PDA

View Full Version : QF52

blueloo
30th Nov 2008, 00:41
Slow news day I guess...did anything unusual happen on the QF52 to BNE this morning? Emergency services on Standby.....

I dont think it was to dramatic or exciting, so no need for extreme knicker twisting or genital mutilation... just some info would be nice.
:}

mikk_13
30th Nov 2008, 04:19
hydrolic problem with the steering of the nose wheel I believe. Q51 delayed too

30th Nov 2008, 11:10
Yeah, I had a problem in QF52 back in 1990. Bl**dy kid screamed its head off all the way from SIA to BNE. Should have made the front page as a lot of us in cattle class (the boss at that time was stingy) did not get any sleep.:*

teresa green
30th Nov 2008, 11:35
Yeah, I had a problem with Q52 myself, but I am buggered if I can think what it was. Pehaps we took off on time.

topend3
30th Nov 2008, 11:35
i found it interesting that the captain was interviewed on ABC News commenting on the incident. I haven't seen this before and wondered if this was QF policy.

Although there are lots on this forum who feel the media are unfairly highlighting the spotlight on QF's recent woes, it isn't everyday that an aircraft gets towed off the end of the runway at Brisbane because the steering has failed...

Swanie
30th Nov 2008, 19:58
Were there two separate incidents? I thought a 767 had dramas aswell??...

Fris B. Fairing
30th Nov 2008, 20:28
i found it interesting that the captain was interviewed on ABC News commenting on the incident. I haven't seen this before and wondered if this was QF policy.

Couldn't find a spokeswoman.

blueloo
30th Nov 2008, 20:30
FROM ABC Website: (I tried searching for QANTAS 52 and screaming kids or on time departures but apparently the press aren't interested..... :E )

Qantas plane lands after steering fault

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:25am AEDT
Updated Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53am AEDT

Emergency landing: Qantas says the problem occurred in the plane's landing gear (ABC News: Giulio Saggin, file photo)

Map: Brisbane 4000
A Qantas international flight has touched down without incident at the Brisbane Airport despite problems with its steering system.

The Airbus A330 flight QF52 was carrying 247 passengers and crew from Singapore.

Qantas says the pilot noticed a warning signal mid-flight indicating a problem with a part of the hydraulic steering system.

Ambulance and fire crews were on standby when the plane landed but it appeared to touch down safely.

Qantas says it was a minor technical problem which only affected steering on the ground and the aircraft has been towed to the international terminal.

Passenger Srini Vasan says the pilot told them there was a problem with the aircraft's nose wheel and they would be towed to the terminal once they landed.

He says he could see ambulances and fire trucks on standby but no-one panicked

"I was wondering how he was going to steer the thing before he came to a halt but I guess you can still use the rudder can't you... So I think he did a great job," he said.

Last month, 14 people were seriously injured when a Qantas Airbus A330 nose-dived over Exmouth in Western Australia last month.

tail wheel
30th Nov 2008, 21:18
Sky News:

"The undercarriage doors can be seen flapping in the breeze..."

Additional lift? :}

Merlins Magic
30th Nov 2008, 21:41

I wouldn't call it a formal interview. It looked more like the Captain trying to make his way to the crew bus getting mobbed by the media. His tone suggested more of a 'you can't be serious. Get a grip on reality people' and he expressed the insignificance of the whole situation.

He basically just said what we have all been thinking about the media beat ups lately.:D

future.boeing.cpt
30th Nov 2008, 22:20
He basically just said what we have all been thinking about the media beat ups lately.

fantastic.

Bullethead
30th Nov 2008, 23:16
Dunno whether it was the same reason, or even the same aircraft, but an Airboos 330 also lost it's nosewheel steering into CNS a couple of years ago and blocked the runway for quite sometime and had the pidgeons scattering to ports afar. Be interesting if there was a connection.

Regards,
BH.

ACMS
1st Dec 2008, 15:06
yeah there is a connection.

AVIATION

Best Rate
2nd Dec 2008, 03:43
Bravo C P.... :D (Not many of a tru-er word spoken....)

Cya in the F H soon...

D