PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ CEO Performance re crash in Med

BGQ
28th Nov 2008, 20:26
So often extremely negative views are held of airline CEOs.

I would just like to say that I am extremely impressed with the manner in which Rob Fyfe, CEO of Air NZ, has handled himself and of the way in which he has presented Air NZ to the media in the last 24 hours.

I cannot comment on how the company has dealt with the families as I am not directly connected and would not presume to comment on their behalf but externally it looks as though that has been handled very well also.

Rob Fyfe take a bow !:ok:

Trojan01
28th Nov 2008, 21:32
I agree completely. We only saw snippets on the news on this side of the ditch but there were some hallmarks of a real leader evident - sincerity and honesty.
Sincere condolences to the families involved.

1279shp
28th Nov 2008, 21:46
Yup earned his $$'s!!:ok: Can forgive every second word being an uhm due circumstance.

ampclamp
28th Nov 2008, 23:49
he's done a fine job under God awful circumstances.
I believe he's spoken to all the next of kin.That's a tough job.
Being in charge of people who have been killed on the job must be very distessing.

Deepest sympathies to all involved.

topend3
29th Nov 2008, 12:01
hear hear...top job Rob on a very tough day...a true leader...

Cypher
29th Nov 2008, 15:13
3 News > Video > Campbell Live > Air New Zealand CEO discusses air tragedy (http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/CampbellLive/tabid/367/articleID/82039/cat/84/Default.aspx)

I'm not sure if this link works overseas.. but it's of a interview Campbell Live did with Fyfe on Friday afternoon...

My hat goes off to you Mr Fyfe for your handling of what must be one of the most difficult things that a CEO of an airline would ever have to face or deal with.

teresa green
30th Nov 2008, 11:43
Terrible waste of good men, and a lovely aeroplane, certainly well handled in dreadful circumstances. I think it goes without saying, Air New Zealand, we cannot imagine how you feel, but if it helps the rest of us are pretty well stunned by the loss as well.

Frank Burden
30th Nov 2008, 20:27
Cypher,

I have only seen snippets up until now so watched the linked video. I must agree, Rob's humanity is strongly on display.

There is a different type of leadership required during crisis and Rob comes across as having bucket loads of it.

My warmest condolences to the families.

TWT
30th Nov 2008, 23:18
He's still showing outstanding leadership under extremely difficult circumstances :

Airbus crash speculation 'destructive': Air NZ chief | theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/world/airbus-crash-speculation-destructive-air-nz-chief-20081201-6o4f.html)

Capt Wally
1st Dec 2008, 00:48
Shame this CEO doesn't live here in OZ, I'd bet a few would want to steal him to take the controls of a certain other Airline Co. that has had a very poor CEO track record 'till now. Refreshing to read such well handled comments:ok: A human at the top, rare !

CW

The Hill
1st Dec 2008, 18:56
Interesting to note that on his way over to France he helped out with the drinks in economy, a simple gesture in a difficult time

ampan
4th Dec 2008, 05:38
It means Chief Executive Officer,. not Emergency Public Relations Manager.

Fyfe should have stayed at his desk, rather than conducting this silly media handwringing exercise. He is paid to run the company, not stand on on a beach in France looking out to sea.

fourholes
4th Dec 2008, 06:09
:yuk:ampan. you are a twit. An unfeeling, selfish twit. Go lick some more windows..........

Dehavillanddriver
4th Dec 2008, 07:17
Actually he is paid to lead.

And he demonstrated exemplary leadership by the way he conducted himself and by extension by the way Air NZ conducted itself.

It is refreshing to see a true leader in a business

People may disagree with the way that he conducts the business of the company from time to time, but that is part of being a leader - it isnt a popularity contest, but when it comes to crisis such as these - the mark of the man is in his conduct.

From where I sit - and I openly admit I only have press reports to go by - he seems to have done a good job.

We hang **** on management at nearly every opportunity, we should take the opportunity to congratulate on those odd occasions when it is warranted.
:D:ok:

Yusef Danet
4th Dec 2008, 09:34
ampan

I disagree

that's one more example of leading from the front. I am impressed and I know at least one Air NZ crew member reconsidering the redundancy package, feeling more than ever part of a tightly knit family.

Too rarely do we get to tip our hats to airline management, by the time this incident has settled down, perhaps someone can relay these compliments up the line.

framer
5th Dec 2008, 05:40
It is refreshing to see a true leader in a business

example of leading from the front.

It certainly is. So many confuse leadership and management. Air NZ's top manager provides the company with leadership. If you want a good example of the difference then compare Rob and Geoff. They are both managers, only one is a leader.

dudduddud
7th Dec 2008, 22:37
are you guys looking for a job or something? :E

BGQ
8th Dec 2008, 00:03
I have been employed as a pilot in Air NZ since just after Erebus, and obviously have experienced every CEO post Morrie Davis. Ralph Norris was the best, Rob is a close second. The rest were crap. The Brierly Investments era was a nightmare. Credit is due the man.

Oxidant
8th Dec 2008, 02:36
Firstly, could I also extend my sincere condolences to the families involved. Indeed to everyone effected by this tragic event.

Secondly, I work for neither Air NZ or Qantas. Therefore no personal axe to grind!
The biggest asset a company has is its employees. So congratulations for Mr Fyfe's example of leading from the front & showing that he cares for them. Stark contrast to the "leadership" example set by a certain Mr Dixon.

BAE146
8th Dec 2008, 04:28
Stark contrast to the "leadership" example set by a certain Mr Dixon.
Geoff Dixon would not know the meaning of that word.

RevMan2
8th Dec 2008, 06:57
Fyfe should have stayed at his desk

A good manager prioritises.

The fact that Air NZ calls its people "Air New Zealanders" (in the same way that Lufthansa people are "Lufthanseaten") is a dead giveaway: in situations like this, the CEO is where he's needed most and that's with his people.

I thought the "looking out to sea" pose was mildly OTT, but that's the only thing to fault in the whole performance, including that of Ed Simms.

And - from someone who's done it - if you haven't set up your organisation to run efficiently in your absence, you're a bad manager.

billyt
9th Dec 2008, 01:27
I'm stumped. Who are you referring to ZQ146?

Looks like he pulled his post.

NZ1
18th Dec 2008, 10:06
I was there on the beach with him when the "beach pose" photo's were taken, and I definitely don't think it was over the top. It was a very emotional and humble experience that I shall never forget.

NZ1

Gangbusters
24th Dec 2008, 09:06
Hi Mate, great to hear from you.
Thanks for contributing to this post....your thoughts are always welcome.
On behalf of everyone here....You are a complete tool.
No, sorry, perhaps that was a bit strong.
Your opinion is worth about the same as the contents of your last poopy paper, you snotty nosed little S!#T.
How about we back up the guys that are in charge, when the S*%T hits the fan. I can't imagine it's good fun. I don't see tampam putting her/his hand up.
I think this guy Rob, did an amazing job, under the circumstances.
Tampan, are you one of these "wash-up pilots" who thinks he/she can run the company better than the management? (seen it all before...) Or are you a fresh Uni graduate who backs him/herself to take the reins one day and make a difference. Time to put all that valuable book work to good use. Theory vs Practical. You be the judge.
Should have stayed at his desk aye......
There are several people qualified for such an occasion. They take charge if the CEO has to "leave the building"
ampan...why try and turn this into a CEO bashing, whilst we could focus our energy towards the families of the missing.
Sort it out Tampan
Merry Everything

teresa green
24th Dec 2008, 11:57
Gangbusters, dont worry about him mate, there is one in every woodpile. And they love to get under your skin. Kiwis are lucky to have such a good boss, dont think QF has had one since Menidue, must be due for one soon.

ampan
27th Mar 2009, 23:58
Everyone still happy?

billyt
28th Mar 2009, 07:28
Yep........

6080ft
28th Mar 2009, 21:16
except the zeal 320 crew!

Thirty Eight South
30th Mar 2009, 20:09
What happened to the Rob Fyfe fan club? as previously stated, CEO - It means Chief Executive Officer, not Emergency Public Relations Manager.

The PR and communications on the accident were poorly managed, leaking like a sieve in the CM jargon, too many press releases and amateur - ICAO requires that this procedure is carried out everry two years and any contingency manager who knows what he's doing has this nightmare scenario practiced an ready go - it's required - it's not surprising that the other professional entities involved knew how to manage the situation.

As for the photo opportunities, even the French found it over done and in poor taste, which is saying something

one last point - Fyfes' insistence that the relatives should have had first view of the interim report from the BEA is disingenuous at best is it was masking a problem with potential litigation: ANZ could not get advanced info on the report and position their communications efforts to minimise damage (and damaging it was) regarding liability.

The dismissive messages regarding speculation being distructive was the cue call for exit stage left and let the professional get on with it

everybody quite unhappy now I presume

billyt
30th Mar 2009, 23:03
Maybe you should get off the island a bit more often. I have not read so much dribble for a while.

I think he did a great job under the circumstances. The CEO position is as much PR as it is overall management. You would be the first to bitch if he had kept in the background and said very little.

ampan
31st Mar 2009, 02:41
billyt: This ponce is, and has been, dining out on the incident.

kris15
31st Mar 2009, 03:24
He has done really well. He would have probely been as shocked as the familes were but he handled himself and did everything for everyone involved he could in a manner that should be admired Well done Rob

billyt
31st Mar 2009, 05:25
Ampan who are you referring to as the "ponce"? I don't read the North & South magazine.

ampan
31st Mar 2009, 06:22
"ponce" = Fyfe

billyt
31st Mar 2009, 08:11
It must be lonely where you are standing. I just hope you don't work for AirNZ.

Recent news...

Rob Fyfe voted PRINZ Communicator of the Year for 2008

Air New Zealand CEO, Rob Fyfe has been voted Communicator of the Year for 2008 by the College of Fellows of the Public Relations Institute of New Zealand.

When making nominations for the PRINZ Communicator of the Year, the questions were "who do you think championed our profession well in the last 12 months" and "who was an excellent communicator and protected or enhanced their organisation's reputation throughout 2008?"

A quote from the nominations received for Fyfe include, "Leading Air New Zealand wasn't ever going to be easy, a fact Rob Fyfe was well aware of when he took the role in 2005. During his tenure Fyfe has faced a host of issues to test his communication skills and leadership, and no more so than in the past twelve months.

As a standout leader in the difficult current economic climate Fyfe has also launched a number of highly successful initiatives including the innovative 'grab-a-seat' and new domestic services. He is consistently rising to the challenge of reassuring customers, shareholders and staff. Air New Zealand is holding firm in a tough economic climate under an inspirational communicator - Rob Fyfe."

Another nomination stated, "For his grace, honesty, empathy, team leadership and plain good manners under extreme pressure; and for making us proud that there's at least one Chief Executive of one of our international companies who is so capable."

Fyfe received over 60% of the vote.

Previous PRINZ Communicator of the Year recipients are Pita Sharples, Alan Duff, Dame Cath Tizard, Bruce Slane and the late Sir Peter Blake.

Unfortunately Rob Fyfe will not be in the country to speak at the PRINZ Conference on 20 May. A world leading PR practitioner will present the key note address direct from Washington DC.

filou
1st Apr 2009, 19:31
Glad to see it's disintegrated into a puerile slanging match - well done.

As for an effective communicator, this a guy who did not say 'Laid off' when retrenching people in a press statement, but that positions 'had been disestablished'.

whoever the invisible council of the College of Fellows are that are making nominations for the PRINZ Communicator, it's obviously the same inbred group of back slapping self congratulatory plonkers who write their self promoting saccharine copy

...Unfortunately Rob Fyfe will not be in the country to speak at the PRINZ Conference LOL

yellow rocket
4th Apr 2009, 20:52
I stopped reading 'Rob's Blog' when it turned into 'Perpignan Propaganda'. Now the blog is turning into a hate campaign against Airbus Flight Attendants. Fyfe should be apologising to them for the company's disgraceful behaviour and collecting scalps from middle managers involved.

Fyfe's done some very good things for the airline, as did Norris, but the airline now needs clear plans for growth and some aggression in the marketplace.

Toshirozero
11th Apr 2009, 16:44
Yellow rocket - do you have a link to 'Rob's Blog', or the location.?

さようなら, Toshirosan

skol
11th Apr 2009, 20:32
Fyfe is a good boss, so was Ralph Norris. I've worked for lots and some of them were the worst scumbags imaginable. I'm referring to the Brierley era here.
In general I would say Fyfe is doing a great job and when I read the posts from time to time about life in QF and other airlines I'm grateful. I have a couple of mates in Europe and life's been hell after being laid off.
Nothing's perfect but NZ is profitable, efficient and Fyfe has the support of an overwhelming number of the staff. It's notable that the airline crashed under Brierley's but has thrived since Norris took over and treated the staff like human beings.The 1990's style of management was to attract the grovellers and would-bes-if-they-could-bes, the masters of the Employment Contracts Act. It had nothing to do with ability or intelligence. They've long since been given the arse, as soon as Norris took over, they know who they are. The big noters of the divide and rule era.
The unfortunate part was that many decent employees left ANZ because of the way they were victimised by the '90's management.
Any CEO will have his or her detractors but I give Fyfe 9 out of 10.

The managers I associate with these days have respect are generally well liked. I certainly don't mind going the extra mile for them.
I'm not management either.