View Full Version : Stroke

IFPS man
18th Nov 2008, 14:29
Some advice/comment from the Forum Members:
Six months ago, I suffered from a cerebal stroke (affecting my balance). Although I am now "getting back to normal", I wonder what the likelyhood/possibility is of flying solo??
Also, would I be allowed to fly as a passenger in commercial aircraft (Flying in light aircraft below 9,000ft is permitted). Doctors/Consultants over here, and in France, seem reluctant to give me the go-ahead, and suggest that it is up to the airlines, that one wishes to fly with...
Thanks

C172 Hawk XP
18th Nov 2008, 14:57
would I be allowed to fly as a passenger in commercial aircraft ?(Flying in light aircraft below 9,000ft is permitted)

Yes. The "cabin altitude" on most commercial flights is 7000 to 8000 feet.

I wonder what the likelihood/possibility is of flying solo?

Sorry, but probably None. High risk of recurrence.

SIBUK
27th Nov 2008, 21:12
Hi IFPS man! I am sorry I did not see your post until now.

Firstly, please let me say this. I always feel nervous about doing posts like this because I worry that I might give false hope. So I must tell you now that your chances of getting your medical are by no means guaranteed; but you DO have a chance, so its up to you if you want to go for it or not.

I am living proof that you can have a stroke and then get a class 1 medical that lets you fly solo. I have been in your exact situation and I now hold an FAA class 1 medical - although I must now send yearly MRI angiograms along with my medical renewal to keep them happy. Please have a read of my story here:

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/243733-stroke-class-1-caa.html

Firstly let me tell you that if you had an 'Hemorrhagic' stroke you will NOT get a medical. However if you had an Ischemic stroke then you have a chance but it basically comes down to this; You have to try and find out what the cause of your stroke was. This is critical!!! then do one of 2 things:

Prove that the stroke was a 1-off and that its not going to happen again (as I did)
Have surgery to fix the cause of your stroke and then prove that it was successful and that you are now at no higher risk of having a stroke than anyone else.

When you go to the hospital to see the neurologist make sure you tell them you are a pilot and explain how vitally important it is to find out what the cause of your stroke was because of your medical. They will, of course, try to find out what caused it anyway, but in my case in addition to what they normally do they sent me for a '1 year later' mri scan and helped me out by writing reports that I could send to the FAA and stuff :) Make sure you get copies of ALL reports and all MR scans and anything else.

You must also show that your balance is back to normal and that you have no other lasting effects that will adversly affect your handling of an aircraft. Get a neurologists report to prove this. This is dead simple (as long as you are 'back to normal'). Took about 30 mins as the neurologist made me walk along a line and touch my nose with my eyes closed and tested my reflexes and stuff. They probably will do this with you anyway (just as a matter of routine). Get a copy of the report!

Once you have all your reports and scans and xrays and whatever else, keep the originals and do a copy of everything and take them with you to your medical. The doc will send it all off and then you have to play the horrible horrible waiting game :sad: Be prepared for them to write back requesting further information. Also, be aware that (as far as the FAA is concerned anyway) you will have a time limit with which you supply them with that information. If you dont give them the info in time then they will close your case and you will be refused your medical. You can then re-open your case by sending them the information and they will carry on with your case, but you will then have a note on your permenent record stating that you were once denied a medical for 'failure to submit' (requested info). You can request an extension in order to prevent this.

At the end of the day, remember this: if you can prove that you are at no further risk of another stroke then they will give you your medical. Why would they not? :) Your task it to prove it!!!

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know how it goes! Feel free to ask me any further questions.