PDA

View Full Version : Work experience

haydos172
25th Nov 2008, 22:12
G'day everyone. Im 16 years old and just started flight training (at YMMB) and was wondering what work experience opportunites there are at the airlines? I gather that after 9/11 there's no possibilty that i'd be allowed in the jump seat for a day, but would I be able to get something organised with say Qantas or Virgin (or even REX) that I would find interesting?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if any of you completed your work experience at an airline or flying school or what have you, id be very interested to hear.

Cheers.

PPRuNeUser0163
25th Nov 2008, 22:29
Gday Haydos,
I did my work experience back in 2006 at Airservices Australia.
Whilst not technically an airline, it gives great insight into such things as the ATC environment, engineering and firefighting department. Getting work experience with an airline like Qantas can be extremely difficult even if you have a contact in the company.

I'm not sure about Melbourne Tullamarine Airservices, but give them a call as they were more than happy to accomodate me at Sydney back in 06'. It is alot of fun to watch all the targets line up on the ATC screens in the TCU room and the coordination.

If all that fails, i suggest you go to a flying school- your flying school at MB for work experience.

All the best,
Nkand

Swift6
25th Nov 2008, 22:35
Its' all about finding a way around things!

When I did work experience in 1998 (in NSW) you could only fly on RPT services! I knew Qantas would be quite restrictive. So I organised work experience with Sydney Harbour Seaplanes (now Sydney Seaplanes). I got 3 trips in the Beaver up to Newcastle on the RPT run!

Why not try Sharp Airlines or a similar smaller regional airline as if they do offer work experience placements it might not be as structured as it would be in a larger oganisation.

sthaussiepilot
26th Nov 2008, 06:03
You wont pick anything up with Qantas or Virgin (unless you know people)

REX... Well I cant say you would want to if you could...

Best Advice is go with a small regional airliner (like sharp as mentioned)

Or try the Airport itself :ok:

Xcel
26th Nov 2008, 06:07
Did mine at Richmond raaf base basically just stuffed around on the hercules and 707 sims all day... no motion of course...

flyhardmo
26th Nov 2008, 08:59
Did my work experience in 94. Was told I couldn't do any pilot related work experience due to insurance reasons. I did go for a maintnance job at BK airport and got a ride in a chopper at the en of it. Plus the secretary was absolutely stunning. :ok:

kingRB
26th Nov 2008, 09:21
REX... Well I cant say you would want to if you could...why not?

I got a couple rides in the saab as work experience back when I was doing an Advanced Diploma in Aviation and found the jump seat a fantastic experience.

If jump seat isnt an option these days, why not try and get in with one of the big airlines with the maintenance engineering areas... I did it with Qantas back in 1995 - and even though I wanted to be a pilot, just being able to hang around 737's all night long, see them pulled apart, how they work etc was fantastic - and will keep anyone who loves aircraft happily occupied.

man on the ground
26th Nov 2008, 11:11
I'm not sure about Melbourne Tullamarine Airservices, but give them a call....

Try for an airline first of course, but as a fallback, if you're interested in ASA, drops me a PM, and I'll give you the right contacts.

Good Luck

haydos172
26th Nov 2008, 19:11
Do you reacon there is a chance of getting a ride in the jump seat? I suppose i'd be more likely to if I asked Rex or another regional airline than say Qantas.

sthaussiepilot
26th Nov 2008, 22:02
100% Unless you know people... No jumpseat with anything big...

I did work Exp with an Airline and was sitting in the co-pilot seat for quite a few flights (RPT and Charter)... didnt get to touch a thing (obviously, being 16 at the time)... but was given a headset and got to listen in and observe... It was amazingly fun...

When I did it I sat in on the pilot breifings etc was good fun :ok:

Also, I thought suggesting Melbourne, they would possibly be working around with Aircraft (obviously only if he managed to get Airside)

and also KingRB, you would have received the jumpseat rides becuase you were doing a course of that level... a high school student (haydos172: appologises If I'm wrong) would almost certianlly not be allowed in on those flights, he would be able to do ground work, and maybe have a flight somewhere in the cabin... but yeah dont count on jumpseat.. and if it happens.. Fantastic!

haydos172
27th Nov 2008, 03:42
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill start ringing round and see what I can organise. Do you know of any other regional airlines or small airlines that are based out of or have a base in Melbourne?

2ndGen
27th Nov 2008, 04:30
I did work experience with QF and JAL in 2002, was mostly office based but did get to chat to pilots, learn about the cadetship and went out airside a few times and got in the cockpit with the guys who update all the documents etc. Was good fun, you can always drop them a line and see what they say.

f1yboy
28th Jan 2009, 00:51
You could always try the sim centres. QF would be a bit difficult, but I did mine in October 2007 at Boeing Alteon in Brisbane. Sat in Full Flight Simulators (motion) all day. Great bunch. Highly recommended. F1yboy.

VH-XXX
28th Jan 2009, 00:59
You could try a small charter company, like say out at Lilydale, Tooradin or somewhere similar that isn't an airline as such and when not hanging around the office or flying school, you can wash/vacuum the aircraft and if you are a nice guy you might get a ride in something big on a charter somewhere.

Tempo
28th Jan 2009, 01:36
I did my work experience in 92 at Ansett. To get me as close to the jets as possible I did it at their Adelaide engineering base. It was great fun (even if it was back of the clock) and got to spend plenty of time in the flight deck. I don't know if QF/VB/JQ offer anything similar these days but it's worth a few letters/phonecalls.

Cheers

Carambar
28th Jan 2009, 07:00
f1yboy,

Any idea if Boeing Alteon is still doing this sort of thing nowadays?

Mr. Hat
28th Jan 2009, 08:35
Plus the secretary was absolutely stunning.

an awfully big plus!:ok: