PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Flight Opportunities with a CPL

Okavango
21st Nov 2008, 11:27
Hi. I just wondered what opportunities there might be for Pleasure Flights with a CPL (no IR)? Are there any particular hotspots in the UK and if not has anyone had any success elsewhere in the world?

Flaps up no lights
21st Nov 2008, 13:59
Hi Okavango,

I used to put up notices at my local gym, super markets, vets, sports centres, beauty salons/hair salons basically any where I could, offering pleasure flights by the hour, on average I was doing about 10 a month doesn't sound much but hours are hours. I did this in the Peterborough area a few years back so times might have changed..

Good luck safe flying:ok:

EK4457
21st Nov 2008, 22:17
Would have thought you'd need an AOC for that kind of work?

Fournier Boy
21st Nov 2008, 22:32
You do require an EU-OPS AOC now for that I'm afraid- if you are just a CPL. If however you hold a flying instructors rating - then you can of course still (for the moment) conduct "trial lessons" - but then you would need to be a registered flying school!

nice thought though....

portsharbourflyer
21st Nov 2008, 22:39
Pleasure flights do indeed need to be on an AOC, meaning you will need to do an OPC and a line check (yes this does mean an OPC and a line check in a 172) and complete fire, ditching and dangerous goods etc.

Flaps Up no Lights, if you were earning money from this you were certainly acting illegally, there is no way you could have supported an AOC expense on 10 hours a month. Even cost share rules do not permit you to advertise a flight.

There are two places operating Scenic flights on an AOC, Birnie Air Services Isle of Wight and Lands End Flying School. Obvioulsy may be one or two more, but due to the hassle and expense of running an AOC most places do run pleasure flights but under the guise of "trial lessons" (as pointed out above). So you really need to consider investing in an FI rating.

To get a scenic flight job with just a CPL will almost be more difficult than getting an airline job due to the limited number of operators around.

If you are prepared to travel then there may be jobs available in Africa on the Cessna 206.