PDA

View Full Version : Life in UAE (Etihad and Emirates).

Gazeem
3rd Dec 2008, 10:00
Pilots moan, if they don't something is wrong.

Could anyone shed some light on what life is like flying in UAE?
Thinking primarily about Etihad but perhaps also Emirates.

I have spent several months living in hotels in Abu Dhabi four years ago and quite like the place but can I ask?

What kind of place can you afford of the FO's housing salary, how often are you at home/away? Is the roster stable? What is the working environment like, how are the other guys? Is there a social scene for families outside of work? Does the shine rub off UAE or is it still pretty cool (scraped ice off my car this morning back in blighty)

As you can tell a lot of these questions are aimed at placating OC Domestic.

Whilst standing by for the normal type of replies - any good points or PMs are very welcome.

Ta very much,

Gazeem

Fart Master
3rd Dec 2008, 13:38
Please excuse my 'Normal type of reply'...... is that the term??

But why start your post with that crap and then expect people to supply you with information.

These types of questions have been done to death, I suggest you use your search function:ugh:

Yours Sincerely.............. your normal type of replier

Gazeem
3rd Dec 2008, 15:45
This can be the problem with Pprune getting the wheat from the chaff. The amount of times I see a newbie getting flamed for asking an innocent question.

I'm not a newbie - I'm far older and uglier! BTW Etihad had a whacking big add in this weeks flight, so it's new news and relevant.

FM fantastic point about the search function. But as I'm sure you know airlines change quickly and if nobody ever posted a question this board would probably be a lot duller. Do you have any good points you'd like to share?

Iver
3rd Dec 2008, 17:18
I too am interested in any new perspectives on life in the UAE for newhires. Do many Etihad pilots commute from Dubai?

Laker
3rd Dec 2008, 18:35
This question has not been addressed that thoroughly on here. There is loads of info concerning interviews/growth/aircraft types/etc...But not a whole lot on living in Abu Dhabi and expat social life. Unless you count the 'day in the life of a UAE guy' thread. I took that to be comedy...

KRUGERFLAP
4th Dec 2008, 05:05
I suggest you guys come down to UAE to visit. Get a Vacation and come to see with your own eyes.Bring your wife along and feel the life.Everyone see things in a different way.Impressions are just this,IMPRESSIONS. Each one of us see things in our way!

1 to 2 weeks will clarify you most things!

Never take steps based in people´s advice. Neither mine! LOL

Enjoy the fresh air from the GULF now.

Fart Master
4th Dec 2008, 16:06
Gazeem, you do have a point re: guys getting 'flamed', but I respectfully suggest you re-read the first line of his post, it hardly invites a respectful response.

I only know Dubai.. personally I think the place is a bit of a sh*thole thriving on Incompetence and Greed......... and as for the driving JEEEEZ, I was out in town today, I never fail to be amazed at the depth of inconsiderate behaviour shown by some people........... Sitting a foot of my ass end flashing your lights at me in the driving rain........ what effing planet were these morons bred on.

But.... I happen to think my Job is spot on, driving buses around the sky.

....All he had to do was ask nicely you know:ok:

FlyingCroc
4th Dec 2008, 16:42
It is written here on Thousands of posts what it is like, and yes all the places are basically the same holes, hot, dusty, crazy driving and morons on the street, greedy landlords, high inflation, nothing to do except some malls, desert 4 wheeling and some beaches. That's it. It is in the posts ad nauseam.
The only choice is the airline, and there again they are basically to my understanding also all the same, more or less the same money and equipment, maybe EK is the premium choice.