PDA

View Full Version : NZ PPL to Australian PPL

winged hunters
23rd Nov 2008, 18:15
Hello,

I am planning on visiting a mate on a station in WA next year and I am planning to do a bit of private flying in there 152.

Despite searching the net and these boards I can't find any info about converting an NZ PPL to an Aus PPL (A). I can find plenty about CPL conversions, is it a similar process to that? Or do I just need to get an Aus medical considering it's only a PPL?

Any help or a link would be appreciated.

Cheers! :ok:

solowflyer
24th Nov 2008, 06:31
As no one else has answered yet thought I would attempt. I don't think you can convert your PPL as it is not a Professional Qualification under the Trans Tasman thingy like you can with a CPL however I'm sure you can just get your NZ PPL Validated through a flying school for a period of time, probably involves a quick check flight and a short quiz. I will probably be corrected by someone better in the know but that's how I think it works with a PPL.

Have fun

lorads
24th Nov 2008, 06:39
you can get a special pilot licence Flight crew exams and licences - Converting foreign licences (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm#special)

cam81
5th Jan 2010, 10:43
hi,
From what can gather is that they phased out the special pilots licence in 2006. I have read a link on the CAA site and they show a table of what can be converted. The PPL is not able to be converted, they dont however go on to say what you can do if you hold a nz PPL and want to fly in aus with it. I find myself with the problem of living in nz wanting to get my ppl but I am australian and will more than likely go back there one day. So I am wondering, would I have to do it all over again in australia???

Propstop
6th Jan 2010, 02:18
I got my PPL in NZ and when I moved back to Oz I did a flight test with a cross country nav exercise for my Oz PPL. I also had to do air legislation exam as well. This was back in 1999.
I have no idea what it is now.

DeeJayEss
6th Jan 2010, 11:31
Private Pilot Licences (PPL) are not recognised under the TTMRA.

From the TTMRA (Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act) document, available here. http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/download/ttmra.pdf.

HTH.