PDA

View Full Version : Ad. telephone numbers vanish

Loose rivets
21st Nov 2008, 02:54
I offered to put my neighbor's motorcycle onto Cr@igslist today, but the result was rather odd. The photos of the monster and the text were fine, but soon he was on the phone saying that he couldn't see his phone number anywhere. I looked it up, and there they were...set into a gray area with a dial button to the left. A neat piece of software, but one that he couldn't see.

When he pressed refresh, it appeared, for one second.

Could it be that he has some protection blanking out this particular box?

He's on XP, and has only cursory knowledge of the system.

Big Dog - Bull Dog 2004 (http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/mcy/927544851.html)

Bushfiva
22nd Nov 2008, 02:12
Wild guess, he's got Skype and the skype browser widget doesn't like his browser?

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2008, 02:17
No, he's not a Skyper.

Odd, that one second thing. He says 'Refresh'. Wonder if that's F5 I'll ask.

Tarq57
22nd Nov 2008, 02:31
I'm viewing the page and the phone number in all its glory, IE7 or FF2.
See if you can find out what browser and version he's using. Would not be surprised if it's IE6, and maybe not rendering the page correctly.

Avtrician
22nd Nov 2008, 07:55
As Tarq57 said, but dont see any dialer button, using IE, FF, Seamonkey and Opera

Keef
22nd Nov 2008, 10:18
Looks straightforward from here. I see "Call Rick on 956... ...." in the text.

Must be some app he has on his machine that "grabs" telephone numbers.

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2008, 16:57
Phone number in the text. That's interesting, cos here it's in a posh button with an American flag that One can press. That's the point I suppose. If not in the US, posh button might not be there. But he's across the road, and the said button is only there for one second. It's not too important, but I'll probe a bit further out of curiosity.

I owe him a few favors, he tends to the cat's needs and mows me lawns while I'm home. The problems with that is, One is not really...not at all up to speed with modern OSs. Might bite off more than I can chew. Still, give it a go.

Bushfiva
23rd Nov 2008, 00:38
cos here it's in a posh button with an American flag that One can press

You have Skype or a similar product installed on your machine, methinks.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2008, 03:11
Yes I have. Are you saying that it's interacting with Craigslist and puts that into the add?

But...I don't uses Skype to landlines or any paid service.

Proof of the pudding would be to put Skype on pal's computer and see what happens.

Bushfiva
23rd Nov 2008, 05:57
Are you saying that it's interacting with Craigslist

Yes. Skype installs a browser helper that intercepts anything it perceives as a phone number, making the phone number a clickable thing. So you're not seeing a clever Craigslist thing, you're seeing an annoying Skype thing.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2008, 06:24
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs:O

Which would be odd in this bungalow. Wonder how that expression started.

I'll see if my pal is up for Skyping.

Thanks LR

Bushfiva
23rd Nov 2008, 06:56
I'll see if my pal is up for Skyping.

So you're wanting to make it easy for him to buy a bike he's trying to sell??