PDA

View Full Version : Fake Qantas engineer offered false references

Sunfish
20th Nov 2008, 04:18
From the ABC:

A Sydney court has heard a man who pleaded guilty to posing as a Qantas engineer provided fake references during sentencing.

Timothy McCormack, 27, has appeared in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court for sentencing on 42 charges of using fake documentation to dupe Qantas into hiring him.

The court heard McCormack not only lied to Qantas, but also produced false references in his own defence.

Fake Qantas engineer offered false references - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/20/2425126.htm?section=justin)

McCormack's lawyer won an adjournment until next month to allow experts to investigate whether his client is a pathological liar.

And the obvious comment is:.................................

...............MANAGEMENT MATERIAL!

blackd
20th Nov 2008, 07:30
Sentance him to work in H5 at AVV: they need an experienced man down there! :E

Bootstrap1
20th Nov 2008, 07:54
Wow this bloke is one sharp dude. I can see him as CEO

Aussie
20th Nov 2008, 09:58
Yeah perhaps they should have offered him the gig instead of Alan Joyce!

airsupport
21st Nov 2008, 00:47
McCormack's lawyer won an adjournment until next month to allow experts to investigate whether his client is a pathological liar.

I don't think there is much doubt surely. :rolleyes:

Lodown
21st Nov 2008, 02:02
What are the charges? I can imagine some type of fraud, theft by misrepresentaton, but does anyone have the specifics? And has Qantas changed its hiring practices to avoid this occurring in the future?

Capt Wally
21st Nov 2008, 22:08
And has Qantas changed its hiring practices to avoid this occurring in the future? Yesterday 12:47

....yeah sack the HR Dep & get real people to hire real people!:bored:

CW

Bumpfoh
24th Nov 2008, 11:36
....yeah sack the HR Dep & get real people to hire real people

You're on to something there Wally.

Never a truer word spoken in jest, but particularly apt in relation to QF HR!:ugh:

thosecotos
25th Nov 2008, 00:36
His defence team is clever if it was their idea to create the bogus references. They now have avenue to claim it's a sickness and get him off with just having counselling or the like... or punish him with reinstatement:eek:

Lodown
25th Nov 2008, 01:06
Maybe I should try to use a fake credit card number next time I pay for a QF flight and see if Qantas pick it up.

blackd
17th Dec 2008, 06:56
Just found this update on Flight Global.com (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/12/17/320233/former-qantas-engineer-jailed-for-faking-credentials.html):

Former Qantas engineer jailed for faking credentials
By Nicholas Ionides

A former Qantas Airways maintenance employee has been sentenced to more than three years in prison for carrying out work on aircraft without being properly qualified.

Timothy McCormack was today sentenced to three years and five months in prison by a judge in Sydney. According to reports from the courthouse he will not be eligible for parole for at least two years.

McCormack, 27, had earlier pled guilty to several dozen charges, including performing unauthorised maintenance work on aircraft, forging a licence and falsifying Civil Aviation Safety Authority exam results.

In addition, he was found to have produced fake character references to the court after making his guilty plea in an attempt to secure a lighter sentence.

McCormack was originally employed by Qantas in 2004 as a junior aircraft maintenance engineer but in 2006 he produced fake documents to his superiors that led to his promotion to licensed aircraft maintenance engineer.

As a supervisor this allowed him to oversee and sign off on maintenance work on Qantas' Boeing 747-400s. His fake credentials were not discovered until mid-2007.

At last someone took this clown out of the system for a long time!

employes perspective
17th Dec 2008, 10:11
he didn't get long enough,he should of been made an example of :eek:

Hardworker
17th Dec 2008, 20:22
The surprising thing is the Manager who was responsible for the area SIT Sydney was rewarded with a promotion for not taking no action even when advised by the girls in Licencing that his qualifications were fake....
Good to see management still protecting themselves, incompetent and with no management training or skills...

Water Wings
17th Dec 2008, 22:10
Reference's are just as useful when employing someone as Phrenology or Astrology! They all have a similar chance of finding a good employee ;)

UPPERLOBE
17th Dec 2008, 22:14
Firstly, I know the guy involved.
Secondly, I hold him responsible and in no way condone or endorse his actions.

But, once you remove the checks & balances such as a Manager who is also a LAME who knows the ropes, his job and his people and replace him with a person who has never been involved in such a complex operation and who has no knowledge of the legal requirements pertaining to aircraft certification let alone the day to day operation and one who was placed there purely to bone the station, you have created the environment for this sort of scam and in this case this individual who has been shown to be very persuasive jumped right into it.

No filter means the junk goes straight through.

I personally don't know how he pulled it off, most engineers know who's done what training and what licences each other is entitled to hold, total bunch of Dorries which is normally a good thing in this situation.

StallBoy
18th Dec 2008, 23:44
Is being a Pathologial Liar against the law in Australia:eek:. Could the GOOD Judge please point it out to the police forces of the country and the statute it comes under:=.
This chap needs to be made a Pilot or even the CEO :Dand I am sure he could come up with the relevant qualifications in writing:ok:???? In Australia it's called INITIATIVE isn't it, fail as many times as you like and we will promote you to your level of competentcy. Where does a journalist get the experience to run an airline:ugh::ugh:????

kiwi engineer12
19th Dec 2008, 01:57
So was it only his CASA licence that he forged? Did he sit the 747 type course and produce a legit SOE or whatever was required?
Also, was he line/hangar based?

another superlame
19th Dec 2008, 02:04
UPPERLOBE I knew him as well and I always thought he was a bit different. Why was it that every snork including the ex-Ansett guys still had to go through the 3 monthly section moves but this guy managed to swindle his way with his leading hand and ex-manager that he could stay at SIT indefinitely.
Which would make one ask how did he fill in a 747-400 SOE with sufficient scope to be granted a licence. Any other SIT engineer needing SOE used to swap into the hangars but not this guy.
It reeks of a cover up and incompetence from a high level.

But at the end of the day this guy was and is a bottom dweller in my opinion.

Hopefully this will floow with him where ever he goes. We don't need him in this industry.

Car salesman or real estate agent would be better suitrd to his personality

UPPERLOBE
19th Dec 2008, 21:10
another superlame, not every 4th year snork was rotated out of the S.I.T, not too many snorks around at that time and they were kept there to keep the headcount somewhere near where it was supposed to be. Most came out of their time there because they had asked for it to be their final section.

Not sure which manager you are referring to and if it is the one I think you mean I doubt it, granite coated marshmallow but not stupid. Also I know the L/H you are referring to very well and I can't agree with your reading of the situation.

SOE? You don't necessarily have to go to the hangars for stint, more than one way to skin that cat. A lot of guy's used to go over when the jobs they wanted were on or they'd look for overnight 'A' chk's and talk to the OSIP planners etc.

Yep, he is of the lowest order and deserves what he got, let that be a lesson to any other would be's out there. The truth will always come out.

You career choices for him seem fine to me, this guy would be able to sell anything, might have some strong competition at his new abode, either that or he will learn bigger and better tricks.