PDA

View Full Version : Staff travel vs. FOC Question

EngineOut
20th Nov 2008, 13:09
In the following scenario: If I have a Pri 11 FOC Y class ticket, and a bunch of staff have a Pri 26 J class; now if Y class is full, will the pri26 J class get boarded before the Pri 11 or will the Pri 11 be upgraded to J class first?

Thanks.:confused:

Betsy
20th Nov 2008, 13:28
In this case PRI11 will always be accepted first. Except they'll probably upgrade a full-fare pax to J instead of you. There'll always be a frequent flyer stuck in the back.

It may be different if you're at an outport and know the ground staff there very well.. you might be lucky.

SMOC
20th Nov 2008, 13:28
P11 should always get on before P26, a P26J will get on before P26Y and a P11J will get on before P11Y

20th Nov 2008, 13:29
all F/J class tkt holders regardless revenue or ID will get to board the plane first before the EY paxs. But when it comes to accepting an ID pax during a critical flight load, PRI 11 will have a higher chance of being accepted, and if lucky, even get an upgrade to J class too! it's always safer to fly on ID00/PRI11 when flight is full.

EngineOut
20th Nov 2008, 14:32
thanks guys:ok:

jed_thrust
20th Nov 2008, 21:28
The only possible time a Pri26 will board before a Pri 11 is when there are no more seats left (at all) and the Pri 26 is holding a jump seat allocation.

In this case they will (should!) take the jump seater and leave the FOC behind.

I know a few FOC travellers who also take a js backup, but they need to make that decision quite early, otherwise BN will be on their case for not cancelling the FOC booking early enough.

EngineOut
20th Nov 2008, 22:07
if you are only waitlisted on Pri11, and you have JS, can you not board that way?

jed_thrust
21st Nov 2008, 03:27
No, the check-in people (and I use that term loosely) will ask you to declare which ticket you wish to use, ie you won't be able to have it both ways.

But I see your point about a waitlisted FOC.

ACMS
21st Nov 2008, 03:52
Every time I register at the HKIA sby desk with a J class ticket (with J class nearly full but F class empty) they always ask "will you accept Y class"

Shouldn't they ask "will you accept an upgrade to F class" ????

Do any of you guys/girls say "no, I will not accept Y class"?

What happened?

badairsucker
21st Nov 2008, 06:09
ACMS,

I always decline Y class. Even if I have to go back home and try again. NEVER Y class.

The company should try and upgrade us but I have never had the pleasure from them yet.:=

Humber10
21st Nov 2008, 10:05
9 times out of 10, if they ask if you will downgrade, it is because someone else with a lower priority wont downgrade or the travel desk are trying to upgrade another passenger (non CX) with a lower priority than you...
A friend of mine had this, when cx were trying to upgrade a bunch of travel agents. They were only able to upgrade the agents when they upgraded the staff member to first..... and so that's what happend.

If it gets to the stage where you are comparing others priority, then maybe you should be picking your days of travel better. I know that one may not be able to do so over busy periods, but there is always the crew seat....:}

BalusKaptan
21st Nov 2008, 16:30
Yes, refused Y class and ....guess what... J class has finally become avaliable at the very last minute.

NEVER accept Y class!!

CMOTDibler
23rd Nov 2008, 10:25
Also be careful when they recommend that you use the laptop computer at the staff desk in HK. By using that computer to confirm your listing you are acknowledging that you will accept a lower class. So don't use it!

They talk up using it and if you are flying Y anyway it doesn't matter, but if want J and nothing else don't use it.

TruBlu351
28th Nov 2008, 23:51
They won't let you list on the JS when trying to use an FOC ticket.....as mentioned you need to go for one or the other......so have a few normal tickets up your sleeve too.

Whilst we're on the ticket topic.......just found out the hard way that I couldn't use my ID90 ZED tickets on Singapore Airlines.....need ID75.

404 Titan
29th Nov 2008, 00:10
TruBlu351

I used an expiring FOC to go on leave a few months ago and also had J1 out of HK. I had no problems using it and ended up having to sit in J1 as the flights to Aus were chockers. I've also used ID90 on SIA in the past as well.

TruBlu351
29th Nov 2008, 00:28
TruBlu351

I used an expiring FOC to go on leave a few months ago and also had J1 out of HK. I had no problems using it and ended up having to sit in J1 as the flights to Aus were chockers. I've also used ID90 on SIA in the past as well.

Well there you go then! I got jipped :ok:

I checked in OK using an FOC for CS and wife had JS, but got barrelled up at the gate saying we can't get on unless we swap for an ID tickets :ugh: Lucky I had a bag of tricks.

I bought QF ID90 ZED tickets, which I thought I could use on SIA....but they wouldn't accept them...said I needed ID75?? Luckily a family of 4 couldn't pay their Bali departure tax so I got on the QF flight :E

404 Titan
29th Nov 2008, 01:03
TruBlu351

Did you ask where in the staff travel policy one can’t access the jump seats on an FOC? If you didn’t get an acceptable answer, don’t argue with them, take their name and take it up with the company and the AOA as soon as you can.

Regarding your problem with SIA, it was quite a few years ago that I travelled on SIA and while I’m sure I used an ID90 ticket, I note now they are a non ZED carrier and only accept ID75 SUBLO. By your own account you were holding a One World ticket. One world ID90 tickets will not be accepted by non ZED carriers. If you held a non ZED ID75 ticket ticketed to SIA you wouldn’t have had a problem. It’s all available in the Staff Travel part of IntraCX.

Humber10
29th Nov 2008, 03:28
on the subject on different airlines, is it possible to have an ID ticket endorsed to use on several airlines.... say a CX ID 90 to LHR, endorsed to use with QF, BA, VS and NZ?

TruBlu351
29th Nov 2008, 04:22
Thanks Titian.

Humber, that's the idea behind ZED tickets (Zonal Employee Discounts). You have to pay for them up front though, unlike the normal staff travel tickets.

http://www.flyzed.com

ZED Travel - Discount airline tickets and Interline discount travel (http://www.gozed.com)

You purchase them for say one airline, eg QF, but it also states on the ticket that it can be used with all ZED carriers. There are certain rules and some limitations that go along with them, but saves you having to purchase tickets for each airline.

Humber10
29th Nov 2008, 05:07
cheers, I didnt have the link for zed fares....

Glass Half Empty
30th Nov 2008, 13:35
Does it state anywhere in CX policy that if you are holding a Y CX ID90 ticket and the Y section is full that you will be upgraded to J ahead of other Y pax?? I presume the same applies from J to F.

CMOTDibler
1st Dec 2008, 03:39
No it doesn't and no you won't be. They will upgrade commercially preferred passengers ahead of you. Specifically forced upgrades to clear ticket oversales take precedence over sub-load passengers. I just confirmed this with CX having had a staff travel disagreement with the check in staff.

No point in hoping you'll only be disappointed.