PDA

View Full Version : Air Southwest

silverstreak
5th Dec 2008, 21:52
Father-in-law was a passenger on the ASW flight out of PLH last night (04 DEC 08) heading for GLA. Whilst over Wales, the captain came on and advised of an immediate return to PLH due to 'Navigational issues with the aircraft'. The aircraft was yawing quite noticably just before the announcement...

Upon landing at PLH, the passengers were taken off the aircraft and put back into the terminal building. A spare Dash8 was available at PLH and they commenced their journey 40 mins later without incident.

In the local PLH paper today, there is an article regarding this flight saying that 12 fire engines were scrambled from nearby stations, and local roads around PLH were closed until the aircraft was on the deck.

Anyone have any further?

jerboy
6th Dec 2008, 02:16
I don't know anything specific about the incident, but I'm familiar with ASW and PLH (thought usually I see it from inside my Dash whilst waiting for the onward to BRS)

PLH is a *very* small airport... I can quite see how an aircraft scare could alert the whole town into believing their was an emergency. However, if there was a <i>real</i> scare over S Wales I'm sure their CWL or EXT would be forefront in the Pilots' minds at the time (longer runways, better facilities etc).

They would have only returned to PLH due a relatively minor fault, where it would have been much more convenient to the passengers.

But give me G-WOWA/B/C/D/E to travel on... and I will do without any hesitation... right now.

PS I'm sure there's an ASW thread knocking around already... feel free to merge!!

L G Double-Yew
6th Dec 2008, 20:37
This "incident" was a complete non-event. One instrument not working, on one side only (either Capt's side, or FO's side, don't know which). Flight returned to Plymouth, and passengers switched to another aircraft which was ready to go. A bit inconvenient for pax, but definitely not an emergency of any kind.

Capot
7th Dec 2008, 15:25
The aircraft was yawing quite noticably just before the announcement...The 180 turn to head back, maybe? Almost certainly. Funny how after the announcement the passenger's recollection was of "noticeable yawing" rather than the rate 1 turn it would have been. Perhaps with a FL change?

I'm sure that's what he remembered. It's just an example of how memories are coloured by subsequent events, something which means that eye-witness accounts are rarely accurate.