PDA

View Full Version : 2 QF747's Towed into each other at YMAV

dkaarma
18th Nov 2008, 02:30
From The Herald Sun
Qantas jets in on-ground collision at Avalon Airport | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24669577-661,00.html)

A QANTAS 747 involved in the Manila mid-air explosion has crashed into another jumbo while being towed at Avalon Airport.

The planes were being towed at the carrier’s Australian heavy maintenance base at Avalon Airport when they crashed into each other about 9.30am this morning.

The jet involved in the Manila emergency in July had been close to being ready to fly again.

hmmm. QANTAS having another experience...

Hopefully it's only superficial damage, It's so sad to see these Queens of the skies limping around.

fix767
18th Nov 2008, 03:52
Interesting... when you damage a plane, Qantas spokesman David Cox said workers involved in the incident had been stood down “pending a full investigation”. . When you sell of the company Dixon said the $A11 billion ($US9 billion) deal from the consortium Airline Partners Australia (APA) had been "clouded by emotion", as board members and management stood to make huge personal gains."The real Achilles' heel was that it got very, very emotional -- principally because I and the senior management team were going to earn tens of millions of dollars as part of it. Go figure.

Skystar320
18th Nov 2008, 04:10
fix767 the post is about QF747's not about the Qantas selling. Dont turn it into a bashing

fix767
18th Nov 2008, 04:45
Its no bashing... just seems odd why when an accident occurs, people get stood down and a full investigation occurs, yet, when an intentional act of delibrate greed occurs, its ok. I feel for the ground staff.

RedTBar
18th Nov 2008, 05:10
skystar320,
There is nothing wrong with investigations surrounding incidents.
I think what fix767 is trying to say is that while the actions of the workers at Avalon involved in the incident are being examined who examines the actions of the board and upper management.
This difference might be a bit too subtle for you.

Spotted Reptile
18th Nov 2008, 05:13
I don't feel sorry for the groundies assuming it was their fault. It looks like one of the a/c has turned too wide and then clipped the nose of the other with its wingtip. Bad driving I guess. Unbelievably bad luck for the airline.

OJK just returned from Manila last week, all repairs done, just needed some final fitout of the cabin. Being stuck in Manila for 3 months meant a lot of mould started to appear so they basically replaced all the fabric in the cabin.

Interesting item of note: hundres of plastic bags of peanuts exploded when the a/c decompressed back in July. Must have made quite a mess.

Skystar320
18th Nov 2008, 05:16
There is nothing wrong with investigations surrounding incidents.

I know, what I am trying to say its got nothing to do with the failed Qantas purchase.

Shazz-zaam
18th Nov 2008, 05:34
Does anyone have any photographs of the incident?
I just want to add it to my collection.:ok:

fix767
18th Nov 2008, 05:36
RedTBar, that's exactly what i was trying to say. I'm not looking for arguments, nor trying to bring up about the failed bid, lets be fair and investigate the guilty. Thats all.

another superlame
18th Nov 2008, 05:41
At the end of the day it all comes down to a failure of company policy and procedures.
QF management is known for hiding behind the P & P manual, so somewhere along the line today the processes management have put in place and and incident has happened.

The unfortunate guys on the floor might get a huge shafting for following the rules that their management have told them to follow.

TWT
18th Nov 2008, 05:58
Video - Qantas planes collide at Avalon - Sydney Morning Herald (http://media.smh.com.au/?rid=43828)

Walder
18th Nov 2008, 06:09
I don't feel sorry for the groundies assuming it was their fault. It looks like one of the a/c has turned too wide and then clipped the nose of the other with its wingtip. Bad driving I guess.

I do feel sorry for the ground staff unless it is proved they did it with purpose!
Of course an investigation is required.
An investigation will probably answer many questions i.e. was the procedures good enough, were they followed, was it the right equipment used and was it designed probably for the work, did the surface marking play a role, or was it pure reckless handling by one individual person.
We don’t know, and that is why an investigation is required to find the “hole in the cheese”.

Walder

RedTBar
18th Nov 2008, 06:22
Skystar320,Yep I knew the difference was too subtle for you.

workers involved in the incident had been stood down “pending a full investigation”
Tell me Skystar320,when was the last time a board member was stood down over an incident while it was being investigated?

FCS Explorer
18th Nov 2008, 07:40
one got the radom missings all the way to the pressure bulk and the other looks like a shark took a bite into the LE next to the wingtip device.... no flying for these two for some time:eek:

Sunstar320
18th Nov 2008, 07:52
Mabye they should just pair up OJK with EBU and both die together??

etrang
18th Nov 2008, 08:16
lets be fair and investigate the guilty

In order to be fair, i think its better to have the investigation first, then decide the guilt or otherwise.

Spotted Reptile
18th Nov 2008, 08:23
I do feel sorry for the ground staff unless it is proved they did it with purpose!
Of course an investigation is required.

Whoa there. If they did it on purpose? So if it was accidental, then the poor guys, jeez bad luck there mate you just put 2 jumbos out of commission, but it's okay because you didn't mean it?

Surely that's not what you meant!

capt.cynical
18th Nov 2008, 08:47
The Bimbo S.S. reading the Ch. 10 news (Syd tonight) described it as a Qantas CHRASH.:ugh: Media who'd feed them.:yuk: