PDA

View Full Version : Anxious moments????

witwiw
27th Nov 2008, 02:56
Heard on BNE CTR early this morning, two S-70's (call-signs "9M Combine" and "9M Combine 2") heading for LRE when ATC asked them if they had notams on LRE, particularly the one about 04/22 closed for works. Answer was a negative but they appeared to soldier on towards their destination despite the controller mentioning the closure several times and the reduced EOL for 09/27. When someone pointed out that 09/27 hasn't any lights there was shortly later a request for first light, then later advice that they would hold until then for landing. (First light was some 2hr 40 away.) A little later a request for info re lights/serviceability on Taroom. Finally an amendment of a diversion to Barcaldine. The voices sounded a little anxious throughout these latter transmissions. Haven't heard anything more so I assume they landed at YBAR ok.

Certainly sounds like flight planning and preparation was lacking, to say the least.

So, who knows what these aircraft were doing out-and-about in the wee hours - a delivery flight, perhaps.

rmcdonal
27th Nov 2008, 03:30
It's a heliwopper, what does it need a runway for? I have seen them land of a torch beam! :E

Jabawocky
27th Nov 2008, 03:33
What happened to their night vision gear :uhoh:.

Capt Wally
27th Nov 2008, 09:29
Apparently they had only the 'day time' torches onbaord, they don't need batteries:E
Just because they are part of the armed forces doesn't mean their any smarter!

CW

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Nov 2008, 10:47
??? I have seen them land on a sandbank in the Burdekin R by the light on a chemilume stick thingy.

Why would they not just turn on the lights at YLRE and land on the tarmac?

Given that you don't actually have to "land" a chopper, why would it matter if there were works in progress?

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Can't believe that the AJ wock wock boys were too anxious about anything!

Dr :8

PS: Thanx Wikipedia for telling me what the **** a S70 is anyway.

Ultralights
27th Nov 2008, 21:15
S-70 would be army speck Blackhawk, S70-2B would be navy spec Sea hawk

witwiw
28th Nov 2008, 09:06
Is the "9M" part of the callsign significant? Voices didn't sound Aussie.

Lasiorhinus
28th Nov 2008, 09:20
Yeah, it was a combination/formation flight of three aircraft from the 3M glue company..

tipsy2
28th Nov 2008, 09:22
Voices didn't sound Aussie

Could they have been Malaysian?

"9M" is the civil nationality mark of Malaysia:confused::confused:

sms777
28th Nov 2008, 09:23
3M glue company?.... No wonder they were sticking together :E

dudduddud
29th Nov 2008, 01:59
Come on sms, please try and stick to the topic.

Delay Approved
29th Nov 2008, 03:33
Not sure if you have the aircraft type correct. A formation of two SR-22's using the callsign 9M combine passed through Darwin the other day. The left yesterday for Indonesia.

ringbinder
29th Nov 2008, 06:41
Yes,

I'd also heard they were a couple of Cirrus aircraft. Makes the circumstances interesting if they were the aircraft heading for Longreach - makes you wonder!!!

Were they on a navigation exercise, delivery, demonstration or what?

Jabawocky
29th Nov 2008, 21:20
Plot thickens........

I believe that the Cirrus boys have sold quite a number of planes to training schools up north, and the rego 9M would makes sense.

Assembled in Bris and flown out.