PDA

View Full Version : CAAC ATPL Advice

Cretan Airbus
18th Nov 2008, 03:00
A little advice for the CAAC ATPL:

I thought I would post this while the test is still fresh in my mind. There has been much discussion as to how to prepare for this test, and there are probably as many answers are there are people. Having come from the U.S. and scoring in the upper 90's on the written tests there, this one was a bit of a shocker. With moderate preparation, mostly on the ride over the Pacific, I managed to score in the 80's, really out of sheer dumb luck. You'll read horror stories on the internet of 25% pass rates, but this is greatly exzagerated like most things on the internet. Definitely over half of those in my testing group passed, although I don't know as I didn't speak to all of them. I believe that scores will gradually get higher over time as more information about the test is made available.

I studied the question guide that has been circulating for the most part, but discovered two things about it: Over half of the questions on my ATPL test were not in it, and many of them have the wrong answers on them. Probably the best way to prepare would be to dedicate most of your time to the Theory Course that has been floated around (I'll try to find a link), and maybe use an FAA ATP test guide for the rest of the time. That way, you don't get any negative learning, and you can carry that accurate knowledge base with you when you start flying the line here.

When you go for your test, bring your passport and two 33x48 mm photos with you. You can't bring any flight computers or calculators with you, but there is a built-in calculator on the testing computer. You will be given a short briefing by the testing administrator before going in to take the test. You have 2.5 hours (150 minutes) to complete the test, which consists of 100 questions, and a 70% is the minimum to pass. The administrator will tell you in the briefing that it will only take you an hour, but I suspect he is only trying to go home early. Take all 150 minutes to go through and double check your answers, as I lost a few points by not reading things twice. It is worth the few extra minutes to double check, versus waiting the required 30 days to retake the test again if you do not pass.

I do not think any less of those who don't pass, as I've seen some super sharp folks not pass. It's just the way things are here, just like seeing very healthy folks fail the medical, or good sticks not making it past an interview or conversion checkride. It's China, and things are a bit different here. Just approach the whole thing as an inexpensive vacation, and do your best when asked to perform.

In short, don't blow off this test, but don't kill yourself studying for it either.

Best of Luck -

Cretan

KAG
18th Nov 2008, 03:46
All the subjects and knowledge involved in the test are from the book: " The aviation theory course for airline transport pilot" written by the CAAC.

If you want to understand what they are really asking you instead of memorizing answers, then read and study it. 320 pages. It is better to read it well in advance I guess. It will give you a good understanding of the regulation differences. Good luck.