PDA

View Full Version : Non-sparking shoes

legaleagle73
28th Nov 2008, 11:05
I need to buy some new shoes for flying. If you're refueling, you're meant to be wearing non-sparking shoes according to the CAOs (the fact they should be tax deductable has no bearing on my decision to try to get them:E). I wandered into a couple of places that sell safety shoes today and no-one had a clue if they were non-sparking or not. Does anyone know what the deal is? Are safety shoes that meet AS/NZ 2210.3 non-sparking? Is non-sparking the same as anti-static?

(All suggestions of high-heeled boots etc will be taken with good grace but the name of a retailer that sells non-sparking shoes in Perth would be really appreciated.)

Cheers :)

mootyman
28th Nov 2008, 12:24
Kevlar capped boots I am sure Hard-yakka sell them. Not too exspensive and not too comfortable. ( crap sole )

Wyle E Coyote
28th Nov 2008, 16:57
I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from sparking shoes. Luckily I never actually refuel my aircraft myself, but I do have to speak to the fuellers and sign the paperwork, and I do make a point of standing dead still while doing that..... just incase my shoes start sparking :rolleyes:

Are you telling me that some w@*ker in a suit has actually made a law about this?

And what about underpants? I definately felt some electricity down there a few days ago when the Virgin hosties were loading up on the 74 parked on the next stand. Should I have been so near the fuel truck?

west lakes
28th Nov 2008, 17:59
Non-sparking = anti static.

Basically the sole is designed to conduct and ground any static build up on the person rather than it getting discharged to a ground by touching or getting close causing the spark.

Not much use in my job in the electrical industry though, could be a bit shocking

Iwasoneonce
28th Nov 2008, 18:15
Tell you a cheaper way mate.

Stick an electrode with a wire attached, up your :mad: and connect the wire to a good earth.

I really must bone up on things again as I have been in aviation for 4 decades and never heard anything about non sparking shoes. I lot of those years was with aircraft, with engines that run on avgas! Never heard of and aircraft going up through static from sparky shoes. Guess there is a first time for anything and everything.

SIUYA
28th Nov 2008, 19:02
Iwasoneonce.........

I have been in aviation for 4 decades and never heard anything about non sparking shoes. I lot of those years was with aircraft, with engines that run on avgas! Never heard of and aircraft going up through static from sparky shoes. Guess there is a first time for anything and everything.

Perhaps its time you looked at CAO 20.9? :ok:

4.3.5 All footwear worn by aircraft servicing personnel and persons operating fuelling equipment shall be of a non-sparking type and such persons shall not carry any matches, cigarette lighters or other objects which could represent an ignition hazard.

Wyle Coyote..............

Should I have been so near the fuel truck?

Under the circumstances that you describe, probably not! ;)

Horatio Leafblower
28th Nov 2008, 19:28
Gentlemen,

I submit that perhaps the CAOs (or rather, the ANOs) were drafted in a different era when rubber soles were less common and 'ob nail boots were wot farver wore.

I clearly remember reading Hardy Boys adventures as a lad where Jupiter Jones was the only one of the gang with rubber-soled shoes, and therefore did all the sneaking around.

This was confusing to me as a young lad in the early 1980s, as every shoe I had ever seen in my young life had a rubber sole. :confused:

apache
28th Nov 2008, 20:22
the best ting about having CASA define a type of shoe, is that it is now a required piece of aviation equipment, ergo tax deductable. Every year, there would be a cliam from me for "non sparking shoes". It has been in the regs for many a year! at LEAST 18 years.

As to what are non sparking shoes? I think that as long as you don't wear tap dancing shoes, then you should be OK.

Lodown
28th Nov 2008, 20:30
Wear the style that the CASA wears and you can't go wrong.

http://steynian.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/clown-shoes-red-yellow500.jpg

PlankBlender
28th Nov 2008, 20:32
apache, that's an interesting turn for this thread :ok:

What else can pilots normally deduct?

harropster
28th Nov 2008, 20:38
I was refuelling the other day, and both my shoes started sparking, and it was so hot that I started dancing like a tap dog.

SIUYA
28th Nov 2008, 20:47
PlankBlender.........

What else can pilots normally deduct?

Goto ATO Taxation Ruling TR 95/19 at:

TR 95/19 - Income tax: airline industry employees - allowances, reimbursements and work-related deductions (As at 5 June 1996) (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR9519/NAT/ATO/00001)

higherplane
28th Nov 2008, 22:00
I think maybe this is what they are refering to as a 'sparking shoe':

http://www.univie.ac.at/cga/art/shoe_bomb3.gif

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Nov 2008, 22:46
THAT seems like a potentially permanent cure for 'Athlete's Foot'......??:uhoh:

blade root
28th Nov 2008, 22:58
Double pluggers the way to go.....

Kelly Slater
29th Nov 2008, 00:27
If the refueling equipment is earthed, then you will also be earthed. Buy Airflex so that you don't have issues with security screening. Claim them on tax as either anti-static, oil resistant or anti-slip shoes.

legaleagle73
29th Nov 2008, 03:09
While I really just wanted the tax deduction, given the number of responses to this thread, I had a quick look on the Net. It seems while sparking (eg from having metal on your soles or a rock stuck in your sole) can ignite fuel, static electricity is also a serious risk: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2005/pdf/Static_Fires.pdf and rubber soles don't help with static electricity at all. (The good news is it seems we can refuel and talk on the phone at the same time!)

As someone suggested earlier, making sure the refueling equipment and the aircraft is earthed should deal with the static problem but still having anti-static shoes doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Cheers :)

Jazzy78910
29th Nov 2008, 07:54
The most practical and comfortable duty / work-shoe that I've ever come across can be found at "The Athlete's Foot"

Its called an "Ascent: Geelong" and goes for about $170.00 AUD

Ascent Footwear - Men (http://www.ascentfootwear.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=14&Itemid=9)

They are hands-down the best shoes I've owned for comfort while working. I'll never wear another Colorado :}

Jazz

Super Cecil
29th Nov 2008, 08:45
Wyle E Coyote for post of the week:E

werbil
29th Nov 2008, 08:51
Do as a float pilot does - refuel barefoot - no spark issues. :ok:

SIUYA
30th Nov 2008, 07:59
Wylie...........

I've been thinking a bit more about your concerns of sparking underpants when in [presumably] simultaneous proximity to: a) virgin hosties, and b) fuel trucks.

Dangerous combination indeed! :eek:

In those circumstances, and to assure the safety of all concerned (i.e., hosties, fuel truck AND yourself), I'd suggest that what you REALLY need is an insulated AND spark-proof tool! :ok:

Goto Beta Tools USA: General Catalog - Insulated and spark-proof tools - Spark-proof wrenches [page 1] (http://www.procarestores.com/product/general_catalog/index.php?cPath=11000.0_11013.2) and look under tab#11..........you'll see there's various 'models' that'll give you (and those close-by, presumably) 1,000V 'protection'.

I'm not sure though that insulated AND spark-proof tools are covered as a deduction under ATO Taxation Ruling TR 95/19. :(

FRQ Charlie Bravo
30th Nov 2008, 14:08
Are you bloody joking. I only just bought these new shoes last week and they were on clearance so I can't take them back. Son of a b:mad:!
http://www.beautymarked.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tap.jpg
(me trying out me new "flight boots")

~FRQ CB

Wyle E Coyote
30th Nov 2008, 15:56
Now that I'm fully aware of yet another way Aviation could kill me, I have attached an earthing wire to my underpants.

This has however created a new dilemma. Do I earth myself to the ground, or directly to the hostie in question?

SIUYA
30th Nov 2008, 19:34
Wyle.........

I'd suggest directly, using an insulated and spark-proof tool. :8

SeldomFixit
1st Dec 2008, 03:36
EEEEE, I R impressed with this thread. Ohm I - resistance is futile. Purchase your spark proof dancin pumps with your static cards and hopefully there'll be no potential differences to impede you. Is that a D cell in your pocket or are you glad to see me ? :eek:

apache
1st Dec 2008, 07:41
Now that I'm fully aware of yet another way Aviation could kill me, I have attached an earthing wire to my underpants.

This has however created a new dilemma. Do I earth myself to the ground, or directly to the hostie in question?

depends if she is wearing "shocking undies" !

Reverseflowkeroburna
3rd Dec 2008, 05:53
Lodown, that advice is gold! :D