PDA

View Full Version : Out of retirement

Dr Jekyll
1st Dec 2008, 18:49
The Lebanon is reported to be returning Hawker Hunters to operational service after a 10 year gap. What other examples are there of military aircraft returned to duty after being out of service throughout the world?

The only one I can think of is the SR71.

K.Whyjelly
1st Dec 2008, 18:58
They've discussed this a bit on the Mil Forum and discussed exclusively the Hunter returning to ops in various countries.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/350804-return-hunter.html

con-pilot
1st Dec 2008, 20:55
The Douglas B-26 was brought out of retirement for use in Viet Nam. I am not sure about the C-47 conversion into the AC-47 gunship. I cannot remember if the C-47 was retired when the conversions started or not.

V2-OMG!
1st Dec 2008, 21:45
The Douglas B-26 was brought out of retirement for use in Viet Nam. I am not sure about the C-47 conversion into the AC-47 gunship. I cannot remember if the C-47 was retired when the conversions started or not.

A.K.A. "Puff the Magic Dragon."

Fascinating stuff -- how Shirley Temple's "Good Ship Lollipop" evolved into the fire-breathing dragon over 'nam known as Puff.

I was recently talking to a former vet who was privy to the wake of Puff. His memory: "Not a blade of grass was left standing - including the VC."

mr fish
2nd Dec 2008, 15:55
i wish i could say JAGUAR:{
but i'll take a stab at ME109 in slightly different engine configuration- as in a bomber engine!!!