PDA

View Full Version : Shameless LBA spotting question...!

TeddyRuxpin
30th Nov 2008, 18:14
Guys, can anybody let me know what determines in which direction a/c depart or arrive at Leeds? My guess is wind direction or local noise issues at night...

The only reason I ask is that a friend landed at LBA from AMS on Saturday afternoon and I was keen to see his Fokker 70 come in. I positioned myself close to the runway underpass expecting it to touch down from an Ilkley / Otley direction. But it didn't, it approached over Leeds - Cookridge, Horsforth etc !!

As a Mancunian, I aint local, so I accept that I got it all wrong!!

Thanks all...

chiglet
30th Nov 2008, 21:44
In 99% of the time, it's due to wind.:ok:

Yeadon Dam
3rd Dec 2008, 07:36
Anyone know ho much it costs to hire a de-icer truck?

Our driveway at work is like a bloody cresta run today and we could do with nicking a de-icer truck from LBA for an hour or two.

RFFS
3rd Dec 2008, 08:38
Try a bag of Rock salt, cheaper and you wont be at the back of a Que of departing A/C .

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Dec 2008, 17:13
Our driveway at work is like a bloody cresta run today and we could do with nicking a de-icer truck from LBA for an hour or two.

Have you been 'Ice skating' in your Lunch Break Lol?

Regards.

galaxy68
5th Dec 2008, 09:32
TeddyR, any self-respecting pilot would come along the blueway from AMS and make a small right turn off it, upon intercepting the ILS for runway 32 at LBA. Even if the wind favoured 14, accepting a tailwind and landing on 32 would result in arrival on chox 10 mins earlier, thus saving the co money, pleasing the pax and giving more time in the bar. A win-win situation.

SFCC
5th Dec 2008, 18:55
Blueway....bloody hell....that was a while ago! Accepting a tailwind at LBA can be a career diminishing exercise:ouch: