PDA

View Full Version : Dhl 727 Gets Attacked Trying To Land In Kandahar

kbo415
23rd Nov 2008, 16:25
A DHL 727 crew was forced to do a go around when they received reports from the tower at Kandahar the field, runway and surrounding aircraft was falling under attack by either morters or small to medium arms fire. The crew obviously refused to continue for another approach and continued on to Karachi.:sad: The cargo must fly at all costs:ok:

bostonpilgrim
23rd Nov 2008, 20:47
Or was it that the airfield was already closed and they were holding away from the airport and then diverted to KHI??. Only to return later the same day??.
But i guess that rumour wouldnt get them a bargaining chip for any more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

All we seem to hear is DHL 727 gets targetted here there and everywhere, or pilots refuse to fly here there and everywhere.
Yet the crews still seem to be flying to these places, why??.
is it the $$$$$$$$$$$$
or can they not get jobs antwhere else :rolleyes:

time4parties
24th Nov 2008, 21:29
'Plane flies into a WAR ZONE and gets shot at!!!!!!!!'

BYALPHAINDIA
24th Nov 2008, 23:04
Who in their 'right' mind would even attempt to fly into Kandahar??

DHL can't be that bothered, If they are sending in a Knackered old 727 in!!

Why do the flight crews even sign the flight manifest in the first place??

TheInquisitor
25th Nov 2008, 02:11
We do. Every day. And oddly enough, I'm still alive.

This is a non-event.

Beer_n_Tabs
25th Nov 2008, 10:26
Why do the flight crews even sign the flight manifest in the first place??

Possibly for the same reason that several thousand armed forces members, civilian aid workers, security contractors, allsorts of NGO's etc go there....its their job :ugh:

golfyankeesierra
25th Nov 2008, 11:13
DHL can't be that bothered, If they are sending in a Knackered old 727 in!!
If DHL isn't bothered, then probably the insurance company is....

Desert is full of 72's. Just buying another one is probably cheaper then the premium for flying in there.

BTW, was the plane attacked, or was the airport attacked (while the aircraft was arriving)?

philbky
25th Nov 2008, 11:15
This is a non-event.

Exactly and, by the OP's own statement:

when they received reports from the tower at Kandahar the field, runway and surrounding aircraft was falling under attack by either morters or small to medium arms fire.

it wasn't the 727 that was under fire - no doubt the crew might just have realised!

Another sensationalist thread header.

moosp
25th Nov 2008, 14:05
Agreed. People who start and try to keep these threads going with their "Shock horror bullets fired" headlines have no concept of flying under fire or into areas of known combat.

Stansted-Malaga must get pretty heavy for these guys even on a good day.

Live with it. The professional pilots out there that do fly these unusual routes make a risk assessment on the day and they either go or no-go. Perhaps these softer people who think that a bullet five yards outside the flightdeck is a problem for their managers to solve haven't quite grasped the reality of threat assessment.

L-38
25th Nov 2008, 15:36
Another sensationalist thread header.
This thread header has merit . . it merely shows that there is still insurgent activity at a field where other carriers besides DHL are just now starting to operate into. Consider this headline notam as simply mild info.

leftseatview
25th Nov 2008, 16:26
Indain(now Air India) has a scheduled pax service to Kabul.
One of their A300s got hiacked to Kandahar just before 9-11 when that place was a taliban stronghold.
The fight against medival mindset of the likes of taliban isnt going to be just won by the milatary with everyone else watching it on TV.
DHL and their crew are doing a great service and they need to keep up the good work just like those Flying Tiger folks did years ago.

Golf Charlie Charlie
25th Nov 2008, 16:37
Sorry if a bit off topic, but the Indian A300 was not actually flying to/from Afghanistan when it was hijacked. The Indians caved in after a week and released to the Taleban some serious terrorists in exchange for the aircraft's release.

philbky
25th Nov 2008, 17:09
This thread header has merit

It doesn't. It's inaccurate and sensationalist. If the headline had been "DHL 727 diverts due to attack on airfield", then the headline would have been accurate and fulfilled your criteria.

kbo415
26th Nov 2008, 12:19
According to the crew involved in the incident, it is true. Just as they were on short finals, the airport did fall under attack.. As far as they are concerned in the future the Turks and Egyptians can fly in there from now on with their A300's.

bostonpilgrim
26th Nov 2008, 15:13
As far as they are concerned in the future the Turks and Egyptians can fly in there from now on with their A300's.

Is that why the little B727 has been sat on the ramp in KDH most days since then??.
Obviously had a major impact on the crews.

Pure sensationalism

leftseatview
26th Nov 2008, 15:24
Not sure about mortar rounds,but the A300 can survive a shoulder launched missile hit.Hopefully wont happen and the UK/US/Coalition military soon get situation in hand, especially with parcels from home flown in by brave DHL crews (presumably Egyptian/Turkish now!)

cessna24
26th Nov 2008, 16:23
A Bright yellow aircraft with noisy engines is defo the best aircraft for the job!!!! I spoke to the crew of one DHL B727 and they said that sometimes in the dark they leave there lights off till late in the approach before swiching them on to avoid detection. How true, most probably pulling my chain!!

JW411
26th Nov 2008, 19:08
In similar circumstances in my flying career we didn't use any lights at all. It's much safer that way!

kbo415
27th Nov 2008, 20:57
yeah, that's what we normally do.. going into Iraq or Afganistan, we leave our lights off. Don't really know if that matters but that's how we were trained..

fernytickles
27th Nov 2008, 22:17
I've watched a movie or two - don't the "baddies" use heat seaking missiles or night vision goggles - in which case lights on or off will do nowt?

kbo415
28th Nov 2008, 09:09
I think it's really more a false sense of security.. Like doing a spiral in Bagdad.. Bottom line is if a baddie wants your ass doing a spiral or flying with the lights and all the other avoidance measure mean absolutly f:mad: all.

TheInquisitor
29th Nov 2008, 01:43
Not true. Us military types use tactics and procedures that we have practiced and devloped over decades because they work. You cannot eliminate risk but you can greatly reduce it.

And NEVER do a spiral - very bad idea.

slowto280
29th Nov 2008, 16:24
I was under the assumption a spiraling descent was used because the airfield should be 'therorectically secure'. No? Although back in the 80's an Irish flown L-382 was shot down with a stinger, happened to be a dud, up the tailpipe of #3. But then again, I believe that was on a daytime departure, Huambo, if I remember correctly..........:confused:

HAWK21M
29th Nov 2008, 17:30
Fantastic work in real danger.....
regds
MEL