PDA

View Full Version : Another Qf incident????

chksatis
5th Dec 2008, 11:32
heard on the radio apparently, qf aircraft towed onto wrong taxiway in syd and aircraft sunk into taxiway?? QF21 cancelled tonight?? any truth to the rumour??

the wizard of auz
5th Dec 2008, 11:51
It wouldn't be a rumor if someone confirmed it. :}

VH-JJW
5th Dec 2008, 12:09
Yep.

QF just can't get it right at the moment.

One wonders if it is bad luck or something else...

Did someone say the 'Worlds most experienced airline'?

starfish1
5th Dec 2008, 13:08
Not sure if it was towed.
Looked like it had pax on board.:rolleyes:

ejectx3
5th Dec 2008, 13:22
Yeah was full and in the mud.....oops

j3pipercub
5th Dec 2008, 20:15
Looked hilarious, all the orange safety car lights going offf around it, HA!

j3

Mr.Buzzy
5th Dec 2008, 20:33
Bummer. Easy done at a ****house place like Sydney!

If this can happen at home base with experienced people; imagine what it must be like for foreign crews on a dark and rainy night.

On clear sunny days how many times have you heard crews (tugs included) taking wrong taxiways etc.

The place is a joke and it's becoming funnier by the day! Plenty of new shops in the terminals I notice but the solution to the garbage state of the movement area is to add yet another bull**** NOTAM to the list neverending. Who can honestly say that they are able to accurately read and understand every one of those Sydney NOTAMS. What a joke!!!!!!! Talk about an arse covering exercise!!!

To the staff involved in last nights fiasco. Report well and thanks for highlighting the shortcomings of our countries gateway!:ok:

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Track5milefinal
5th Dec 2008, 21:44
Any pics out yet?

Starts with P
5th Dec 2008, 22:41
It was a QF A330 being towed from maintenance to the international side. No PAX on board, just a lot of fuel. It was being repositioned to be QF 21.

Was supposed to take Charlie and Golf, but took Bravo 6 instead!

Ron & Edna Johns
5th Dec 2008, 22:49
Mr Buzzy - you are so right. I don't know of anyone who properly reads those bull$#!t SYD taxiway Notams. Too many, too convoluted, too hard, too little time. One day something important will be missed. No matter, blame the Captain.

I had to laugh the other day also. Went on a little o/s holiday to an island in the Pacific where everyone says "Wee Wee". After transferring from the SYD domestic to the international I was amazed at the amount of construction going on. (What is that hole just past transit security screening going to be - a swimming pool??). And it's ALL for more bloody shops. But being Australia, with the Australian work ethic sense-of-urgency showing, nothing's ready for Christmas of course! So they've taken to setting up the new "shops" along the walls of the construction sites! Got to get a few extra Xmas dollars rolling into the Macquarie coffers, probably to pay for the MQG bonuses and redundancies!

Sydney, gotta love it. Not.

Track5milefinal
5th Dec 2008, 22:57
Was supposed to take Charlie and Golf, but took Bravo 6 instead!

They won't be taking anymore shortcuts anytime soon!:ok:

flypy
7th Dec 2008, 07:09
Yes saw this one on Fri night after paxing from MEL. Twas a rather amusing sight, looked like it had cut the corner quite substantially.

How many ground vehicles with orange flashy lights does it take to rescue a bogged A330?

discus177
7th Dec 2008, 07:18
Oh perhaps, 20, reminds me of a day in Brisbane a few weeks ago, all the BAC execs were viewing a sewer main which erupted in the long term domestic carpark, there was perhaps 10 of them. :ugh:

Trojan1981
7th Dec 2008, 20:45
Mr Buzzy - you are so right. I don't know of anyone who properly reads those bull$#!t SYD taxiway Notams. Too many, too convoluted, too hard, too little time. One day something important will be missed. No matter, blame the Captain.

Very True

You should hear the 'Safety' officers crap on about "useless pilots not reading NOTAMs". The place is driven purely for profit. That means minimum maintenence staff and as a result, constant pavement failures and patch up work. They are very quick to book some poor tug driver just trying to do his job on flat hourly rate or bollocks some metro pilot for taking the wrong turn in a sea of red unservicability lights at night. Wanabes...

I breifly worked there a few years ago and was asked by a manager (who is still there) "What is more important-safety or profit?"
"safety first-then profit" was my answer.
This was apparently wrong because he then spent the next twenty mins explaining how profit and business was far more important. This is how he runs his arm of airport operations.

Willoz269
7th Dec 2008, 22:45
I really don't understand the comments here...the tug driver got given instructions for Charlie and Golf, but took Bravo 6, and this is the Airport's fault????? Everytime I have been to Sydney the taxyways are clearly marked, and if you are not sure of your position, you put the brakes on and ask the SMC for taxy assistance, it is that simple.

Maybe what is wrong with our airline industry is that there are very few people willing to take ownership for their errors and very quick to point the finger to the main agency???

This happened in Brisbane and in Adelaide before, every single time it was either the crew or the tow driver's fault for not following instructions. Why would it be the airport, the profit, the clouds, or whatever else you want to blame it on?

HotDog
7th Dec 2008, 23:57
When the tug reached Bravo 6, the nose wheel suddenly turned and forced the tug down Bravo 6. The aircraft recently underwent a C check in Hong Kong.:ugh:

billabongbill
8th Dec 2008, 01:26
Lester..........looking for the bogeyman? Those Chinamen from SIN must really scare you! They will surely swarm over Oz replacing the really anal fair dinkums.........case of real " amarillo " peril!

*Lancer*
8th Dec 2008, 07:23
Qantas bogged down by more problems - Travel - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/qantas-bogged-down-by-more-problems/2008/12/08/1228584737729.html)

Come on SMH, normally your reporting is moderately above relative non-events like this! :ugh:

Qantas 787
8th Dec 2008, 08:13
The SMH have really lowered thier standards recently - they are becoming more like News Limited everyday.

I don't whats more laughable - the fact they think this is a major news headline for the day or that they have to use this site for the information (how could your 'sources' miss it :E)

HAWK21M
8th Dec 2008, 08:17
Is it just bad luck...or the media is watching QF closely & reporting on everything.:)
regds
MEL

TexanPilot
8th Dec 2008, 08:43
Is it just bad luck...or the media is watching QF closely & reporting on everything

No they are just reading Pprune and copying it all from here.:ugh:

Keg
8th Dec 2008, 15:11
The linked report to the SMH would indicate that it may not have been the tug driver's fault.

Qantas confirmed the incident saying a towbar holding the aircraft to the truck had failed and two of the jet's wheels went onto the grass beside the taxiway

TWT
8th Dec 2008, 17:23
Not the work of any SMH journalist,the source is AAP as mentioned once in the article and at the bottom of the page.Journalistic standards are dropping because of job cuts at Fairfax.Research and accuracy are becoming a thing of the past.

And no,I don't work at Fairfax nor have I ever done so.

Kangaroo Court
8th Dec 2008, 19:50
You better not go to London or Washington Dulles in January if you can't find your way around Sydney!! Holy crap, what a bunch of whiners!! Sh!t, I'm looking out the window at nearly half a foot of snow right now.

Capt Kremin
8th Dec 2008, 20:54
That journalists look at PPRUNE as a source of information is no surprise.
However if you look at Rumours and News you will see any amount of incidents happening around the world of far greater import and severity than a A330 getting bogged while under tow. The fact that no mention of these incidents is made, calls into question the balance and motives of these reporters.
Reading the Fairfax press in particular, you could be forgiven for thinking that Qantas was on a par with some of the dodgier African airlines.
In the Australian today, a survey was published that has 37% of Australian women thinking QF was not safe.
This is entirely due to the irrational reporting of everyday events and the lack of knowledge about what journalists are actually reporting.
The two serious incidents should actually be examples of how safe Qantas is. Both were one-in-a-million occurrences that were in no way the fault of Qantas. Both were brilliantly handled by the flight and cabin crews involved.
The depressurised 747 was heading for 10,000 feet within seconds of the bottle exploding. That failure was unique in modern aviation.
The A330 crew were faced with a situation of system failures that is also possible unique in aviation, yet both crews reacted superbly and got their respective aircraft on the ground in a safe and timely manner.
Two random average Qantas crews faced with bolts from the blue that were handled impeccably.
To you journalists reading this. How about being correct rather than just being first? How about some balance? How about a thought for the impression you seem to be seeking to create, that has almost one third of australians actually thinking that QF is unsafe?

Roller Merlin
9th Dec 2008, 01:57
Seems that PPrune is now a quoteable source of reliable witness information according to the Melbourne Age today:

""...One observer told the pprune website: "(It) looked hilarious, all the orange safety car lights going off around it."" (J3pipercub)

Watch what you say boys ....it might end up recorded against your name should some investigative journalist dig further!!

Qantas plane gets bogged at Sydney Airport (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/another-mishap-as-qantas-plane-gets-bogged-20081209-6ua2.html)

LambOfGod
10th Dec 2008, 10:01
j3pipercub (http://www.pprune.org/members/76766-j3pipercub)
Yeah, good on ya for getting a quote in there:D

Ngineer
10th Dec 2008, 20:57
Is it just bad luck...or the media is watching QF closely & reporting on everything

A bit more than bad luck. Either way, I am glad for our sake that someone is keeping a close eye on QF, because I dont trust them anymore.

Captain Peacock
10th Dec 2008, 22:34
OMG! :eek: More QF maintenance woes.

My reading light didn't work the other day in seat 24F. I thought I was going to die.

Led Zep
11th Dec 2008, 00:44
"QANTAS plane 'PLUNGED' into darkness: Passenger."

Ski Guru
11th Dec 2008, 02:40
Ngineer are you serious?

I mean really serious? You don't trust them anymore. May I ask who is on your trust list?

Ngineer
12th Dec 2008, 02:35
Used car salesman and real estate agents.

Yeah, right mate...

(PS; Santa Clause, Tooth Fairies and The Easter Bunny Also).

max autobrakes
12th Dec 2008, 06:46
Up there with Qantas Management as well I bet.:}

rotaryman
12th Dec 2008, 20:05
Trojan1981
You should hear the 'Safety' officers crap on about "useless pilots not reading NOTAMs". The place is driven purely for profit. That means minimum maintenence staff and as a result, constant pavement failures and patch up work. They are very quick to book some poor tug driver just trying to do his job on flat hourly rate or bollocks some metro pilot for taking the wrong turn in a sea of red unservicability lights at night. Wanabes...

I breifly worked there a few years ago

You leave us all in no doubt as to why you are no longer there....:ugh:

The key word here being brief.....:D

The Mr Fixit
16th Dec 2008, 11:13
Haven't visited for a while being incognito elsewhere but was much said about the A330 that returned to Perth on one engine after all of it's oil was dumped overboard (oh the poor fish).

Word on the Tarmac is that it was straight out of a OS maint facility with no oil in the starters........can anyone substantiate this ?

FULLY SICK DICK
16th Dec 2008, 11:26
Mr fixit....

It would seem that your sources are very accurate. Consider it lucky that the other starter did not end up with the same fate.

Oh, these MRO's are really worth it!:}

teresa green
17th Dec 2008, 03:35
Why did this A/C have a "C" check in Honkers? what the hell is wrong with having one here? They have been running off the runway since Pontious was a Pilot, and will continue to do so, every so often, nature of the beast, big bloody deal.

blow.n.gasket
17th Dec 2008, 04:47
What were all those Engineer management types all travelling up to Hong Kong in first class recently going for?
Why did that non destructive spar check that normally takes a few days to do get signed off in a few hours?
Why are there now lots of Qantas engineers overseeing maintainence up there instead of the one guy that used to do it?
How many other D checks have been done up there?:confused:
Profitability before safety before Schedule??:ok: