PDA

View Full Version : Where to find the cheapest GA Flying Training in Aus for PPL

ckaine
25th Nov 2008, 05:21
Hi Everyone

Just wondering whether anyone might be able to help me locate some of the cheaper (per hour) companies or clubs in Australia offering GA flying training, preferably in a C172, Warrior or similar.

I am currently living in Tasmania, however the availability of instructors etc is limited so I am looking to travel to the mainland over christmas to complete my PPL. I would be willing to travel anywhere in Aus, within reason, depending on the cost savings compared to flying here.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards
Chris

MCKES
25th Nov 2008, 05:44
Mate going for the cheapest is not the answer, go somewhere you will have the best instruction and good aircraft. Have you been flying with tasair?

Altimeters
25th Nov 2008, 06:02
Yeah I'll definitely go with that!! Don't always think that cheaper is better. :ugh:

DanArcher
25th Nov 2008, 06:16
not sure of the rates but have heard good things about these guys

http://www.goulburnvalleyaeroclub.com/ (http://www.goulburnvalleyaeroclub.com/contactus.html)

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2008, 06:33
How about you tell us what you pay for your C172 and training down there.

then we can tell you whether its viable to move. For $10/hr you will burn that in just a couple of nights accomodation etc. :ugh:

If they are getting an extra $100/hr down there you may have a point.....but I doubt it!

ckaine
25th Nov 2008, 06:47
The cost at the moment is around the $250 per hour mark plus landing fees of $12 ish.

Ideally I would prefer to be flying a newer C172, the ones available down here are P models so are getting a bit long in the tooth, 13,000+ hours on one of them!!

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2008, 07:23
P model ...... long in the tooth http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/laughinatu.gif http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/laughpound.gif....... mind you 13K hours is a lot in a spam can! :eek:

You do need to get out a bit more! Maybe a trip to the mainland will help!

$275-$290 for N models to late models.

Seems Tassie is competitive after all!

J:ok:

ckaine
25th Nov 2008, 07:26
I wasn't asking for comments regarding your belief that I need to get out more.

I consider a 13,000 hour 24 year old aircraft to be long in the tooth, and am well aware that this is the norm at most flying schools, however I am sure there are some around with much newer aircraft.

Torres
25th Nov 2008, 07:38
Try the Cambridge Aero Club. Last time I was there a DHC1 Chippie was £4/10/0 per hour dual, although that was a few years ago and the price may have increased slightly since then. :}

Use "Search" on this Forum but I seem to recall seeing $225 - $250 per hour is about average for a C172. Keep in mind the cheapest is inevitably far from the best and you may not be very happy.......

PlankBlender
25th Nov 2008, 07:57
Try some of the smaller airfields close to controlled airspace, like Ballarat Aero Club - What does it cost to learn to fly? (http://www.ballarataeroclub.com.au/?id=whatdoesitcosttolear)

The 4 seat Cessna 172 rates are $215 dual

Cap'n Arrr
25th Nov 2008, 08:02
Keep in mind that:

1. Newer aircraft are likely to be more expensive per hour due to repayments/insurance etc

2. Cheap per hour is no good to you if you end up needing more training hours than normal to get to standard.

Good luck:ok:

povopilot
25th Nov 2008, 09:08
Mate, My advice would be to go some airfield's and meet the people that will be teaching you instead of just looking at the hourly rate in the glossy little brochure that they hand you.

I am currently paying around $290 per hour ex gst for a 172N and slightly more for a 172S and Arrow. I couldnt care less as i know that the instructors are always there for a chat, even for a few hours if need be, and i don't need to pay landing fees or membership or any other rubbish that some other schools seem to charge.

They are also more than happy to lend texts, documents and equipment as needed for no charge. Also being able to go for a spin with the CP or CFI anytime i want makes life a lot easier.

Shop around and don't go looking for the cheapest what ever you do. I did a few lessons in an RAA aircraft and would much rather pay a bit more straight up for an old clapper Cessna that at least has Navaids, Multiple Comm's and feels like it might give you some chance of surviving a fudged X/Wind landing.

Also - If they seem like a bunch of twats, then they most likely are a bunch of twats. There's plenty of them out there waiting for your money mate, don't give it to them!

povopilot

Capt Wally
25th Nov 2008, 10:01
There's plenty of good comments here re 'cheap is not always best' but then again a lot of the fancie flying schools have big overheads so just because they are expensive P/hr doesn't mean that are any better than a small country outfit. Do yr research & starting here is good, just don't believe everything coming from within here:ok:

And seeing as you only want to complete yr PPL then cheap maybe the go for you if yr already aware of what quality training is or can be like:)

'Povo' $290 P/hr dual C172? OMG that equates to too many years has passed:{

CW