PDA

View Full Version : Caas Atpl...

Flaperon777
4th Dec 2008, 06:22
Hey all,
An old friend of mine from India just got hired for Tiger.He's started his course and is just about to pick up his CAAS type endorsed singapore ATP.
I assume this one will be issued on the basis of his Indian licence.
Does he have to keep his Indian licence current in order to exercise the preveliges of his caas issued atp in the future? I'm not sure of the answer either.So this query...
Similarly is the same true if one joins with an FAA ATP?
Thanks.

FMGCS
4th Dec 2008, 10:31
CAAS will convert any license to a Singaporean CPL or ATPL as long as you have a sponsor (SIA, SilkAir, Tigers, etc..)

Some licenses can be converted by doing a simple airlaw exam, some need to sit for HPL and some for a Tech exam (ATPL stuff). Depends on total jet time also. I have seen guys converting a FAA without problems. When doing your TR or Base Check in S'pore, it then will be added to your newly converted CAAS license. Provided you passed the aircraft tech exam also.

Whatever you want to do with your other licenses is up to you. It has nothing to do with your CAAS license anymore.

Hope this helps. The key for all this is your 'sponsor'.

Cheers.
FMGCS

Flaperon777
4th Dec 2008, 10:46
Thanks FMGCS,
I noticed you used the word CAAS will "CONVERT".So effectively the CAAS ATP would be a "new" licence onto itself would'nt it..?
Therefore if in future he decides to let his licence of origin lapse for whatever reason,it should'nt effect his CAAS licence i guess.As long as he flies on the CAAS licence.His 'sponsor' is Tiger airways btw.
Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Metro man
4th Dec 2008, 13:14
CAAS issue a validation of a foreign ATPL only to fly a 9V reg aircraft for a flight test to gain a Singapore licence.

The licence issued is a full, stand alone Singapore one not dependent on any other licence having to be kept current. Probably worth keeping your foreign one going as I'm not too sure about CAAS renewing it if you don't have a job or any residence in Singapore.

Seem to be going the JAA way so who knows, may be interchangable one day.

rdr
4th Dec 2008, 13:46
Rule number 1 in aviation,,,,,,,,,,,,, you never give up a licence.
Especially the basic one where you did your hard work and time.

Left Wing
5th Dec 2008, 02:13
Rule number 1 in aviation,,,,,,,,,,,,, you never give up a licence.... guys with EK, CX etc etc all go back to FAA / JAA simulators to keep their "home" licence current...and stay current on the jet you got max time on...
With DGCA India ATPL you will have to back to jet airways to keep current since they are the only DGCA approved TRTO in India...