View Full Version : ATPL Study Tips & Time Savers

agent.oen
21st Nov 2008, 16:02
Hi guys,

I think it would be great if we had a thread sharing tips and mnemonics to ease on the ATPL workload which can be grueling at times! I had come across the following so far in my training:

The different speeds and how to correct to find the other speeds:
I C E T - IAS, CAS, EAS/RAS, TAS (pronounced like the drink, Ice Tea)
P C D - Position and Instrument error, Compression error, Density error
(Note the positioning of PCD between the letters making up the mnemonic ICET)

Altimeter errors related to Pitot and Static blockages:
PUDSOD - Pitot Underreads Descent, Static Overreads Climb. Vice versa for the opposite situations

HDG conversions:
True Virgins Make David Cry: True - Variation - Magnetic - Deviation - Compass

East is Least, West is Best: for the above sequence, subtract easterly variations, deviations; add westerly variations, deviations.

Please share your own mnemonics/tips!

agent.oen
22nd Nov 2008, 13:38
Doesn't look like there's gonna be much help or sharing!

Nice

DaveD
22nd Nov 2008, 16:23
Altimeter
Transponder
Pitot Heat
Lights
Strobes

____

Good tips for studying i heard about, when answering lots of test papers, note down the questions you get wrong, and then put them aside for a different paper. (Like a exam on all the questions your getting wrong.) Until you have none left! :D

riseagainst
23rd Nov 2008, 06:16
Found this on the forum not so long ago..And yeah this thread is a good idea! :ok:" you run out of time for one of the ETPs in the exam (usually the last question worth a LOT of marks), then a really good way is to simply calculate total distance then check which of their answers move into wind. Quite often two of their four answers can be discounted immediately. Then if you are out of time, you have a 50% chance at guessing the right answer for a big question - can get u over the line."

smith
23rd Nov 2008, 10:07
Biggest time saver is, don't study for them, don't apply for test and don't sit them, will save you loads of time and money as you ain't gonna get a job in the foreseeable future, save yourself the bother.

Just kiddin mate, good luck with the exams I know they are tough wouldn't like to go through them again :D

expedite08
23rd Nov 2008, 10:41
Smith,

There is some truth in that statement thats the worrying thing about it!!

Enjoy the ATPL's take your time with them. The CAA are real pains by having the silly time limits like having to complete within 18 months of taking the first exam and having to complete all flying training within 36 months of completeing the ATPL's. Now being our governing body 'technically' you would think that they would see our situation a bit better and extend the time limits or abolish them altogther! Especially in times like this when the economy is in bits! Now lets see, if the Government are comming up with temporary measures to 'aid' people in the downturn ( we will pay very heavily for it in the long term) then the least the CAA could do is help a little!

Sunday rant over!

Back to the main thread, take your time and learn all the info. Not all of it is needed but its all quite interesting!

Good luck!

agent.oen
23rd Nov 2008, 11:06
Good to see this thread filling up with some helpful info!

@DaveD - this is also my tactic when going through the question bank. After the first time I go through the questions, I see which ones I got wrong or was unsure of the answer, mark them and do just those. Saves me a lot of time this way. If I have some extra time then I'll do the whole question bank again.

@Smith - I understand your point of view, but I can say I don't need to worry about my future as it's ... well ... already set ;)

smith
23rd Nov 2008, 11:06
I wouldn't mind an extension at the moment, do you think the CAA would budge if I sent them agrovelling letter?

Frankly Mr Shankly
23rd Nov 2008, 14:30
Not very PC but it's how I was taught:-

Some Terrier Dogs Go For Gay Men.

Sink Rate
Terrain terrain.
Dont sink.
Too low GEAR
Too low FLAPS
Glideslope, glideslope.
Minimums, minimums.

Apologies for the un-pc-ness of it, don't shoot the messenger.

riseagainst
23rd Nov 2008, 22:03
Katabatic Winds/Anabatic wind.
Go Down on Kate,Up on Ana.

Nashers
24th Nov 2008, 03:48
i thought it was "true virgins make dull company".

if you dont like that, then use "cadburys dairy milk very tasty". just remember its the other way around from the first one.

i have one for NDB tracking but not going to put it up as a lil bit too rude. if you realy want to know pm me.

Tex®
24th Nov 2008, 08:35
Good therad...I don't have any particular advice to give. As I read as a comment on one of the many question banks database present on the net, the best person to get through all the 14 ATPL exams with no hassle at all would be someone like Raymond aka RAIN MAN (in the Berry Levinson's movie)... in the same way he won thousands of bucks in Vegas, playing Blackjack, counting cards...He would not actually be the best person to fit in a cockpit though...:8
I criticize very much the way ATPL study path is structurized. Unfortunately for all of us in the ATPL database exceptions are many more than strictly logical answers. In my view memorization lead nowhere as you're gonna loose all the info in less than 2 months after your exams. But unfortunately this is the way it has to be done. So we find ourselelves here to share memorization tecniques...Sad. :ugh:

CY333
24th Nov 2008, 09:49
Cadboury Dairy Milk is Very Tasty
Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True