PDA

View Full Version : Converting to JAR

Inter90
24th Nov 2008, 14:26
I'm looking to convert my current ICAO licence to a JAR licence. After some research I have learned that only WAAC over in Perth are approved in OZ.

Has anyone completed a conversion course with WAAC, mainly the 14 ATPL subjects and if so how did you find the course, instructors etc?

A colleague also told me that by converting straight to a JAR IR, it actually exempts you from having to complete the flying component of the JAR CPL (providing you have the applicable theory passes). Is this true? (can't find this in the CAA regs.)

Is there a better way to convert an ICAO licence to JAR?

Appreciate any advice
I90

kuchemann carrots
24th Nov 2008, 14:33
No experience with WAAC, but you do have to complete training as required to pass the CPL 170A (pre-test test) and flight test even with the IR completed. LASORS contains the majority of the info.
Not sure if it is still the case, but the IR flight test used to have to be taken by a CAA staff examiner in the UK. (If that is indeed the JAA license you're going for.)
Not too sure if I would be spending the money at the moment. Most of the EU is in dire financial times, with a lot of airlines going under. Not a good time to be an unemployed pilot, even with hours.

DeltaT
25th Nov 2008, 07:44
You are exempt the morse test, and a training hours requirement prior to sitting the flight test, thats all your existing icao licence gets you as part of the conversion. Everything else you have to do. If you have several 1000 hours and a heavy rating, then I think you might get some better exemptions.

Abu Bebo
10th Dec 2008, 18:26
I was living in New Zealand and completed the distance learning modules with WAAC in 2007. The course was in three modules and I travelled to Perth on these occasions which suited me fine as my wife is from Perth and we were organising our wedding at the time.
I am a graduate and have some experience of self study, but the notes were the worst I have ever used: grammatically poor, inconsistent, and sometimes unreliable. The first point may seem niggling but it was distracting when I was concentrating on the subject; the second led to some confusion but may have helped me understand the subject better; the third was annoying as it manifested in the end-of-section revision questions and resulted in a loss of confidence in the material.
The online material was very useful as there was a large number of relevant questions with answers from the staff which usually cleared up any problems I may have been experiencing with the notes. Also, before each exam session there was a week of groundschool to work out any remaining issues. Although an integrated course was running concurrently I never felt that we were second-place; and the facilities were adequate, including wifi access and free tea and coffee.
All my fellow students passed the exams the first time (with only one exception, I think).
WAAC suited me as I could learn at my own pace at home and although travelling to Perth three times was a little expensive, it killed two birds with one stone as mentioned.
If you intend to do the CPL conversion, remember that you will need a JAR Class 1 medical, which can only be obtained initially from Gatwick. Also your licence and ratings need to be current and valid to count for exemption to the hour requirement.

compressor stall
10th Dec 2008, 18:56
This is the webpage you need. LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780)

It's downloadable as a 74mb file here (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591). Dunno why it's so bit as there's not that much data in it.

redsnail
10th Dec 2008, 20:12
Inter90,

Remember one thing, only licenses are converted. So, if you hold a CPL, that's what you can convert to.

I haven't done the WAAC version of the ATPL theory. Either way, you'll have to do the IR or whatever flying in the UK. No way around that.

I would spend a lot, and I mean a LOT of time searching through LASORS so you know you exactly what you can convert and what you cannot.

I wouldn't be in a super hurry at the mo, 2009 is looking mighty tough in UK and Europe. However, the Olympics will be in London in 2012. That's a useful timeframe to aim for.