PDA

View Full Version : Free hours?

Cirrusly
5th Dec 2008, 21:51
After i've completed my CPL I was thinking of getting a 206 endorsement and going to a couple of friends I have in the industry who both own a 206 and working for them to gain some hours. Is this a sound idea or is there more to it than I first thought?

Taxidriver009
5th Dec 2008, 23:28
Are you a commercial pilot?
Is your license free?
Is your medical free?
Is your 206 endorsement free?

If your friends in the industry give you a "free" endorsement, by all means return the "favour" for say 10 hrs. After that, ask yourselve above questions. Remember, once you gained the experience and are looking for a job, the "industry" will be using their "friends" to work for free, and you will be sitting at home...............

Cirrusly
5th Dec 2008, 23:48
Taxidriver,

I think you've misinterpreted what i've said.

Gordy
6th Dec 2008, 00:09
CRG,

I think you've misinterpreted what i've said.

I interpreted it just like taxidriver did. Maybe you could explain a little better.

Cirrusly
6th Dec 2008, 00:51
Sorry for the confusion, I am not far off getting my CPL. I have paid for everything as most people do, I will pay for a 206 endorsement. What i'm asking is, is there more to just getting an endorsement and then flying a friends machine for free or mates rates? Any hidden catches more or less?

FH1100 Pilot
6th Dec 2008, 01:48
Oops, sorry CRG! I think that most of us here thought you were offering to work for your "friends" for free after getting your CPL/206 endorsement. This would probably not be looked upon favorably by, oh, EVERY other working pilot in the industry.

But if that is not what you meant...

Why on earth would anyone let you fly their machine for free? It costs *them* money, doesn't it? And what are "mate's rates?" Is that a British thing?

hef
6th Dec 2008, 03:22
Insurance will probably be an issue.

If you have the money I say go for it.

He's not working so the 'don't work for free' argument doesn't stand up.

FH1100 Pilot- I thought this phrase was used everywhere but obviously not. Mate's rates means getting goods and/or services at a cheaper price/rate because you are dealing with friends.

Taxidriver009
6th Dec 2008, 04:00
Maybe your "friend" is giving you mate's rate to cover his increased insurance payment like hef mentioned. If your friend has any business sense he will still be making money while expecting some form of loyalty for "helping" you out (usually over Christmas and various other public holidays.....). In my opinion this will be the only "hidden cost" involved.

You are obviously aware of the dangers of doing "business" with friends and family?

He's not working so the 'don't work for free' argument doesn't stand up.

That is only true up to the point where the CPL is obtained. Up to that point I fully agree, go for it! If you have the money to make yourself more marketable, do it!

FH1100 Pilot
6th Dec 2008, 04:04
Hef said:He's not working so the 'don't work for free' argument doesn't stand up.

Yeaaaaaah, uhhhhhh. Except! that... CharlieRomeoGolf originally said that he was going to get his 206 endorsement and that he had...friends I have in the industry who both own a 206 and working for them to gain some hours.

"Working for them..."

Guess I misunderstood. Guess I still do.

Taxidriver009
6th Dec 2008, 04:10
I'm sure he's getting the message, if not nuf said!

Cirrusly
6th Dec 2008, 05:25
hahaha message received loud and clear, thanks guys:ok:

hef
6th Dec 2008, 05:40
Wow my mistake. I must read thing's first so I don't insult my fellow forum members. Obviously I'm talking amongst the notoriously humble aviation community :rolleyes:

I don't think bourbon and internet forums mix...

I guess I came to that conclusion because a 110ish hour pilot couldn't (shouldn't?) fly a JR commercially. Unless it's not insured...or maybe they have an extremely genorous insurance provider?

Taxidriver009
6th Dec 2008, 07:23
because a 110ish hour pilot couldn't (shouldn't?) fly a JR commercially

Did I miss something somewhere? Enjoy the bourbon........