PDA

View Full Version : BA A380 crew rest

skygirl4724
18th Nov 2008, 11:20
?? any news on it yet wil it be for upto 8 crew at a time

Domestos
18th Nov 2008, 13:32
Hey there skygirl4724...just thought you guys at BA might like to know that our A380 has an underfloor crew rest facility and it holds 12 F/A at any one time. Perhaps you guys should be putting in suggestions for that amount too. I'm not sure what crew complement BA will have...however...with QF, we have 22 crew....1x CSM (FSD) + 1x CSS (supervisor) + 11x P/J Class FA + 9x Y Class FA.

Domestos
18th Nov 2008, 13:38
Just curious....will the crew who will be operating your A380 be employed by BA itself? The crew who currently work on the QF A380 are actually employees of a labour provider subsidiary that Qantas has established...much like a B-Scale group. These employees...whilst working under the same umbrella work agreement as Qantas Airlines employees are actually not employed by Qantas directly. They wear the same uniform and are entitled to staff travel etc but are not direct employees of Qantas.

Any ideas what the arrangement at British Airways will be? Will it be like in the past where you guys had a division who worked exclusively on the Concorde?

speedmarque
18th Nov 2008, 13:56
Concorde crew were regular LHR Shorthaul crew who flew SSC, 757 and 767. No seperate division although you had to apply to work on it.

wobble2plank
18th Nov 2008, 14:34
The crew who currently work on the QF A380 are actually employees of a labour provider subsidiary that Qantas has established...much like a B-Scale group. These employees...whilst working under the same umbrella work agreement as Qantas Airlines employees are actually not employed by Qantas directly. They wear the same uniform and are entitled to staff travel etc but are not direct employees of Qantas.

hmmm, seen this one somewhere before? Project Columbus anyone?

Seems BA have not only taken the Jetstar chapter from the QANTAS book!

:{

frontcheck
18th Nov 2008, 14:48
It is not just the crew that make BA what it is, have you ever considered how many other staff and departments are actually involved before the passengers actually get on board?

wobble2plank
18th Nov 2008, 15:41
Whilst I am not management nor do I have any axe to grind with ANY department within BA (with the possible exception of wasteful managerial types who fulfill no positive role within the company) I cannot fail to see that the company will come gunning for cabin crew scheduling.

The current system dates back to the 70's and is not conducive to good manpower usage. Fixed links, basic pay plus flat allowances and possibly an increase in the base pay package. Say goodbye to CAT payments, lunch and dinner payments, lateness credits and destination credit etv. etc. etc.

Watch this space!

747-436
18th Nov 2008, 16:53
Whilst I am not management nor do I have any axe to grind with ANY department within BA (with the possible exception of wasteful managerial types who fulfill no positive role within the company) I cannot fail to see that the company will come gunning for cabin crew scheduling

I think you are correct there. The leadership have spoken of top to bottom changes in BA and I think that all departments are in the firing line for reducing costs!

Back to the topic I am sure that the A380 will be crewed by mainline crew, whatever that looks like in 4 years time!

apaddyinuk
21st Nov 2008, 17:15
Alas I have to agree with you too.

The next few months will prove to be a tricky one for us all!