PDA

View Full Version : Knowing when A/C will fly over???

LambOfGod
30th Nov 2008, 08:25
I live about 70km's (straight line) north of Sydney Int (YSSY) and you can see aeroplanes following the same route heading northbound (climbing) and a different path for the desending A/C's heading south. I am guessing the planes are around 15,000ft when climbing, the desending do not fly directly over and are difficult to see, no sound. The turbo's a little lower.

But what I want to know is when they will be flying over, and where they are going.
Where can I find the most accurate place for this info?

Thanks very much to the dude who tells me.
Plus a thanks to anyone else to replies...

Another Q that relates to a story of mine while where on the topic...

It was about 1500-1630 hours and there was quite a large storm. I thought I would go outside to look around, that thunder makes me think of turbine's. So I was standing near my pool and looked up, there were two airliners. One heading north and the other south, the low one almost directly under the other.
I could see the oil and dirty wings and the flaps were out. I would say there were about 1000-2000ft. Was I just a little excited that day (I was about 12yrs old) or was this real? I'm guessing these planes wouldn't fly through the cloud which turned out to be hail so I don't see why not.:E

Plazbot
30th Nov 2008, 08:32
Dear FBI.....

Bomb
terror
Anthrax
Hijack

sms777
30th Nov 2008, 08:33
Let me be the first dude to tell you to log on to Sydney Airports.com .au and follow the links to dep/arr.....
And go to your nearest Tandy store and by a scanner.

:ok:

mr.tos
30th Nov 2008, 08:55
Off the top of my head, 70km north of SY puts you around the Calga NDB. Look up the Calga 6 Arrival into SY.

As for actually seeing the bastards flying over your head, invest in a scanner & deckchair. Just ignore the weird stares from the neighbours :}

kingRB
30th Nov 2008, 08:58
Let me be the first dude to tell you to log on to Sydney Airports.com .au and follow the links to dep/arr.....
And go to your nearest Tandy store and by a scanner.

or you could haxx0r your way into that real time radar monitoring site that was posted on here a few weeks ago :E

LambOfGod
30th Nov 2008, 09:08
I used to own a scanner. Although the best air related thing I got was Bankstown ATIS...

Lets just say I got my refund after two weeks:ok:

DH 200'
30th Nov 2008, 09:09
I remember quite some time ago I was intrigued by the idea of exactly this. Looked up the various airline dep/arr times on their respective websites and worked out the exact time each flight would fly overhead. Could even hear the relevant flights on liveatc.net as they departed syd. Looking back I definitely would've saved some time having known about sydneyairport.com.au:ugh:

Take care,:ok:
DH 200'

morno
30th Nov 2008, 09:36
Lamb of God, sounds like you weren't using the scanner correctly. I own one and pick up quite a bit of air traffic on it.

Give it another go.

morno

Track5milefinal
30th Nov 2008, 10:10
Try Sydney Approach/Dep, pretty active on that frequency!:ok:

LambOfGod
1st Dec 2008, 00:10
Well the only thing from K. Smith was a few muffled "Qantas 737 inbound" etc, kinda muffled and couldnt hear the other line. I susspected Sydney ATC may have gone digital... My scanner was analouge.

Apart from that, where can I buy a cheap scanner new or used.

I havn't done my radio opperating licence or watever it's called yet. So I dont realy know much about the radio in a 150, can I tune to Sydney atc and listen in or are they a different band?

EDIT: I checked out Liveatc.net and it looks prety good. The ony problem is it aint working... Just loads up and says error or cant render file. Any help there, I tried other airports and a few media players on my PC.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Dec 2008, 02:28
Why do I feel 'uneasy' with the theme of this post?

Plazbot, I share yr 'apprehension'(?)....:suspect:

(Standing By for Incoming....)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Dec 2008, 10:26
Yeah Owen.....

As a 'kid' I used to go down to the Truckers depot at St Peters and get some really nice up close photos - the approach lights were in the yard - 16R SY.

Nice, wasn't it??:ok:

Atlas Shrugged
1st Dec 2008, 22:23
Tell me.....is it school holidays yet?

Back Seat Driver
2nd Dec 2008, 00:31
LoG as provided by sms777
try Sydney Airports.com .au (http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Flight+Info/International+Arrivals/) for arrivals / departures next page.

LambOfGod
2nd Dec 2008, 07:02
Back Seat Driver (in general) - I was on the Sydney ap site looking at all the flights heading up north along the coast. Although, they never came:{ Any idea on how long it would take till I see them. I took the flight once and flew over the area, I guessed less than 10 minutes from T/O. Probably takes another 10 for taxiing and more for stuffing around. Are the departure times the time the A/C closes its doors?

Atlas Shrugged - It's holidays for me you bloody sucker, year 10 get's to F-off after they finish there 'difficult' School Certificate exams...:ok: