PDA

View Full Version : Flinders Island Airlines - Alan Rea

Fris B. Fairing
28th Nov 2008, 08:05
A new book is being written and published on the founder of Moorabbin based Flinders Island Airlines, Alan Rea. Flinders Island was an early operator of Anson, Beech 18 and other light aircraft.

The book is being edited by his great nephew, Daniel Ednie-Lockett from material Alan put together prior to his death to tell "his story" to family and close friends. However, interest had been so great, Daniel is making it available to a wider audience and is adding more material to make it more appealing to non family.

As the book will still be printed in small numbers, Daniel wants to avoid people saying later "I wish I knew it was being published as I would have liked a copy"!

If you knew Alan or have any relevant material for the book, Daniel would very much like you to contact him. His email address is

[email protected]

sms777
28th Nov 2008, 09:57
Yes... wonderful place... unspoilt endless beaches with crystal clear waters, undisturbed wildlife, plenty of fishing, not one other person for many miles, out of reach of commercial traffic. Flinders Islands has been unheard of and out of reach for many until the arrival of Flinders Island Airlines. I you want to know the details you have to by the book because i do not know the full history. I flew many visitors on to the island between '95 and 00 while i operated my charter business out of Sydney and i was one of the very few that had the privilige to explore this beautiful place. I have made friends with many of the local characters, been to pig hunting, catching tiger snakes, bush walking to the mountain tops and sinking beers in the one and only pub in Whitemark.
God... i miss the place...
I'll be back...

Put my name down for a copy of your book Daniel!...

Philthy
30th Nov 2008, 06:33
We did a fantastic trip out to Flinders Island one weekend when I was doing my ATC course in Launy in the early 90s. Lovely place!

I'll be putting in my order...

Goofyfoot
6th Dec 2008, 06:37
Was one of "Alan's boys" from '73 to '80. First job on the C206 until I was allowed to graduate to the C207 and beyond.A great learning experience,particularly with a 6 day VFR Herald delivery,some exciting moments! Great bunch of people to work with, a lot going to bigger things. Alan was a real gentleman and always there for support. Never went home until all "his boys" were home,either waiting at the hangar or watching from the Royal Aero Club bar. Save a book for me.

Anthill
20th Nov 2011, 12:36
Did this book ever get published?

donderwolkje
20th Nov 2011, 20:15
Yes it did.

Regards

Skystar320
21st Nov 2011, 09:35
Where can I place my order?