PDA

View Full Version : First And Last Flights.

SamWBA
24th Nov 2008, 21:36
Hi.
Something's been nagging me recently, thought that I can get off my chest here.
If an airline begins operations to a new destination, say a long haul charter operator to a long haul Carribean holiday destination, if nobody's flown out with that airline before, then is return flight empty from the Carribean holiday destination. Same as a last flight for a holiday destination, is an outbound flight empty, considering that's the airlines last ever flight, for an outbound flight passenger couldn't actually get back again.
Thanks.
Sam.

chiglet
24th Nov 2008, 22:26
Airline flies A-B.
First flight outbound... Full [hopefully] return, empty [or if lucky, pick up freight]
Last flight outbound empty, see above
LAST return flight....full
Happens all the time in the Charter [Holiday] Market

WHBM
29th Nov 2008, 17:08
There are a range of ways to minimise the financial loss, depending on the abilities of the commercial department.

In the transition between summer and winter seasons, not that they are as markedly divided as once happened, you can sometimes get a triangular trip, eg in spring London to Palma, first of the summer season, Palma to Geneva empty, Geneva to London, last of the ski season coming home.

Some charterers will have a low number on the last flight out, and will arrange a return for them by scheduled carrier.

The first out or last back are often not fully sold commercially anyway as they will be taking the reps and other staff to/from their seasonal assignments.