PDA

View Full Version : Scanner + Cold weather

HeathrowAirport
22nd Nov 2008, 21:35
Hi, Just a quick question.

I moved my room around lately.. and at first it seemed alrite. But then my scanner when on airband freq is really bad, a/c too. I just get "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSTHHSH" i normally get really clear. Just off late ive got really bad, what could it be?

The scanner works on Radio thought, just airband something seems up.

Is it the cold weather affecting it>

Regards,

Rob

HeathrowAirport
23rd Nov 2008, 20:08
Someone told me the pressure could have affect on it... my local station is showing... Q0988

Is this why the signal especially on Controller side is making this noise?

Gulf4uk
23rd Nov 2008, 20:54
hi

What you dont say is about the Aerial you moved the Radio yes fine but
are you using an out door one or one on the scanner because it sounds
like loss of signal Strength possibly due to where you moved radio to.
Suggest you move radio Temporary back to previous place see if all
is Well. also check all aerial connections for short circuit or broken.
Cloud cover can alter reception but this does sound like loss of Signal

Of course I may be wrong and no doubt someone will say its Rubbish
But its a start.

Tony
EGLF Farnborough not far from EGLL Heathrow

Rampvan
23rd Nov 2008, 21:11
Is the radio/scanner closer to the PC than it used to be? if so try moving it further away this could be the reason for the interference. There may also be another reason, over the weekend LHR tower has been on 124.475 on 27R / 09L instead of 118.7.

HeathrowAirport
23rd Nov 2008, 22:09
Hi, Yes the PC is a bit nearer.. however when i first moved it the signal was still good.. just these last 2 days, it has gone terrible. Yeah i noticed the frequency changed, but i hardly pick up that. I mostly pick up Director and London.

My Aerial is an outdoor one...and i even tried too move that further from the PC, still no luck, ill wait until the Pressure in London Goes up, see if thats the cause.

My Pc has only move a yard and a 1/2 from were it was. Could this be a problem with the main trasmiter.. i pick up all London Positions, mainly Heathrow and Gatwick Directors.. i live in the South East London Area, Under the 27R ILS. What direction is my nearest transmitter?

Thanks a lot guys,

Rob

Hotel Tango
23rd Nov 2008, 22:22
I presume you've done this, but just in case: to see if it is the PC, simply try the scanner with your PC & monitor completely switched off and then compare the reception with PC on. Are you operating your scanner using batteries or off the mains?

HeathrowAirport
23rd Nov 2008, 22:27
I did that... and still the same. I am using batteries for my scanner!

Regards,

R...

coldair
24th Nov 2008, 09:37
Hiya,

it's possible that rain has got into your antenna connections. We've had a lot lately :(

I notice that I loose signal strength on my TV when there's been a heavy downpour. ( I need a new ariel really )

Wait for a few days of dry weather and see if it improves.
I think it highly unlikely that atmospherics has anything to do with it.

Regards.