PDA

View Full Version : Flt/Eng license to Part 66 B1 license, how?

vee-tail-1
13th Nov 2008, 16:29
A query to those who might know.
I have been fixing & flying aeroplanes most of my life.
An RAF Halton apprenticeship, then 7 years line, & minor/major servicing on jets & pistons. 7years fighting the Russians as a Shackleton flight engineer. Joined BOAC/BA, did line maintenance on 707/VC10, then graduated as flight eng on B 707, followed by B 747. Company approvals to issue CRS, CRM, CFF. Flt/Eng license gave privileges to change/replace pretty well everything on the B707 B747. Am now retired and own a Robin ATL light aeroplane, which I keep on the French register. Under French rules I have a personalised type-specific maintenance programme which gives me full responsibility for the maintenance of my ATL. So since I retired from BA I have been carrying out ALL maintenance of this simple aeroplane up to and including 1000 hour cks & 6 year checks. The only items I am not permitted to do are engine & propeller overhauls, and anything complicated on avionics. Part M may clip my wings as regards the maintenance I can legally do, so my query is am I eligible for "Grandfather rights" for a part 66 B1 licence?

spannersatcx
13th Nov 2008, 17:32
The ELGD (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=777) at the CAA website tells you about protected rights on conversion, as you don't appear to have a BCAR/JAR oe EASA licence and not approved under A8-3/13 I would say none. Best ask the CAA though.

Rigga
13th Nov 2008, 18:54
A few years ago I found a line mechanic at Stansted with "Limited and Simple" approvals who had previously held full BAE 146 CRS approvals for another company.
I found that he could apply for and get (without exams) a basic CAT 'A' Licence, which he did eventually get, and is now using.

If you have PROOF of your previous career and all (or at least a few of the latest) old approval certs, dated prior to Sept 2001, you may be able to blast your way to at least a CAT A Licence that may help you to conduct more of your own owner/operator maintenance.

A list of typical tasks that an owner /operator can do is in the Acceptable Guidance Material (AGM) to EASA CR 2042/2003 Part M (Cant remember the paragraph reference or do a link from here)

Advice - If you live in France, and are fluent, you may be better off getting a French Licence! This will mean you can do all the 'Bumf' near your home and the french may be more lenient towards your situation.

Beware - If the Part M list is anything like the Part 66 CAT A Mechanics List it won't show anything that may be useful to you as a small aircraft mechanic!

Hope this helps
Rigga

vee-tail-1
13th Nov 2008, 20:25
Rigga / spannersatcx Thanks for the info. Yes unfortunately both the part M appendix VIII pilot/owner maintenance tasks, and the Cat A mechanics list are useless to me. Appendix VIII ignores completely any work on flying controls for instance, and the mechanics list is of very simple tasks on airliners.
Perhaps I am overeacting to part M, as the French interpretation of it may not be as restrictive as I fear. But the loss of privileges to issue CRS for safety critical work on my aircraft would be bad news.

khaledalmlah
13th Nov 2008, 21:47
Hello I am new in the forum, and I want to take B1licensefrom the Institute or academic in france-germany or any country would you help me. kindly regards

Engineer
14th Nov 2008, 00:23
vee-tail-1

The simple answer is no.

The fact that your aircraft is maintained under Part M MA302 (approved by the national authority) and MA803 entitles you to issue a CRS for limited maintenance allowed as defined in Part M Appendix VIII It does not give you any academic exemptions from the Part 66 examinations.

However you could discuss with the national authority that will issue your licence to see if Pilot/FE qualification would provide exemption EASA rule is that the decision lies with the NAA

However the light at the end of the tunnel is that it does counts towards the experience level required for the issue of the licence. This can consists of 50% over the last 12 months and the rest over the last 7 years. As long as you have kept the relevant logbook where you stated the maintenance carried out, your signature and pilot licence number

khaledalmlah

Look in this forum (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/index.php) a lot of adverts for Part 147 organistations in the UK that will take non EU students but is can be expensive