PDA

View Full Version : Remuneration in the UK

supertech
28th Nov 2008, 09:06
What is the reason for the hourly rates being so uncompetitive here in the UK....£14 to £16 if you're lucky? It seems if you want to earn a respectable wage then Europe is the place to go. I have contracted in europe at a rate of £22 per hour before coming to the UK.
I look forward to some constructive views on this subject.

smudgethecat
28th Nov 2008, 09:18
As your a super tech best way forward is get your arse into gear, obtain a license and a few decent type ratings you will then be able to earn around 30 quid a hr in the uk, anyway 16 quid a hr not to bad for someone who has no real qualifications apart from the ability to wield a spanner

supertech
28th Nov 2008, 09:59
I understand about the license issue, but I have known people who have licenses and when it comes to wielding the spanners they are are all thumbs, and do not have a practical clue. I think the way EASA is going these days with regards to licenses, and the period of time it takes to obtain a license, that they are putting more resposibility onto the companies/ employers, ie. they want the company to have licensed engineers in place for obvious reasons and for the comapany to issue company approvals, thus the liability is not solely set on one individual. Companys do not look at staff being good or reliable any more they look more at thier profit margins, and how many hours they can squeeze out of an employee for as little as posible. Engineers are not paid what they are worth to the company.

WOTME?
28th Nov 2008, 15:20
As licenced you are paid for what you can sign for,not wielding spanners.

boeing_eng
29th Nov 2008, 14:14
Licenses & Approvals = Responsibility

Responsibility = ££££'s...... but also = Culpability!

Some I know choose to stay on the Tools for obvious reasons!:)

NAV401
29th Nov 2008, 15:53
Boeing "eng".......want some fish to go with your big chip?:}

boeing_eng
29th Nov 2008, 16:38
NAV401 This is an open forum for the exchange of opinions/views. Looking at your small number of postings since you recently joined it seems you spend all your time criticising other postings!!:mad:

If you don't like what you read....head off in the direction of Airmech.co.uk and have some real fun! :}

FYI, I am a Licensed/Approved Eng with more years than I care to count both on the tools and certifying

WOTME?
29th Nov 2008, 17:39
Licenses & Approvals = Responsibility

Responsibility = ££££'s...... but also = Culpability!

Some I know choose to stay on the Tools for obvious reasons!

Where's the chip in that?