PDA

View Full Version : JMC depressurisation?

tunneler
19th May 2001, 15:50
Read in the wonderful rag that is the Daily Record about a JMC flight from Minorca to Manchester yesterday (FRI 18th MAY).....

"TERRIFIED TOURISTS CAUGHT IN AIR ALERT"

'Terrified holidaymakers told how they thought they were going to die yesterday as their aircraft was forced into an emergency descent.

A JMC flight from Minorca to Manchester lost cabin pressure when the air conditioning failed just after take off.

None of the 182 passengers were injured as the A320 Airbus was diverted to land at Palma Airport, Majorca.

But Adrian Bellwood, of huddersfield, who was on board with his wife Julie and baby Eloise, said many had been left shocked.

He said "We thought we were going to die and I think everyone else did as well"

A JMC Airlines spokesman said later "The decision by the captain to make a rapid descent is standard procedure in the event of any fault likely to affect cabin air pressurisation."

END QUOTE

anyone got any REAL info about this - I'm a bit confused as to how an aircraft can make an emergency descent just after take off (unless god's changed the rules about metal aircraft colliding with the ground)

Anyone?

Old King Coal
19th May 2001, 17:58
They write crap like that because, and as we all know, a headline that reads..... "Airliner pressurisation system fails ! Crew conduct 'Standard Operating Procedure' and desend ASAP to a more suitable altitude. No injuries or damage to either pax, crew, or aircraft - all a non-event" just doesn't quite cut-it w.r.t. the journalistic flare that we've come to know and love from the press (aka. not enough of a bullsh!t / scare-monger factor)

......and, imho, it's also got a lot to do with the 'cotton-wool' effect so prevalent today in 'modern' society.

swedish
21st May 2001, 00:19
I am sure if you are an average holiday maker, who boards a flight once a year you would feel like this - it's that PA which makes all the difference. As for the newspapers - a bit over the top, but it isn't exactly 'normal' - how many times has it happened to you?

[This message has been edited by swedish (edited 20 May 2001).]

FE Hoppy
21st May 2001, 14:25
once-mil
once-civvy
that makes
er.....please refer to longhaul brain shrinkage thread.