Section28- BE
2nd Dec 2008, 01:15
Via the SMH website ex the Brisbane Times, today 02/12/08:

Ex-staffer plays games with Virgin Blue

http://images.smh.com.au/2008/12/02/312539/420-virgingame-420x0.jpg
Torsten Koerting's board game

Shannon Molloy

December 2, 2008 - 9:51AM

A disgruntled staffer of Virgin Blue has taken a parting shot at his former employer by designing a board game (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/multimedia/virgingame.pdf) that criticises the company's decision making process.
Torsten Koerting worked for the budget airline in its Brisbane headquarters until last month, when he was knocked back for a promotion and subsequently resigned.
In a farewell e-mail to his colleagues, Mr Koerting attached a copy of the NextGen board game - his spiteful take on the classic Snakes and Ladders format.
Players begin the game in the "hangar" and work towards the final destination, the decision, which is 50 squares away.
Between the start and finish squares are hazards, including slides and ladders, as well as action cards which carry either a bonus or penalty and appear to be modelled on business decision processes.
Actions range from "CEO on holiday - go one step back" to "We are perceived as a hyperactive child with a personality disorder - decide if you go three steps forward or back".
Others take a pot shot at workplace bureaucracy, dealing with lengthy meetings, disinterested managers and pointless project requirements.
In his e-mail, Mr Koerting compares the difficulty in reaching the end of the game to making decisions in real-life at Virgin Blue.
Scenarios described in the game's action cards were "based on some situations we faced". Other staff had given their input, he said.
The face of chief executive Brett Godfrey is used on one of the game pieces.
Virgin Blue did not respond to requests for comment. Mr Koerting also declined to comment.

brisbanetimes.com.au (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Dec 2008, 01:28
Very 'Imaginative'!

Got his point across I reckon, and made himself feel better.

Now, perhaps one of two things could happen -

1. He patents / copyrights the game and makes it commercially available, thus ridiculing Virgin. And I would imagine he had better be able to 'back up' his perceived allegations to avoid a visit from men in suits....

2. Virgin pick up the idea, modify it to their advantage, and either make it commercially available, or give it away to pax (Children) on their flights....
Make it 'complimentary' advertising.

Or it could just fade away....

greenslopes
2nd Dec 2008, 02:07
Well speaking to those at the story bridge hotel, just wondering when the inevitable writeoff of VOz will be announced................then again that requires a decision.

Vorsicht
2nd Dec 2008, 03:45
Vaustralia is will be around for a long while in one form or another. See article below

Qantas to stay Australian | smh.com.au (http://business.smh.com.au/business/qantas-to-stay-australian-20081202-6paj.html)

Even if Virgin run out of funds to keep it afloat over the next year or so, there will be someone close buy ready to take it over in order to get hold of those US rights. In fact, it would not surprise me if Virgin have started this venture with the sole purpose of selling it on asap (as soon as profitable).

V

Wingspar
2nd Dec 2008, 04:05
I'd have to agree that the rights are the only, and I repeat...
the only thing they've got going for them.
It's going to be a big drain on VB resources for a long time! :uhoh:

porch monkey
2nd Dec 2008, 04:15
As they say in the classics, - "Truth hurts"

KRUSTY 34
2nd Dec 2008, 04:30
Quote:

"...it would not surprise me if Virgin have started this venture with the sole purpose of selling it on asap (as soon as profitable).

V"

My God Vorsicht!

I'll have what you're smoking.

Qantas 787
2nd Dec 2008, 08:12
Gotta give him credit - he has put a lot of work into and I am there are many VB staff agreeing with him. He has guts to do it - good on him.

Aerodynamisist
2nd Dec 2008, 10:23
Well done for having a go, an original way of having a gripe at company culture.

This one of a similar concept circulated some time ago.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/aerodynamisist/GAmonopolpy2.jpg

dirty deeds
5th Dec 2008, 22:23
Krusty,

Jump onto VBs website and listen to the AGM! BG states himself that management have not decided whether slide or defer the remaining B777 orders, he also made reference to this operation being set up to be sold! Have a listen!

Maybe thats why they wanted the pilots on a common law contract that would "protect them if the business was ever sold"?

I may be wrong, but one thing is for sure, the overseas and domestic economies have not seen the worst yet, unemployment is on the rise, VB are talking about laying off drivers, yet they want to start an airline to the States when QF is looking at reducing services to the West Coast, bold move V, very bold move!

Flying Monk
8th Dec 2008, 21:58
You can find Torsten Koerting by Googling Torsten Koerting -
Manager IT Program Office
Virgin Blue Airlines