PDA

View Full Version : Afriqiyah Airways

PHAROH
22nd Nov 2008, 13:43
any pilot is working there for info ?

Flying Aggie
22nd Nov 2008, 18:50
all of the pilots are libyan unless the aircraft is not 5A.

ibelieveicanfly
25th Nov 2008, 03:11
I flew for this airline 1 week out of tripoli with my company 2 years ago: it is an horror to live in this city,believe me,like in the middle age almost.

bear11
25th Nov 2008, 09:17
Disagree completely, as will many others. I was very pleasantly surprised by the place and the people. You're entitled to your opinion, but I suspect you will be in a minority. Go with an open mind, and enjoy.

Gunship
23rd Mar 2009, 16:48
I flew for this airline 1 week out of tripoli with my company 2 years ago: it is an horror to live in this city,believe me,like in the middle age almost

Of course you are welcome with your opinion.
In this case I can not agree with you as I think you have not been here.
I have been living in the city for nearly 4 years now.
I can work basically anywhere in the World.
Make up your own mind.

surely not
23rd Mar 2009, 17:20
Jeez Gunnnnssss is it that long since we had a beer together before you left Ghana? We are long overdue a few more!!

A bit harsh on 'IbelieveIcanJudgeaCityinOneWeek' who is obviously a superman who saw every part of the City and Country in 1 week!!

He was probably bemused by the Roman ruins at Leptis Magna and Sebratha and mistook them for modern housing developments. An easy mistake to make :mad:

I'm sure he also took time to drive out to the mountains at the back of Jefren and Garian (not sure of the spellings) to see Libya away from the City and to appreciate a different and hard way of living.

Of course I might be wrong :}

Gunship
23rd Mar 2009, 17:24
Any sidebets he was never here or he sat in the one corner of his hotel room drinking diet Pepsi ?

Uhmm yes I need beer in Accra again.
Watch out for that girl on my facebook - she can get scary :}

surely not
23rd Mar 2009, 17:27
hhahahahahahaha she has no class..........wants to shop in the Egyptian Grocery store in Knightsbridge!!

Gunship
23rd Mar 2009, 17:28
Pharoh sorry back to your thread - sorry.
I was re-directed here from my web site. (no names as it will be deleted anyway).
Flying Aggie knows the pilot issues here but since he made that remark I am sure things have changed. Afriqiyah Aiways are recruiting ! I just do not know who you must contact ? I heard today some French and English guys are coming.

I will find out as a friend is also seriously looking.

PS: First A330 lands 15/16 May 09 and the second 2 odd weeks after that.

Cheers

Gunss

B-737
24th Mar 2009, 00:46
Hi
What are their minimum requirements to apply for FO position ?
Thanks

omaaa
21st May 2009, 09:37
Hey, B-737, hope your doing good, Afriqiyah are absolutly despret for pilots, at the moment they are taking A320 FOs who are type rated. most of their pilots are ex libyan pilots who have even flown the 727s, due to lack of pilots in libya and a mass of airbus planes on order for both Libyan and Afriqiyah they have been forced to bring in pilots from abroad.

i know they are looking at starting a sponsorship for libyan nationals in the near future, but its still unclear as to which school etc they will be looking at.

many thanks,

papsifo
21st May 2009, 20:29
hi guys

any contact info for their recrutment department ?

many thanks

omaaa
22nd May 2009, 07:24
at the moment i dont have any of the info, still getting through via contacts here and there, but try the number on the website see if you can get passed through. it is really a case of luck

Mister Geezer
23rd May 2009, 21:38
Folks... don't believe a word of what ibelieveicanfly is mumbling about. He has previous slated Libya as a place to work in and it is all false. There are far worse places to work in and I enjoy working in Libya. It is a safe place to live and work and largely immune to the economic turmoil that the rest of the world is facing.

I don't work for Afriqiyah but they are as good a bet as you will find at the moment. It is clear that the government has given them a blank cheque to allow them to expand and working for a large state owned airline in a stable economic environment will give you job security in these times. There will be far more foreigners coming and this will only be the start. I have no contact details but give them a phone and try and see if you can speak to someone since I am sure they will be glad to hear from you if you have a valid Airbus rating. Getting a validation for a foreign licence can be obtained very quickly so the logistics are perhaps easier than for some other countries!

Edited to say that I heard that Afriqiyah have apparently made an an offer to all the Libyans who are working at Qatar: Come back to Libya and we will match the salary that Qatar gave you! :}

palmizio2000
5th Jun 2009, 20:10
any news on arrival date for a330 , and start new operations???

Flying Aggie
6th Jun 2009, 19:48
As far I was told three days ago from friends who work there, that the New aircrafts are delayed for a bit, but I forgot for how long!!!

LibyanArabAirline
6th Jun 2009, 23:08
heres a pic of one of dem just leavin da airbus plant.....

Photos: Airbus A330-203 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Afriqiyah-Airways/Airbus-A330-203/1531889/M/)

LH2
7th Jun 2009, 13:35
i know they are looking at starting a sponsorship for libyan nationals in the near future

Do you mean another sponsorship perhaps?

There were a few Libyan pilots at SEFA in Saint Yan (France) when I went through there last winter. Don't know for sure who their sponsor was, but Libyan government rings a bell.

omaaa
13th Jun 2009, 10:41
afriqiyah have 30 students waiting in tripoli to be sent to oxford, they will be trying to push more through, but afriqiyah airways is slowly getting its act together, must empashise key word slowly! they are still affraid to put out full blown ads in europe, i just hope to god they can fill the A330s.

Ghost_Rider737
14th Jun 2009, 11:59
Forgive me if this is a known obvious ...but what does the number 9 on the tail mean ?

omaaa
14th Jun 2009, 12:22
ah the downside to afriqiyah! its colour scheme!! no its not a known obvious, its the 09.09.99, the date they signed a declaration for a united africa or african union of some sort in sirte, Libya qadafis hometown.. i was sure they were to merge (libyan and afriqiyah) after reading an article in flight global, thought the colour scheme would change and be the same for both airlines, turns out they are owned by the same parent company but they will remain two different airlines.

a4mrav8r
15th Jun 2009, 10:27
Hello gents,
Can anyone tell me if there is active recruiting now for A320 DECs? I have searched their website with no success looking for a contact. Any ideas where to drop a CV?
I appreciate any information available. PM if you like.
Thanks.:confused:

Sitting Bull
17th Jun 2009, 07:24
I JUST LOOOVE THE PAINT SCHEME!!!!

Finally some colours on an airliner...

palmizio2000
20th Jun 2009, 20:23
Any info on date for interview for A330 , and arrival of the first aircraft ???

laic
23rd Jun 2009, 12:33
I know of one agency recruiting for them for the A330, but unfortunately not one with a very good reputation. Is there a way around those guys?
Has anybody got something after sending their cv directly to HR?
If this agency is the only way to get in there for an expat, then I'll just send them my stuff. Ad says starting date July and August, may be for the interviews that is, not sure.

omaaa
23rd Jun 2009, 21:18
Hi there, after a slight problem with the interior of the A330s for Afriqiyah, the plane should be arriving to tripoli end of July and second in August.
Afriqiyah will also be taking delivery of their third A319 around the end of August hopefully.

Afriqiyah are still looking for many pilots also Libyan airlines which will be taking delivery of their A330s next year however Libyan pay slightly less then Afriqiyah but a job is a job, there is talk of a merger. They are both run by the Libyan Afriqiyah holding company but they intend to keep the two airlines run seperatly for the time being.

If you try to contact HR by email you will most likely not be hearing back, I suggest you try to ring directly however obtaining the number will be a mission in itself

swedflyer
25th Jun 2009, 16:10
laic: can you be more specific re the recruiting agency? (please don't say search and you will find!)

Sim assessments planned in Brussels in July and August.

rgds

zerograv
26th Jun 2009, 11:42
Swedflyer

Ads with "A330 and North Africa" that showed up in the recent past;
I can remember of Homac Aviaton and Brookfield Aviation.

Hope this helps!

Safe flights
Zero

swedflyer
27th Jun 2009, 09:52
Thanks zero

Maybe a bit unclear, just wondered about the positive/negative aspects of the recruiting agencies.

bigoil
28th Jun 2009, 16:23
Ive flown as a pax on both Afriqiyah and Libyan Arab and they are improving the schedule and in flight service. But remember it is Africa.

The equipment is good but as in all African countries maintenance is non existant and missing arm rests, torn seat back pockets, dirty interior windows, ratty seat belts, etc etc are the norm.

If you are flying from Tripoli or Benghazi home to the US and have a tight connection in say CDG or LHR you relax and say Inshalla.

Mister Geezer
28th Jun 2009, 20:42
The equipment is good but as in all African countries maintenance is non existant and missing arm rests, torn seat back pockets, dirty interior windows, ratty seat belts, etc etc are the norm.

Things have moved on since the 'old' days!

bigoil
1st Jul 2009, 19:33
what old days, this was a few weeks ago.

CDG to TIP. a few rows behind business, RH isle seat no armrest on isle.

always, always late and the only time you can maybe depart on time if you have an early morning flt and its the first departure of the day.

5 yrs of experience so don't tell me what you know.....

omaaa
2nd Jul 2009, 19:37
The thing with Afriqiyah and Libyan, you can not compare them to other European or African Airlines, they are in a very unique position, they are both a long way off the good old days in the 70s maybe early 80s before the country was hit heavily by the sanctions, the days when 'Libyan Arab Airlines' won awards and was a very efficient service, credit to both airlines for trying very hard to get back to these sorts of standards once set for Arab and African airlines, even some European Airlines!

Fortunatly its a country blessed with oil wealth but at the very same time, blessed with a management team who simply 'do not know' how to go about setting up a world class airline, the torn seats and missing arm rests you speak of are correct ofcourse, these aircraft are rented from neighbouring Tunisia, I have been on board almost every plane in the Libyan fleet including the recently retired 727s. As a Libyan it gives me great pride to see Afriqiyah's new fleet of A320/19s with individual entertainment and very spacious. not to mention the new Libyan Airlines fleet when they start to be delivered! Just hope they get their act together with its punctuality!

zerograv
4th Jul 2009, 18:09
Omaaa

Which is the fleet type that Libyan Airlines is waiting to receive?

The A300s do look old, but the CRJs look fairly recent, albeit,
I have never been inside of any Libyan Airlines aircraft. Been
only in Afriqiyah aircraft, one of Afriqiyah (a recent one) and
one of Nouvellair.

Safe flights
Zero

omaaa
10th Jul 2009, 16:48
The Crjs have just been delievered 2 of them were this year the rest last year.
Afriqiyah has 2 A320s which are very recent and 2 A319s, the third will arrive maybe end of august along with 2 A330s in august, the third next year.
there should be 11 more A320s arriving.

Libyan have a total of 5 new CRJs, and they have not received any of the 6 A320s, i think this will start after the summer towards the end of the year, along with 4 A330s starting next year. both airlines have orders on the A350s but for 2017

zerograv
12th Jul 2009, 02:19
Omaaa

Thanks for the info!!!

Regards,
Zero

Ted T. Beefcake
17th Jul 2009, 16:08
Given the bon-homie that exists between Gaddafi and Bob Mugabe in Zimbabwe, does anyone think there'll ever be a service between TIP & HRE?

Each year i fly home to Zim and thus far i have always had to go FCO to HRE via ADD on ET, and i was hoping to make a change this year, perhaps do some exploring in Libya.

Any info would be most welcome!

Duh
7th Aug 2009, 08:36
Brookefield seems to be the only one handling them. Rumor is they are &^*%**&. Anyone with some inside info? Or is it a secret not to be shared with fellow aviators .

Sitting Bull
8th Aug 2009, 09:54
Itīs simple: if you have ALL the required qualifications (A330 rating with LPC current for 6 months, ETOPS, MNPS, Cat III and the required hours on type) you will be contacted, screened and hired if satisfactory.

The money is good, the days on/off not really and Brookfield is not better or worse than all the others (but far from *********).

So if you donīt have the qualifications donīt even bother.

If you get the job know what youīre getting into: Tripoli is not Dubai, Afriqiyah is not Emirates, but they try hard to create a great airline, they pay on time and let you fly a nice plane. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sitting Bull
8th Aug 2009, 11:10
X-wind TO, visual pattern, go-around with engine failure, non-precision approach and landing.

Emergency descent, obstacle driftdown scenario, unreliable airspeed, ...all strictly according to Airbus QRH.

Better be prepared.

afjose
9th Aug 2009, 05:29
hi can somebody please direct me or help me find out where to send my resume for the A330 position?:)

july66
10th Aug 2009, 12:05
Brookfield Aviation; [email protected]

Frappucino
14th Aug 2009, 14:18
I received an email for the screening ...

1 hour sim, hand flying, NPA engine fail AP off / other seat emergencies; engine fail in cruise green dot strategy, emer descent init, dual FMGC fail / recover, unreliable speed recover in cruise. Interview, plus some technical queries.

hmmm. dual fmgc failure ... unreliable airpeed, sounds tougher that most screenings. I never failed a single flight test or exam before, but now I think I need to review some material.

Giggey
15th Aug 2009, 12:37
Hi guys
Any more news about the selection process? what about the interview?
how many pilots they need on 320 and how's the company in general to work for? more expats or locals flying?

thanks in advance

Sitting Bull
16th Aug 2009, 15:16
Dear Frappucino

Good idea to prepare for an interview...ANY interview!!!

The interview is not worse than interviews for A330īs in other companies and quite frankly, if a Capt. or F/O is not able to do this check even without preparation he has no business being in an A330.

See you in the Sim

kikoamaya
17th Aug 2009, 01:35
Hello
I have the screening on Thursday, i think we are going to be 12 f/o, 4 each day, does anyone knows how many f/o are they looking for? Is it also a Capt. screening?
Rgds.

kikoamaya
17th Aug 2009, 01:37
Frapuccino are you a Captain or a Firs officer?

Duh
17th Aug 2009, 12:20
I tryd lookng at all post here. What are housing like for Afriqiah. I here they give you a hotel to live in. Good hotel?
What are 320 nightstops, Afrika or europe?

Thxs,

cheers

Mister Geezer
17th Aug 2009, 22:36
Hotels in Libya can vary greatly and their star grading system can be rather flexible at times. Do your homework.

319/320 nightstops exist in Dubai, London and some in Africa too.

Giggey
18th Aug 2009, 11:56
Anybody in Brux for the 26-27 interview?

cheers

bubby4
20th Aug 2009, 21:33
I Was There In Sept 2008 Working For My Ex-company.
The People Are Sweet.
I Did Not Like The Food.
But I Was In The Hotel,good.
The Groundstaff From Afriqyah Were Good.
Immigration An Customs No Problem.
They Hold Your Passport And Take Half Hour,but No Problem,only Procedures.
A Lot Of Stores And Good Price.
You Can Not Drink But You Can Smoke Everywhere And Drink A Good Coffee.
Folks Is Another Culture.

laic
24th Aug 2009, 04:44
First aircraft delivered mid-August I believed.
Now what are the rumours regarding the 2nd and 3rd A330 delivery dates ??

quintana
24th Aug 2009, 19:03
Dear colleagues

I would like to know things to do in Tripoli, because Iīll be there in one month and I have never been there.
Some GYM; any sports to practice.

Probably other pilots and I will rent a house, Someone knows about a great zone, near the airport, to rent a house with pool or something similar.

Thank you all.

Sitting Bull
24th Aug 2009, 20:31
What rumours?

The first 330 is flying every day, the second is scheduled to arrive in about 2 weeks and the 3rd around the end of September but that can change by a week or two.

laic
25th Aug 2009, 08:22
S.B.,
Yes I stood to be corrected on my last posting.
First line should have read "So, first aircraft was delivered mid-August". Next time around, after a long night haul, I'll rest then post and not the other way around. Tks !

Sitting Bull
25th Aug 2009, 19:09
Dear laic

No problem whatsoever :)

Dear qintana

There is a gym near our hotel, nicely equipped if your into serious training and reasonably priced. Not much else around except in the Korintia hotel but the facilities there are extremely expensive.

As for renting something: I suggest to think twice about it as there is not really any nice area in Tripolis and you will be lost trying to get anything done. Stay in the hotels, at least they take good care of you.

Leboeuf
14th Sep 2009, 09:07
It seems very calm now on the Afriqiyah side.
Is the A320 recruitment completed ?
Tks

july66
14th Sep 2009, 13:20
I'm waiting for the dates of next screenings at the end of this month. Brookfield Aviation arranged for me and apparently all candidates on behalf of Afriqiyah. I'm not sure how many vacancies still exist but if you contact Chris or Felicity at Brookfield you may be in with a chance.

Leboeuf
14th Sep 2009, 20:23
tks July66,
I am on std by with them since last month and was wondering if something was moving ...
tks

B-767 fan
17th Oct 2009, 12:50
am one of the new recruited pilots students for Afriqiyah Airways were are 23 actually not 30, the course will begin January the forth

Cpt.Bennaji
1st Nov 2009, 22:04
Hi Omaaa,,
I was one from the 1200 ppl who applied for Afriqiyah to join te team, and be sent to Oxford, but as i heared lastely that they will be sent to Australia, dunno if that true.but its ok. Are u working for them?

Cpt.Bennaji
1st Nov 2009, 22:14
4 frm the A-350.. in the next 5 years or maybe 7

omaaa
5th Nov 2009, 20:32
Hi guys, oh 23? thanks, I was under the impression was 30!
good luck guys, and no word on the school they selected just yet?

B-767 fan
8th Nov 2009, 18:53
we will attend SEFA aviation School located in saint yan, France,
they haven't told us when we leave though, presumably at the end of this month
can't wait :)

starliner
10th Nov 2009, 10:45
yip, JNB-TIP on Tuesdays and Fridays

Sam Rutherford
10th Nov 2009, 15:09
Random question, is anyone able to send me a scan of the HLLT aerodrome chart (runways, taxiways, ramps etc.)?

Thanks! Sam.

fornic8
14th Nov 2009, 07:12
Starliner....Thanks for the info. :ok:

Tolan
15th Nov 2009, 21:51
Anyone know the pay/T&C's for Captains and F/O's?

elpilotofrances
21st Nov 2009, 22:16
see afriqiyah crew in JNB in the morning .... was leaving at night Minimum rest
sound good !

Harlem
1st Dec 2009, 07:32
Does anyone know if Afriqiyah are looking for 330 crews nowadays? Do they do only through brookers or there are any chance to get a direct contract with them?

july66
1st Dec 2009, 10:08
We all work through Brookfield Aviation. I'm not sure if they are still recruiting - nobody new has arrived here in TIP for the last two or three weeks, but the only pilots directly employed are Libyans. All the expats come through Brookfield.

Harlem
1st Dec 2009, 10:27
Thanks a lot July66.

Could you tell me anything about the conditions, rostering, live in Tripoli...

Fell free to PM to me.

Thanks again

Arik
1st Dec 2009, 11:25
What percentage of pilots would you think are Libyans? I presume CC are all Libyan nationals? Does Libyan Airlines recruit expats too?

Arik