PDA

View Full Version : Comair Corruption????

rabidrabbit
9th Nov 2008, 09:59
is it true comair tried to bribe their way into controlling air malawi? or that bossman novik will emigrate to nz?

Kernel
9th Nov 2008, 11:01
Yes!! It is all true! The 2 sheep and one head of cattle that was slipped discreetly to the Malawian goverment for control of the airline was not enough to win them over.
As for the bossman going to NZ, its a fact! From next year February Comair New Zealand will commence operations (headed up by both Comair and Air Malawi management) operating B777's and A350's into Johannesburg and Lanseria. Rumour also has it that if there is another demand from the public, Wonderboom will be considered as a 3rd destination.

Sardyn
9th Nov 2008, 13:29
I believe they are also getting float planes and crews are now donig skippers licenses...

Shrike200
9th Nov 2008, 18:24
Yup, this is the way to do it....right now, plenty of people are working hard to find the truth, whatever it may be, using legal and other investigative methods (I assume). But you, you've got a better idea! You can cut out all that hard work stuff by simply 'asking on pprune', where no doubt some wise, kind soul will just tell you the complete, verifiable truth for all to see - genius!

ThreeHolerHauler
9th Nov 2008, 18:28
Hehe. I love verbal-reset-slaps.

rabidrabbit
10th Nov 2008, 02:40
ya well frankly i have heard so many rumors reharding this i figured so would everyone else

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Nov 2008, 04:35
Their entire fleet is having new chemtrail spray tanks fitted as well, I hear.

There! That should keep the tinfoil hat wearers occupied for a few hours trying to bite their elbows.....:E

unstable load
10th Nov 2008, 12:35
Like it lots, TWOTTIE!!:ok:

flux
10th Nov 2008, 13:31
Shrike, considering how vocal the noble young Novic is about the injustice being done to him, I believe it is a fair question!

eikido
10th Nov 2008, 14:37
Corruption?????
In Africa???????????????

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Romeo E.T.
10th Nov 2008, 17:56
how does the saying go.."where there is smoke...there is..?"

not always so.

saywhat
10th Nov 2008, 18:22
how does the saying go.."where there is smoke...there is..?"

Another farmer on his way to NZ

Gunship
11th Nov 2008, 01:07
This newspaper seems quite sure of their article. It is quite strange the SA press has not jumped into the debacle. Then again they can not count goats ;)
Greetings.

Minister bribed in Air Malawi/Comair deal

Nyasa Times 27 October, 2008 01:00:00
http://www.nyasatimes.com/thumbnail.php?file=goodall_936655452.gif&size=article_medium
Gondwe: Made several advance arrangements with Comair to buy major stakes in new airline

Malawi’s well respected minister of finance, Goodall Gondwe has been implicated in benefiting from corrupt means in the sale of the country’s flag carrier, Air Malawi to Comair of South Africa.

Nyasa Times has gathered information implicating Gondwe to have received knowing gratification from Comair in the deal to sell the country’s airline.
Government disclosed a few weeks ago that it would liquidate Air Malawi company and establish a new one jointly with a partner, Comair.Comair, according to a leaked memo from Finance Minister Goodall Gondwe to President Bingu Mutharika dated September 10, 2007 Ref. Number MF/3/19,could have taken over Air Malawi by December 1, 2007.
Gondwe told the last budget meeting of the national assembly that the airline has become a public liability.

Sources say Comair has made several advance arrangements with the Minister of Finance to buy stakes that are major in the National Airline.Gondwe met officials from the company in RSA (Michael Angelo Hotel) in June 2007, January, March, May and June through the then Minister of Transport Henry Mussa whereupon they were promised K40 million as a bribe.
In addition, the duo have from that time been hosted by officials of Comair in RSA and they are either accommodated at Michael Angelo, Intercontinental or Regents Hotels in Sandton.
Nyasa Times investigation reveals that Gondwe opened an account with Standard Bank with the 70,000 South African Rands he got from a Mr. Meyer acting on behalf of Comair.

A housing plot was identified in midlands between Johannesburg and Tswane area for the construction of a house but Gondwe opted for Gallager Residential area.
“When there was stiff from the then Chairperson Jimmy Koreia Mpatsa, Goodall Gondwe told Comair through Mr. Meyer to purchase a house at Isando closer to OR Tambo International Airport,” disclosed a well-placed source.
Malawi’s Finance Minister thus opened an investment account with ABSA bank close to Eastgate in August 2007.
This account, according to investigations has never done any transaction with a Malawian bank and all deposits are from within RSA.
In the interim Gondwe has officially communicated to the Privatization Commission and this official correspondence was forwarded to Comair as evidence so that the transaction for the Isando House can start in earnest.

Government is offering 49 percent shares in the new airline to Comair, with an option for the new operator to buy up to 80 percent of the stakes.
However, many Malawians criticised the sale of the flag carrier as former finance minister Aleke Banda said it will be a “huge mistake” for government to dispose off Air Malawi.
“It is important to preserve some of the national assets. Actually, government should do everything possible to save the airline. I know of countries that are regretting their decisions to dispose their airlines in a hurry,” Aleke who recently announced retirement form “hard core politics” said recently.
Another former finance minister Friday Jumbe said there was need for government to revitalize the ‘struggling’ airline for the sake of national pride.
Air Malawi established by an Act of Parliament and started operations in September 1967. has only three aircrafts, AT42-320, Boeing 737-300 and Boeing 737-500.

AT42-320 has a capacity of 50 passengers while Boeing 737-300 has a capacity of 116 passengers and are both used for short haul routes. Boeing 737-500 has a capacity of 132 and is being used for both short and medium haul routes.

“Air Malawi is technically bankrupt and keeping it as is, is basically betraying tax-payers in Malawi who require these resources for better use (health, education etc). Zambia has no national airline, but its airports are busier than those in Malawi. The private carrier currently operating has grown by the day,” argued economist Watipaso Mkandawire on his blog.
Mkandawire said succumbing to the “reality in the world of flying” he is supporting that Air Malawi should be liquidated

three eighty
11th Nov 2008, 03:33
Good to see you back Guns
Hope to hear more from you

flux
11th Nov 2008, 05:41
Welcome back guns!

Fluffy flyer
11th Nov 2008, 09:28
To the following…………

Kernel
Sardyn
Shrike200

Don’t you think you were just a bit quick off the mark with regards to your criticism towards rabidrabbit.

After reading the post by Gunship doesn’t it make you realise that rabidrabbit had a fair question to ask

Have a happy day

Der absolute Hammer
11th Nov 2008, 09:49
So - Comair is British Airways franchise since 1996.
Comair wants to buy Air Malawi.
Comair bribes Malawi minister.

British Airways implicated in bribery of Malawi minister?

Shrike200
11th Nov 2008, 12:55
The question itself isn't really the issue (these are very serious allegations) - but if you read between the lines, my issue is with what the OP actually wants. Because, all you'll get on pprune is perhaps a clarification of what the rumours/allegations themselves actually are, as has happened here (Guns's link). With something of this magnitude, dealing with the business deals of upper management, I believe there is absolutely no way you will get any more concrete info here than you would reading any readily available newspaper. And so far, nobody has any info at all, other than a link restating the cause of the original question. From a newspaper. Which proves my point, so far at least.

Let me summarise - whilst the question (Is it true?) is valid, there is no point asking it here - a verifiable answer (ie, Yes it is true because of x, y, and z) will not, IMHO be forthcoming. Only time will tell.

flux
11th Nov 2008, 13:09
Fair enough, point taken.

rabidrabbit
11th Nov 2008, 14:03
i am wondering what all this means though... that story looks pretty convincing to me - :confused: