PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Air Law via AFT distance learning- study method?

Gearupandorrf
26th Nov 2008, 04:11
Hi guys,

Have just received the ATPL Air Law course from AFT.

Through experience, could someone suggest a good study method?

The package includes more than 130 sample/ practise questions- would it just be a case of sitting these and becoming proficient at navigating through the various docs whilst at it (it's been ages since I sat CPL Air Law)?

My reason for asking is that a mate of mine recently sat the Exam, and more than 90% of the the questions were practically identical to the AFT practice papers.

Perhaps also getting hold of some other practice papers (i.e: Bob Tait) would also be a good idea too.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cheers,
Gearup.

biggles7374
26th Nov 2008, 05:18
Hi Gear Up

AFT Notes are more than sufficient.

You've got the study method correct, just do the practice exams and get used to looking up and reading the various docs.

Use the index to assist if you need to on revision tests but try not to use it too much on the Cyberexams as it is not allowed in the CASA exam

Good Luck

Biggles

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Nov 2008, 05:55
Don't bother with the notes, just do the questions - you'll soon learn where the questions are drawn from and get to know those bits.

2 days hard yakka and anything less than 100% you should be unhappy with - it's all in the books with you....

DeltaT
26th Nov 2008, 07:31
Get some of those little coloured paper sticky bookmarks, and as you do the practise questions stick one of those on the page with a subject note, and create your own index as you go. That self made index is allowed in the exam. Also highlight the answer on the page.
Become familiar with the indexes that are part of the documents themselves, at the front or back as the case maybe.
I found the AFT online practise exams invaluable, and very close to the real exam. I think there are only 4 of them.

Grogmonster
26th Nov 2008, 10:53
Gooday All. I suppose I could ring up and ask about this but for the sake of discussion here we go. The question I have is that in a normal day to day situation it is legal to refer to one of those CASA CD document library discs in place of paper documents. If you have a question start up the laptop, slip in the disc, and do a search. Bingo up comes the required info, which you can print if you want to, and away you go. Why can't you use that in the exam?????

DeltaT
27th Nov 2008, 19:08
It would be too difficult to make sure there was nothing else on your computer to help you in the exam. If you used the computer provided at your desk, then there are issues of cost, maintanence and other variables in keeping CD drives working all over the country. If you take it another step and keep the files stored on the computer, they have to be kept up to date.
Easiest I guess, considering the computers have to be networked to do the exam is to have the files all on a intranet (local access) via CASA.
I think you will find, in exam conditions, its far easier to use the paper source!