PDA

View Full Version : 2 month rosters?

EngineOut
16th Nov 2008, 11:17
Is there any history of, or reason why we can't get a 2 month roster or at least be 1.5 -2 months in advance so we can plan our life more then 2 weeks in advance. I know many other airlines do it.

AD POSSE AD ESSE
16th Nov 2008, 11:33
Mate...

Cathay doesn't even know what its doing next week...let alone in 2 months time...:eek:

Humber10
16th Nov 2008, 13:31
The only reason I can think of is that they are short of crew or just dont want to....

joebanana
16th Nov 2008, 13:33
Dragonair freighters had 6 week rosters until the rostering department was subsumed into CX a couple of months ago. Whilst they wouldn't guarantee the actual duties would remain the same into the next month, G days were respected.

CXChildLabour
16th Nov 2008, 15:28
What do you mean planning your life 2 weeks ahead??? As a CX pilot, your life should only consist of flying for CX... That's why it's expected that you work on your G days, who needs days off when you're a CX pilot???

mephisto88
16th Nov 2008, 23:32
Does anyone really think that its a coincidence, that with the AOA changing its stance from meek and mild to a more befitting stance of recent , that the token first 3 days of the Jan roster have been unceremoniously withdrawn.
Yes I saw the pathetic excuse given, but seriously, just how hard is it to let people know what they are doing on Jan 1st.
If I didn't know better, it would feel like the grown ups are sending us to the naughty corner.
Starting to feel that irritating 'nibbled to death by ducks' feeling again.

Arfur Dent
17th Nov 2008, 03:13
It's quite outrageous that we can be given 2 weeks leave starting in the middle of the month (or later) and have no idea what is happening after it finishes (because that date comes in following month) until the next roster comes out. Archaic at best and pure bloody mindedness at worse. Now you can't even tell your family whether or not you can attend a NY celebration until after the 15th December! Who's brilliant idea was that!

ALPHA FLOOR
18th Nov 2008, 00:46
Blame KJP, even if it wasnt his work he is still a tosser of note.

The Kook
18th Nov 2008, 01:26
"I know many other airlines do it"

Which ones?

2 weeks is pretty standard

EngineOut
18th Nov 2008, 01:49
I know QF get a 2 month roster for a fact, and have heard 3rd hand of others

Goonybird
18th Nov 2008, 01:54
Two weeks or less is standard, but so are Bid lines. This gives people the ability to exercise some control over their roster, thus they "know" what they are doing before the roster comes out. We'll never see a bid line or two month rosters, it's simply to inflexible for CX.
In previous years when the company rostered the first few day of January they were advisory only and subject to change. I've personally experienced a change of these days and it's more frustrating than not knowing. Besides you can still plan a New Years activity, you might just have to curtail your boozing if you have to work on Jan 1.

EngineOut
18th Nov 2008, 02:38
Without doubt in the next RPs CX will want to increase flexibility with new FTLs from their side. We should be demanding a bit more notice for our life in return.

HKAOA, are you listening?