PDA

View Full Version : Any Boneyard's in Aus??

LambOfGod
2nd Dec 2008, 07:19
I want to go to a boneyard, they look awesome but have only seen them in the U.S.

Does anyone here know where some Oz one's are and what type of aircraft they have. Would they alow you to go walking around inside planes?;)?

Kickatinalong
2nd Dec 2008, 07:37
I don't think so Mohomad:ugh::ugh:

LambOfGod
2nd Dec 2008, 07:44
hmmm, my FI likes to tell me about desision making. So I'll choose to live... yay!!

whats with the "mohamad" bit. Is it something to do with terrorism? A few people have reffered to the practice in my threads...

waren9
2nd Dec 2008, 07:48
Or try Woodbourne/Ohakea, NZ. You'll find a whole fleets of A4 Skyhawks and Macchi's sitting round just waiting for their photo to be taken.

PS. Thanks Helen.

:yuk:

PPS Infact, go to any RNZAF base and you'll find something lying round waiting for the next gummint budget/pacific island disaster so it can do some more flying.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
2nd Dec 2008, 08:28
Until recently you could drive down the back street at Jandakot (Compass Rd I think) and 300 metres on the left there was always an old crashed something or other... not really a bone yard, have to go to Arizona for that. On that matter, I saw a bone yard in Florida once, a bunch of S-3 Vikings all in shrink wrap (I was told that much of the air was sucked out and with it the moisture before sealing). A bit funny as even then the USN decision makers had decread that the S-3 had seen it's day.

FRQ CB

coconut99
2nd Dec 2008, 08:32
You could always try the growing Qantas boneyard at Avalon :E

Ultralights
2nd Dec 2008, 08:49
Bankstown airport? http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/ne_nau.gif

Jamair
2nd Dec 2008, 11:00
The 'Mojave Desert' at the northern end of the CS GA lines - ancient Bongos, Part-bananas, the odd Nevergo and even a Campervan that went swimming at Green Is.:}

The 'Mohamed' bit may also be due to the moniker - seriously, 'Lamb of God'???:rolleyes:

Flying Binghi
2nd Dec 2008, 11:57
I want to go to a boneyard, they look awesome but have only seen them in the U.S.

There be no wastage in the Oz military - they are flown till they crash....Heck, there are still radials flying in green ;)

Trojan1981
2nd Dec 2008, 20:56
There be no wastage in the Oz military - they are flown till they crash....Heck, there are still radials flying in green

Nowra used to have a great boneyard. Amberley and Richmond do atm as well!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/trojan1981/Nowrabombdump.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/trojan1981/January1996Nowra.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/trojan1981/Image5.jpg

Hercfix
2nd Dec 2008, 23:40
Richmond has two (soon to be 4) H model hercs parked on the tarmac and removed from service and 3 B707 also removed from service.

HarleyD
3rd Dec 2008, 00:55
Jamair,

i have been to Mojave quite a bit and while I have seena LOT of planes there, most of them are awaiting new lessees or owners, (saw heaps of the Ansett fleet there a few years ago). the actual bone yard for the aircraft that are awaiting scrap is smaller though still big by any Aus standard. didn't see any GA types though, maily large commercial and ex mil and old drones. there are acouple of C 133's waaay down the back.

Lots of vintage mil jets fly regularly there for TP training and weapons systems testing etc.

Saw them push an ex NASA F100 super sabre off the lot and into a hangar then fly it away 2 days later after god knows how many years out in the desert. the original F111 prototype is still there in a scrap yard on the bakersville rd. this is a very famous aircraft as I have heard many tales from the flight test crews about how it ended up with the two wings at slightly different angles and also how it 'accidently' got airbourne with concrete 'blivets attached to the underwing pylons during a high speed taxi run after it had been grounded officially. an aussie at the wheel i believe!!

NTPS has several GA types at their School as well as the macchis and Drakens, pitts, chippys, c.150as and even a cherokee 140 with full span flaps and spoilers. Apart from the USAF Aux Airvans at Flight Research Inc there is not much other GA stuff there that is not in private hangers.

HD

flysaucer1200
3rd Dec 2008, 01:00
Love your work ''LambOfGod',

keep up the questions, only way to keep learning.

You seem like a bit of a leggggend mate

Awsome stuff mate :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Cheers
Fs12o0

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Dec 2008, 02:20
My neighbours live close to a boneyard...... gotta love this warm weather!

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sms777
3rd Dec 2008, 02:36
There is a boneyard in Lithgow NSW.... Just ask for Ivan Milat... he will show you around.

ad-astra
3rd Dec 2008, 04:03
Edited by ad-astra

sms777
3rd Dec 2008, 05:44
That is not what i was referring to :ugh:
Feel free to PM me if you need an explanation.... this is not the place for it :=

ad-astra
3rd Dec 2008, 06:01
Deleted by ad-astra