PDA

View Full Version : Transceiver recommendations

captcrispy
20th Nov 2008, 04:10
Hi all

I know this has been answered in the past but I'm looking for up to date recommendations on newer models.

I want it to listen in to air traffic and maybe other radio stations wherever I may be (bus, train, UK, Europe, etc) so it must take a small headset for listening whilst on the train for example.

I also want it as a back-up in the cockpit in the future so I would expect it needs to take standard headphones (eg Dave Clark, etc).

I want something good quality with enough useful features that will last a few years so I don't mind paying a bit extra if its worth it.

I've also read that VOR functions are common but not very useful so if a an otherwise good transceiver has one I can just ignore it!

Can anyone offer any suggestions please.

Thanks.

Mark.

Flying Squid
20th Nov 2008, 16:01
Icom do 2 pretyt good tranceivers. One which is just a standard job and is about £180 and its bigger brother which is the same but can also do VOR tracking I think which is around £260. Transair do them, as do Pooleys. Have a look around. Icom do a standard headset jack to go with it aswell.

Shunter
20th Nov 2008, 17:37
If you go for the Icom A6, buy the pro-pack. It comes with the rechargeable lithium battery, headset adapter etc... Some say they've had issues with the headset adapter, but mine causes no problems. Nice bit of kit, all in all. Note that it's only airband, so no radio stations etc..

captcrispy
20th Nov 2008, 19:00
Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!

I've heard good things about the ICOM range apart from various issues with headsets, if I go this route I would have to make sure the supplier would be happy to refund or exchange if there are problems.

Another one that's been mentioned a few times is the Vertex 300.

I've heard good and bad about several brands so at the moment I'm looking for as much feedback as possible to base a purchase on.

Thanks all.

Mark.

Fitter2
21st Nov 2008, 07:14
The Yaesu Vertex VXA300 is rugged, reliable, semi waterproof and comes as standard with a good rechargeable battery and charger, signifcantly cheaper than the equivalent ICOM. It seems to work with all headsets, unlike the ICOM A6/A24.:ok:

The only minor niggle is that to make the stub antenna waterproof it screws in, and so needs an optional extra adapter to attach an external BNC antenna cable.

If you visit the Sport Aviation show at NEC next weekend, you will probably find some for sale.

I assume you have a radio licence, and so will be able to use a transceiver legally.:)

captcrispy
21st Nov 2008, 21:16
Any idea why my message was moved to the spotters area?

I am a student pilot so I thought I posted to the correct area.

Anyway, I don't have my licence yet but I am studying as much as I can.

I just want a good transceiver for listening on when I'm on the ground (for practice while I'm learning and then just for fun later).

Then when I'm qualified as a pilot (PPL for now) I want it as a back up in the cockpit in case of radio failure.

The Vertex is definately getting more votes at the moment.

Is the adapter easy to get and what is a BNC antenna?

Thanks.

Mark.

D120A
21st Nov 2008, 23:10
Mark,

Good idea, getting a transceiver while you are still learning to fly. I got mine after I qualified, and my radio licence exam would have been much easier to pass (and my airborne radio calls much better) had I learned by listening to others in all sorts of flying and met. situations, rather than just studying the book.

:ok:

captcrispy
25th Nov 2008, 10:19
Hi all

Can anyone offer any more feedback or recommendations?

With my research so far it still seems like a choice between ICOM A6/A24 and the Vertex 300.

I've not heard of any major problems with the Vertex, and I heard that headset problems in the ICOM A6/A24 have been resolved in the more recent versions, can anyone confirm?

I'm keen to get one delivered in England in the next two weeks so if anyone can help me come to a decision it will be greatly appreciated. For example, if you were told you could have one for free which one would you choose and why?

Thanks.

Mark.