PDA

View Full Version : Feeding The Five Thousand

Magic Buff
14th Nov 2008, 16:17
I would like to take the chance to cogratulate and thank Gary Kasper and his family (one of the ramp lads) at Liverpool Airport, who have for some years past now been providing all the airside staff with a nice bite to eat, he set up a little greasy spoon cafe on the ramp, providing basic hot food and drink to all the lads and lasses to take out or eat in, in nice surroundings at a good cheap rate that everyone can affoard, of course it has been a great succcess story and Garry and his family deserve it for all their hard work. Managers have their meetings there, staff intermingle and can chill out when they are on a break and nobody is being ripped off, no need to go landside, well done!!

Why oh why is there no such facility at MAN, the staff have to go landside to get a bite, there is no choice, and they have to pay through the nose, a small family business has acheived what an airport authority cant or wont.
Any chance!!

King Chav
14th Nov 2008, 19:32
I remember at LHR T3 airside there was a cracking little "chuck wagon" which was great for that early morning bacon butty.

Unfortunately they got greedy and started selling duty free fags nicked off aircraft ... got caught and went down!

Shame .... they made £250,000 profit a year :eek:

merlinxx
14th Nov 2008, 20:07
Way back in the 60's we had our 'Little Eddies' @ LGW which grew to 'Big Eddies' best damn canteen ever, the guys there (all Italian) worked their buts off hrs 24. Best double egg & chips @ 00 darkness on a Jan night ever:ok: (O and a glass of IPA if you were favoured :E)

42psi
14th Nov 2008, 20:36
Ahhhh .. the LHR T3 chuck wagon(s) ...... there were two around when I was there ... Pan-Am & Air Canada as I recall ... well at least that's what we called them!

Breakfast duties each early shift involved someone heading off in the car with a long list :ok:

As for EGCC ... I'm led to believe something might be happening in the new year:suspect:

Magic Buff
15th Nov 2008, 01:35
It is about time as well, will they make it easily accessible with decent hot food and drinks at a reasonable price or will they do what all these companies try and do and try to screw the last pennies out of staff who only get paid in washers as it is.

Little Blue
15th Nov 2008, 07:51
We used to have our own 'Greasy spoon' at EMA.
Jeez, grease? More like industrial oil !!! You'd break out in zits by just looking at one of the sausages !

King Chav
15th Nov 2008, 08:21
Ahhh yes, the "list" ..... I remember queing up amongst the big Air Canada ramp boys ... all was nice and happy, everyone looking forward to their double egg and chip butty, until ....... I produced the list from my pocket .... which was 20 bacon n eggs long.

So easy to make enemies!

boeingbus2002
15th Nov 2008, 15:13
T3 LHR now by stand 323 is the "builders cafe". Take away only for everyone else. Usual english fayre!