PDA

View Full Version : Pilot in China

Speedy Gonsalez
6th Dec 2008, 16:08
I have a couple of questions concerning being pilot in China:

1. Do you have to speak Chinese or is English enough? (Seems to be a stupid question, but I´ve read in the ?german? magazine AERO International that a few Austrian Airlines which were released because of the decreasing long-haul fleet are now employed by China Eastern!)

2. Is there a card with the right of living and/or working there available if an airline from there takes you (or in case of studying in China)?

3. How about the salaries and living costs (Shanghai or Beijing prefered)?

4. Does somebody know from foreign pilots in China and about those ex-Austrian pilots?

Thanks for any help!!!

On Final
6th Dec 2008, 20:11
Here is a thread with plenty of information about flying in China.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/348697-if-you-want-work-china.html

Cretan Airbus
7th Dec 2008, 10:29
Hi Speedy, let's see if I can help.

You need not know any Chinese to be hired here. Some carriers in China will hire you specifically because they don't have enough english proficient pilots. You will be paired with a "english proficient" f/o, and/or be given an interpreter in the cockpit, depending on where you work. that said, learning a bit of Mandarin wouldn't hurt.
The carrier that you contract with normally takes care of your work visa and residency permit.
The salaries are generally high as far as contract pilots go in the current world economy. Expect USD 11,000 -15,000 gross pay depending on where you work. Some companies, such as China Eastern, will deduct Chinese taxes which are typically credited in your home country (although rumor has it Barack will eliminate that). Living in China is relatively inexpensive relative to your salary. In the case of China Eastern, you are provided a very nice hotel in Shanghai.
I'm not sure if the Austrian A330/340 pilots are still at China Eastern. The rumor is that either they or China Eastern did not renew the contract when it came up.There are still plenty of decent jobs in China. China Eastern is a decent job to consider if you already have an income or can wait out the process, which takes several months. They occasionally hire expat Captains onto their A330/340, but I've not heard of them hiring into their narrowbodies.

One of the better deals out there now, at least if you are an American, is with Juneyao Airlines on the A320 in Shanghai. VOR Holdings is having Juneyao perform pilot evaluations in Denver next month, which will complete the interview, simulator evaluation, CAAC medical exam, and ATP written all at once. This is a great opportunity, as many pilots spend a lot of time and money coming to China only to be washed out later.

I hope this helps -

Cretan

DesiPilot
9th Dec 2008, 04:15
May be someone can shed some light on this; I was just told that the CAAC had implemented certain security measure at the time of Olympics. Of couse, my country, India, is on the list and I was told that I may not be approved by the CAAC for the same reason. Now two questions:

1) Is this ruling applicable for pilots who are citizen of India or pilot whose license is issued by India? If later, I can always go to the FAA land and get myself a type rating?

2) Any chances this ruling will be lifted any time soon in near future?

Thanks in advance.

:) DesiPilot

Cretan Airbus
9th Dec 2008, 07:08
I'm not entirely sure; probably the best route for you would be to contact a few reputable agencies who specialize in Chinese airlines and see what they tell you.

Background checks are typically conducted in the country of citizenship, and aviation backround checks (license verification, accident record, etc) will be conducted by the country of issue for your airman certificate. That's how it normally works anyway, but I don't know what special provisions may be in effect with India, particularly since this last round of violence.

Cretan

AlphaBravoCharlie
22nd Dec 2008, 02:04
As a potential expat coming to China for contract work I am wondering what the tax situation is on salary? Are we required to pay tax in China? ( I understand East China deducts tax but we can get it back in USA...how much is deducted?) What about the other airlines there? I am from Canada and am not sure what my government at home would require...
Thanks