PDA

View Full Version : Not aviation related

Capt Wally
26th Nov 2008, 06:09
As per the heading but I want to ask my 'mates' in PPRUNE this b4 the mods jail me, again:bored: But it will be worth it.
I get dozens of those pesty phone calls day in day out from maketing agencies a lot I feel are from OS. Mostly at dinner time. Average about 6-10 per day.
ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET MY LISTED NAME OFF THEIR LIST?
Apart from an unlisted No. (next move) there must be a way I can be excluded. I did hear some time ago there was a website you could visit then have yr number added to an ignore list but I was doubtful as to its reality.

Any thoughst guys/gals b4 I get jailed again? Somebody must know how to rid these fools of my privacy?

thnxs

CW

andrewmizzi
26th Nov 2008, 06:16
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

If you're getting calls from people you have accounts with (such as your bank hassling you to sign up for credit card insurance etc), then you need to take it up with the bank, as you're an existing customer.

Worrals in the wilds
26th Nov 2008, 06:17
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ is the Federal government's do not call register. You can lodge your private numbers with them.

It's not foolproof (and exempts charities) but I found it did cut down the number of calls dramatically.

Before that I found that hanging up on them immediately without comment cut down the repeat offenders.

An Indian friend of mine used to swear at the Indian call centre types in Hindi, she found it satisfying, if not effective :}

fl610
26th Nov 2008, 06:18
Wall, try the following link.....so far it has worked for me :ok:

http://www.donotcall.gov.au/regNumberActivate.cfm?tqd=1300041&ActCode=4FFDBC&Survey=4

Cheers,
fl610

bentleg
26th Nov 2008, 06:53
and as far as begging from charities, once I recognise what the call is, I say to them -

"we made a decision a year ago to donate to three charities twice each year. Unfortunately yours is not one of them."

It's true and works every time.

PS - we are on the do not call register mentioned. Yes it makes a big difference. And if you do get a caller that's not a charity once you say you on the register they depart quickly.

sms777
26th Nov 2008, 06:56
G'day CW
I do get those annoying calls too sometimes at my work or at home. My defense these days is to ask for a number so i can call them right back. This normally confuses the hell out of them and they just hang up on you.... :D
When this all started i had a list of numbers of people i did not like and used to tell them to call them because right now i am busy.... :E ....I ran out of numbers but.

:ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
26th Nov 2008, 07:16
Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8):).

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Nov 2008, 08:17
Thanks LRT - That is priceless!

G'Day Wal,

Apart from all the usual advice, I have been known to simply leave the phone on the desk and just go outside and water the lawn....have a can .....or whatever...

Funny, they're never there when I come back inside.....

Cheers:ok::ok:

povopilot
26th Nov 2008, 08:20
Wal, the aforementioned website is the best bet. Will stop everything bar charities, government people, and your own telco being able to call you - oh and overseas call centres, they are exempt from australian law obviously. You could also give them the Seinfeld treatment: YouTube - Seinfeld Telemarketer (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PH30pAxbJBw)

povopilot.

Capt Wally
26th Nov 2008, 09:06
Ahhh tnxs guys, where would I be without my mates to make life just that little bit easier:ok:
I've tried all the tricks mentioned here but tnxs anyway. They still keep comin' back, I must be a soft target:E Shall visit those links as suggested:ok:
Ok Mods lock it up, am all done, got what I wanted & by the amount of quick responses I might have done sumfin' right!:}

CW

P.S..........'LRT' that's gold:ok: Tnxs to you I need to go change some apparel now:E

Jabawocky
26th Nov 2008, 09:13
When they phone us at work wanting to speak to the owner of the business (me) promising cheaper phone calls etc etc we have all rehersed and practice this......

Thats very nice sir and we thank your for your call, but we do not have any telephones here.....click! :}

J:ok:

SIUYA
26th Nov 2008, 10:15
CW.......

The www.donotcall.gov.au worked for us. Before that it was an absolute nightmare with the almost daily (and sometimes really 'pushy') bloody annoying calls from call centres trying to flog telco subscriptions etc etc etc. :ugh:

Almost all of them stopped straight away after after we registered as a do not call number in August. Any subsequent nuisance call centre calls in the next couple of months after we registered were told (sometimes very impolitely I'm afraid) that we were a do not call number, and that they (the caller) were commiting an offence by calling our number.

Now (thank Christ) we don't get any more of the nuisance calls you're referring to.

bentleg.......a VERY good suggestion. I'll give it a try! :ok:

VH-XXX
26th Nov 2008, 11:12
It's not an offence to call someone who is on the do-not-call register. It's only a voluntary code for the call centres I'm afraid......