View Full Version : Can someone help me out?

sputnik-monkeyman
25th Nov 2008, 16:59
OK so I am aspiring to become a test pilot but from what I have learned I need some kind of military background. Can anyone clear this up for me?

FlightTester
25th Nov 2008, 18:24
It varies from company to company and country to country. Generally you'll be looking at a degree in engineering or related discipline as a good starting point. A TP qualification from a recognised Test Pilot School - any of ETPS, USAF TPS, USN TPS, or the FAF TPS is generally a pre-requisite on your CV, latterly for civilian test flying the year long course at NTPS in Mojave will also work. Then you're going to need somewhere between 750 - 2000 hrs as PIC.

You don't need a miltiary background but financing all of the above whether through company sponsorship or by yourself is going to cost somewhere north of of half a million pounds.

sputnik-monkeyman
25th Nov 2008, 19:01
Thanks for the tips mate, you have no idea how much of a help they are. How did you go about becoming a test pilot, may I ask?

FlightTester
25th Nov 2008, 20:11
Check your PM's

Genghis the Engineer
26th Nov 2008, 11:29
Not wishing to kill a useful and relevant thread, but can I suggest that you also look at the "FAQ" thread at the top of this forum and the multiple threads linked from there under the heading "how to enter the flight test profession".

G