PDA

View Full Version : SAA - low timer recruitment?

johnny_18
3rd Dec 2008, 00:16
Hi All, Hoe gaan dit...

Ive been in touch with SAA lately and trying to get an interview, not to much avail might I add.
Basically I meet entrance criteria (except I have JAR FCL-1 licence, not SA CAA licence). There is a very kind helpful lady, Petra, who informs me that mostly white females and 'coloured' males are employed.

How long can one expect to wait? or is it game over?

Mango/Kulula are somewhat appealing; then again not much of a Boeing driver. If anybody is willing to help please get in touch

Current on A320 series with +1,600 hours on type. LVP CAT IIIB and short/narrow runway ops certified etc...

Any ideas on returning to S.Africa to fly much appreciated.

J.

P.S. Slaapfaan, hou jou mond

unstable load
3rd Dec 2008, 02:17
Nicely put, loungefart.

How long can one expect to wait? or is it game over?

johnny,

I don't think it's all over yet. SAA is currently undergoing yet another restructuring that will no doubt cost the taxpayer dearly and they will carry on with the sterling job they are doing until...........
SAA is undergoing another restructuring that will no doubt cost the taxpayer dearly etc etc

As for how long can you expect to wait, I really think you should pursue alternative methods of coming back to flying in SA even if it means having to fly Boeings if you are serious about it as the SAA route would seem to be closed to you right now.

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Dec 2008, 03:14
My information, as example, is with Eskom. The government electricity flight department is short of pilots = but do not apply unless you are a black female.
Perhaps, as other companies in SA, they will take black females who are not citizens. Certainly and recently, CAA in SA have given validations to Nigerians to fly for an SA jet company at Lanseria when there are local whites who would love the jobs.
This is of course not at all a racist or sexist employment policy, it entitles itself affirmative action.

Malagant
3rd Dec 2008, 13:38
Why bother to come to SA with the impressive CV:ooh:..check out flightinternationaljobs.com there are lots of contract positions available for A320 crew etc..:ok:

ested
3rd Dec 2008, 19:17
Don't listen to them J.
They are just part of the broader community of SAA bashers and negative-towards-SA okes (albeit some justified)

Notice how little the SAA boys defend things people have to say on this site? It's like arguing with little kids (some of them) so they just don't bother.

If you have a positive attitude and a good CV, keep trying.

SAA have taken in more than 70 new recruits in the last year.

Trust me, Iv'e done the research and come up with a few conclusions, such as:
1 Flying is the best job in the world,
2 SAA is the best company to fly for in SA (and that's without even taking the salary or the best machinary into account)
3 Living in SA as a south african is, despite it's problems, still the best country in the world to live.

Of the above, I am 100% sure, so keep trying.
Regards
Ested

johnny_18
3rd Dec 2008, 19:57
nail on the head!
one gets a little 'gatvol' of living abroad as an expat sometimes.
Hopefully I will, in time, have the pleasure of working onboard SAA with a gentleman like you. And living in one of the most beautiful countries on this planet.

In the meantime, I will keep up the hours and wait (somewhat) patiently

Malagant
4th Dec 2008, 06:08
Ested..not all of us want to be a SAA pukey:yuk: and frankly we don`t really care, maybe you should look at some corporate jobs in SA and what they fly and earn and realize that SAA aint the end all and be all and not all of us want to get into that institution, and nobody is SAA bashing:ouch:, except for the stuff you read in the papers..all am saying is that with the amount of time that the guy has on the 320 that there is other work available now, and if he wants to wait for a position in the BEE and affirmative action SAA he is welcome to do so:ok:

groundfloor
4th Dec 2008, 07:45
Hi Johnny, SAA have taken an A340 driver from Emirates as a A319 co-pilot.

He`s happy, so its up to you. If you don`t swing you can`t hit.

Good luck!

journeyman
4th Dec 2008, 17:04
Quote "Hi Johnny, SAA have taken an A340 driver from Emirates as a A319 co-pilot.
He`s happy, so its up to you. If you don`t swing you can`t hit."

Don't know what the above statement actually proves as the exodus TOWARDS Emirates from SAA now totals at least 50. One thing's for sure though: said driver will not see the left-hand seat of his ex-340 for many, many moons. But as long as he's happy, that's the main thing...

Now, I have just one question: If SA is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet (johnny18) and for a South African, still the best country to live in (ested) and SAA is still the best company in SA to fly for (ested again), why have 50 pilots left SAA for that flat, hot, featureless dunghole in the Middle East that is EK, and only 2 over the last 7 years returned?

(Answers on a postcard please - that way you'll save them the trouble of steaming open the envelope to check for money)