PDA

View Full Version : The Bruce Byron Legacy

Frank Burden
25th Nov 2008, 11:16
I understand that Bruce finishes at CASA at the end of the month after five years stewardship. Five years is a long time given past experience. What has changed in his time and what is he leaving behind?

Lodown
25th Nov 2008, 12:04
What has changed in his time and what is he leaving behind?

Ahhh! Let me think. Hmmm. Is it...? Hmmm. I got it...wait...no...would it be an empty office? No? Well, I pass. Next question please.

In his defense though, his bucket of beans was taken and replaced with a handful of beans and he was expected to disappear with the CASA and not come back unless he had the goose that laid the golden eggs.

mostlytossas
25th Nov 2008, 12:14
Bruce Byron is about as much use as tits on a bull.

cogwheel
25th Nov 2008, 12:15
BRUCE BYRON TO REMAIN FOR LEADERSHIP TRANSITION

14 Nov 08

The Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Anthony Albanese, announced today that CASA CEO, Bruce Byron, will stay on for a "little longer" to ensure a smooth leadership transition. Bruce was scheduled to complete his five year term as CEO at the end of this month. He will remain in the position until the recruitment process for the new CEO is completed and transition can begin.

The 'gos is that we may see someone from o/s take the job...????

Just have to wait and see

Flyingblind
25th Nov 2008, 16:10
Great a new broom to come in from O/S.

My agenda if successful in seeking this position,

Control costs, right, that's easy lets let go 10% of the workforce.Nice reduction in operating costs and an immediate tick in the box for one of my KPI's.

Bring new ideas to the table to promote aviation in Australia, lets hold public seminars around the country to hear what the industry is telling us, that should keep the rabble off my back for at least a year whilst we slowly produce an obscure report that everyone has long forgotten about.

Delivering worlds best practice to stakeholders, spend millions of tax payers money via an expensive media consulting company in informing our clients what a great job were doing.

Create a culture of pure administrators who hold no intrest in aviation or the industry, er, cant really do much more on this front, next.

Promote our own departments growth above other aviation departments at the expense of the industry, er again not much more to do here either.

The above is of course a tong in cheek look at how i would control the department if i got the gig, simple really this CEO bit.

Kangaroo Court
25th Nov 2008, 17:52
Where do I apply?!!!

There is so much crap that needs to be cleaned up in OZ it would take me five years worth of time just to start to begin to straighten this out!

I'd do it in a heartbeat!

TBM-Legend
25th Nov 2008, 21:14
A legacy of nothing>>:mad:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
25th Nov 2008, 21:20
Well I for one think he did an OK job.

As has been discussed on other threads Byron was given a poison challice, reduced budget and a complete sh1t fight on two fronts ( 1-staff/industry relations and 2-"the regulatory reform"process).

Here we are a few years later and relations are much better (not perfect) with the industry, I think the MOS ( manuals of standards ) are a good concept but very poorly written, there a many additions within these documents that are not supported in the legislation, personal opinions haved snuck into the requirements.

CASA appears to have formed into more of a corporation than a government department, but that was what the PM wanted.

Trojan1981
25th Nov 2008, 21:55
According to that great industry flag bearer Australian Aviation he is leaving behind a legacy that includes;
...8000 accidents and incidents reported annually......75 percent rise in structural incidents involving aircraft accross Australia... and
...also a 26 percent increase in incidents relating to aircraft powerplants over the five years...
Although the artical was not directly related to BB, It covers his period in the position.

Casper
25th Nov 2008, 22:05
BB is leaving CASA with a hat full of "touchy feely" ATIs and SSSs and inspectors who did not meet the mandatory requirements for employment and who were recruited under the "Kendell's Club Scheme."

Lucky Six
27th Nov 2008, 08:41
He had a great opportunity after Toller to do good thing but he is a dud. My personal opinion :mad:.

Roller Merlin
27th Nov 2008, 09:08
Given the political interference, lobby group noise and legal department drivel that binds CASA, Bruce appears to have to steered battleship CASA on a course that at least heads in the right direction. I believe that the benefits of where CASA is heading will be largely seen in the future, especially breaking the CASA/Canberra placenta by moving out of Canberra and next to Brissy airport. It must be a rotten job always tap-dancing to minister's ever changing whims, and being driven by non-aviation minded legal boffins, and cost-recovery agents of government. If anyone has been on a Rapac group or similar you would be forgiven in thinking that herding cats would be an easier task, so driving the whole operation from above would require great patience and determination. The people in there are all well-meaning, but have various cultures and beliefs and wants. In particular I am glad the whole MOS and instructor standards being pushed out there.

As for an increase in incident reporting, this is normally a sign of a healthy attitude to reporting, provided accidents are prevented concurrently. So you would need to look at the big picture before deeming it a bad thing.

Flyingblind
28th Nov 2008, 01:04
Well there's a soon to be ex CEO of an iconic Australian airline who finishes up his contract today that might be available if the remuneration were appropriate to his skill level and industry experience.

:}

Roller Merlin
28th Nov 2008, 06:18
Maybe that ex-CEO of the iconic Australian airline resigned so he could take up that position.....we shall see

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Nov 2008, 07:26
I just might know a bloke.......

Dark hair and usually wears dark rimmed glasses.....:}:}

(This is a Rumour Network...):eek::eek:

Flyingblind
28th Nov 2008, 07:54
d.n.s now that cracked me up! :ok: well done.

if i were one of the hardworking boys and girls @CASA i'd be afraid.......very afraid of him!

Jet Fixer
28th Nov 2008, 11:08
BB obviously had a big plans for improving aviation safety with introduction of (as I understand) highly paid ATIs and SSS.

However, looking at that group from industry pesrpective , three attributes stand out very prominently as we have found out 1. under worked 2. under qualified and generally non aviation SMS background 3. attempt to regulate by bluff.

Trash Hauler
29th Nov 2008, 03:15
BB obviously had a big plans for improving aviation safety with introduction of (as I understand) highly paid ATIs and SSS

Pardon my ignorance - I have heard of CASA inspectors as either Flying Operations or Airworthiness but what are ATI or SSS?

EMB120ER
29th Nov 2008, 06:49
SSS - I hope that they are not one S, nastier than the SS

ATI - are they the air training group?, or were they FTO's

Cripes its death by capital letters!

Frank Burden
1st Dec 2008, 10:56
A surreal day. Someone mentioned that they had read that BB's success will be judged by his moving CASA operations staff out of Canberra. I mentioned it to someone else and they said what a joke! Mentioned that all is not happy in the quinntessential world and a lot have left. Maybe that is why BB is staying on to work it out?

Chicken or Fish?
10th Dec 2008, 06:08
Byron's replacement is likely to be a former RAAF jet jock & Senior Management Captain from a major Asian airline that's based 10hrs north of Canberra. He has extensive Boeing & Airbus Check & Training experience as well as a formidable reputation.

He is definately going to shake things up as his character is nothing like Byron's quite & reserved manner.

Sand dune Sam
10th Dec 2008, 08:17
Great!! another knucklehead at the helm of CASA......

tipsy2
10th Dec 2008, 09:28
Rufus ?:ooh::ooh:

Tipsy:yuk:furball:yuk:
and being naughty

Lodown
10th Dec 2008, 22:21
Perhaps another "I'll do this" and "I'll do that" chest-thumper who will be totally underwhelmed by the public servant Gandhi-style resistance?

I hope she or he sets a schedule to work with CASA staff and the Minister in determining priorities and accumulating/sourcing the resources to achieve them. The conservative politics approach of taking an almost complete hands-off approach to regulation doesn't work. The Right policy du jour of minimal regulation when taken to extreme, reverses its influence on a free market economy. The market economy works extremely well, but there is still a need for effective regulation and enforcement to ensure everyone gets a fair shake. The CASA needs some education on applying regulations to foster a fair market-based aviation industry.

Many people see the CASA's role as working with and promoting the aviation industry. I don't agree. The industry should and can do that very well for itself. The CASA should not have the role to oversee the success and failure of aviation companies. I would like to see the CASA gets its hands out of the business aspects of aviation companies, remove many of the regulations left over from the two airline years that restrict aviation competitiveness and innovation, continue to move towards adopting and influencing ICAO regulations, effectively apply existing regulations equally and without favour and identify hindrances to industry growth and competition.

It's extremely difficult to set a direction when a new Minister may take the reins in just a few short years and change tack, but it sure would be nice to see all the CASA employees with an enthusiasm and oneness of purpose as opposed to this "lost at sea" and disengaged attitude that has been so pervasive over recent years.

ACMS
11th Dec 2008, 09:56
Yes I hear that it is JM from the CX Brisvegas fleet.

Pass the ear plugs around CASA, they're going to need em :ok:

leading_edge_device
19th Dec 2008, 08:11
I think you guys/gals have it all wrong. The guy is from o/s but he is an aussie pilot and and ex flying manager of cx.
Ex military and heading off to political pastures after nearly 20 years in cx.

Scream on scull:D

Captain Dart
19th Dec 2008, 18:24
There is a thread concerning JM on the Fragrant Harbour forum. It's worth looking at.

Ovation
20th Dec 2008, 08:13
A security fence at Birdsville airport? :rolleyes::rolleyes: