PDA

View Full Version : Nose cam and Recon Pod fitted to LX A320E!

Mr Quite Happy
23rd Nov 2008, 06:25
OK< maybe not the recce pod but my flight from AMS to ZRH on Thursday showed the forwards view whilst taxiing and after about 30 secs of flight switched to a straight down view.

After a while we reverted to the inflight comedy and adverts and then on finals we got our fowards view again right down to the ground and parking up (for our bus ride :-(

Mentioned it to Mrs QH when I got home and she mentioned BA did it years ago but didn't include the landing (but did have finals). I have to admit to routing for the ALS as we came in and it didn't dissipoint!

If you've got a chance to fly Swiss on an A320E then may I recommend it.

Donkey497
23rd Nov 2008, 09:11
....Also part of the ICE on Etihad & Emirates.:cool:

WHBM
25th Nov 2008, 12:47
Seems to be fairly common on A320s of various fleets so I am guessing it is an OEM option.

Always good to check on finals that they have got the PAPIs right !

strake
25th Nov 2008, 12:54
Seems to be fairly common on A320s of various fleets

Agree. I always wondered why VS didin't use it as it's the sort of thing they might.
On Emirates, the forward looking was interesting on take off and landing but I never really saw the point of the downward camera as it always seemed blurred.

cottonfoo
26th Nov 2008, 15:01
On Emirates, the forward looking was interesting on take off and landing but I never really saw the point of the downward camera as it always seemed blurred.

I like the downward camera, especially when going over mountainous terrain (and there's no cloud of course). Was fine the last time I was on an Emirates flight.

west lakes
26th Nov 2008, 20:59
Had a flight-deck visit with my son when he was younger on an A320 (prior to 9/11) the captain asked if I thought the views were interesting. He explained the cameras had been originally fitted as a safety feature so the flight-deck could ensure the area beneath was clear prior to taxy.

AKAFresh
10th Dec 2008, 23:52
You will also enjoy this feature on Sri Lankan Airlines A330 and A340 aircraft. :ok:

Forward Camera
Downward Camera

The cameras stay on throughout the whole flight and are automatically set for viewing during takeoff and landing on all seatbacks and cabin screens, but you have control over which one you want to view on your personal screen. Always a good way to judge the landings :) mind you I wonder what the pilots think when they come into land knowing that all 300+ passengers are watching it! (in greater detail than usual anyway)

AkA.

grimmrad
11th Dec 2008, 16:38
I really hope that that is the last thing the pilots are thinking about at that time...