PDA

View Full Version : XN246

Corsairoz
8th Nov 2008, 22:49
There was mention of the Kirby Cadet XN246 in another thread.

I too achieved my first solo in this aircraft, at West Malling, sometime during 1970. I have my ATC log book with the exact date, but damned if I can find it tonight.

Since reading the thread, and working at the SolentSky museum today, I took this pic. Apologies for the poor light, it was a dull day in Southampton today.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/corsairoz/SN200597.jpg

I can remember a lot, seems only last year.
The absolute thrill, of course.
The persuading my parents that yes, I really had done that as a 16 year old.
I remember the 'all clear above and behind' shout.
The instructor whacking you over the head when you messed up or didn't listen
The bat signals to the winch operator.
Testing the winch cable release by pulling backwards and normally falling over
4 minutes in the air after a 900ft launch
And I remember my friends in the same ATC squadron sent home and not allowed to fly because their hair was too long.

And, most of all, I remember the sheer instilled passion in me, still there today. Nothing has ever come close to the early feeling of free flight.

I really do not know if I would ever have got to be a pilot without that opportunity courtesy of the RAF. 'Thanks' comes no-where close to my gratitude.

Great memories.

Anyone else have keen memories of their early ATC Gliding Experience?

Trevor

ATSA1
9th Nov 2008, 13:49
Blimey! Memories indeed!

I went solo at West Malling in May 77, after doing a couple of AEG's previously, at Tangmere...

1st glider flight - 45mins in a Sedburgh, freezing in shirtsleeves at 4000ft!

Then W.Malling on Mk.III's...

Instructors pulling the wires on the spoilers, on the struts in front of them, so you would get a rubbish launch, and have to fly a low circuit.

Medium cable breaks - 2 S-turns and down..a colleague did 2 S-turns from 80ft! must have scared his instructor a bit!

Flying Solo, and the Mk.III actually feeling like it wanted to fly, without 13 stone of Instructor in the back! I made 1200 ft on each of my 3 solos, up from the 950-1000ft dual

"All clear above and behind....take up slack............All Out!"

Plank Cap
10th Nov 2008, 13:07
Same same............ first solo aged 16 at West Malling (which I believe is now a housing estate....:hmm:) in a Kirby Cadet circa 1981.

It rained for the whole week of the course, and even at 60kt the open cockpit allowed a face-stinging drenching. One way comms only, and can't remember whether it was Sir who could here you, or vice versa. Abiding memory was the feeling of sheer elation in achieving unaided flight during the single solo, albeit for 3 minutes.

Now somewhat more grey, tired and slow, and in the left hand seat of the Boeing 777 for Emirates in Dubai.

Fitter2
10th Nov 2008, 16:22
March 7th 1960, Cadet Mk3 WT919, Kirton in Lindsey.

Start of now aproaching 50 years gliding, and still fun.

It was only recently I looked up the date of first solo, to think about a Golden Gliding Anniversary, and realised it was also my wife's 10th birthday (although our first date was some years in the future).

Synthetic
10th Nov 2008, 20:20
Old Sarum, 16 years old so it must have been '75. I remember running through the pre flights waiting for the instructor to get in.

He didn't.:uhoh:

chevvron
11th Nov 2008, 05:58
Was the 'XN' serial not indicative that it was originally a Mk 2 with straight wings but re-manufactured with Mk 3 type tapered wings.
Ist solo aged 16 yrs 1 month (couldn't start training until your 16th in those days) Oct '64 in Mk 3 XA305 at 613 GS RAF Halton.

Fitter2
11th Nov 2008, 07:10
Hi Chevvron

I think you have your Cadets mixed up. The cadet that had straight wings was the single seat Cadet Mk 1 (Slingsby Type 7 'Kirby Kadet) The taperered wings were first fitted to the single seat Cadet Mk 2 (Slinsgby Type 8). ATC production was serialised VM 634 - 667, 681 - 696, and VW 528 - 539. The wings were later modified slightly - a small strut between the front strut and the wing to allow for higher A.U.W. and fitted to a different two seater fuselage to make the Type 31 (Cadet Mk 3), 131 built new and delivered to the ATC, starting with WT865.

So both wings and fuselage are different, and share no components other than some control linkages with the Cadet Mk 1.

LowNSlow
11th Nov 2008, 07:18
Ahhh memories. Summer 1971 was the first time I got airborne in anything apart from going flying over the handlebars of my bike. I remember being amazed at hearing dogs barking from 1,500' on the downwind leg after the winch launch from Swansea's tarmac. The launch was a fantastic sensation that has stayed with me all these years.

I took my kids to Duxford and there was a T31 being rebuilt. When I told them that was the first aircraft I flew in they looked at me as if I was one of the Wright brothers!

Arclite01
11th Nov 2008, 17:30
AEG Cadet in 1979 - Friday night at West Malling (XA309) - had to fly in the back seat because I was too small and light to go in the front seat............

First solo in the Venture - just amazing......................

Staff cadet West Malling - 1982 - solo in the Cadet MK3, the best day ever - wind changed and weather cr@p - we are going to hangar fly them all and go home....................... I was dragging cables over to gliders when suddenly there was only me and the duty instructor left at the launch point, plus 1 Cadet Mk3.........he said - 'you flew solo this morning didn't you ?' - 'yes' says I - he says 'Can you cope with hangar flying this one solo while I get the caravan back ?' - could I ? - 'a quick briefing and suddenly I was airborne and flying a circuit I'd never flown before................ I had had 9 solos total (approx 20 minutes) - the buzz of landing even near the hangar was just amazing..................... Thanks Mr Morgan (sure that was his name..... !!!)

I've never forgotten that - loved every minute

Arc

ARCHIE1
11th Nov 2008, 18:11
RAF Hornchurch 1959. 16 years old. CCF cadet. Started on an A-frame basic glider, launched by bungee, straight hops only. Continued to the T31 Cadet and the T21 Sedburgh, winch launched. Soloed on the Cadet and, on one circuit, was caught under a large black cloud downwind and held aloft long enough (against my better judgement) to qualify for a C (15 mins + duration?)! Not my favourite mode of transport although I enjoyed a surprise aero-towed trip in a modern type for my 60th. However, the gliding experience was useful the next year when I found glide approaches and practice forced landings quite straightforward in the Tiger Moth (solo at 17 years 4 days). Happy days.

WE992
8th Dec 2008, 23:45
I'm still flying a T.31 at Keevil, Wilts. XA310 which spent almost its entire life with 621 GS. Anybody got any photos of it?

FLCH
9th Dec 2008, 01:23
Soloed at 16 in a Kirby at RAF Cosford in 75. It was something I'll never forget. Now 30+ years later it's all "push button glory" flying so in my spare time I fly sailplanes (and not very well I might add) :}

JEM60
9th Dec 2008, 08:21
Memories???. I should say!!. Started as a cadet at 613 Gliding School at RAF Halton, and was a member of 1365 ATC Squadron in Aylesbury. Completed my course, and was walking across the airfield with one of the instructors, and asked if there was any way I could do some more!!. Silly question, I thought. He replied 'Actually. we need a Staff Cadet, you'll do!!!'Net result was promotion to Corporal, an RAF airfield driving licence at age 16 [!!!], Daily inspection of the winches before everybody else arrived, 3 years of driving winches, flying gliders, getting bombed from 1200 feet by horse mushrooms, organising the days flying to make sure it went smoothly, did a time and motion study on why we were down on number of launches for several week-ends, to discover most of the time was being wasted by instructors talking away to each other, lazing about in the hot sun, and, ignoring wife and family coming into this, undoubtedly the best time of my life!!!!

JEM60
9th Dec 2008, 08:37
Nearly forgot!!!. Winch failure on my first soloat 400feet!!! Got my attention! Chucked the rope away and 'S' turned quite safely. Exciting!!!!

dakkg651
9th Dec 2008, 09:37
WE992

Check PMs

GSX1250FA
23rd Dec 2010, 19:50
I did my A+B in XA310 at Locking, just found my progress card and I soloed on the 31st March 1975, my instructor was G W Beard. Thanks for the memories!

Tim Perry

WE992
24th Dec 2010, 17:12
Tim

XA310 is currently owned by me and still going strong. The aircraft is on loan to 621 VGS Historic Flt at Hullavington.

GSX1250FA
30th Dec 2010, 15:17
XE992, thanks, I'd love to see '310 again, so I'll get in touch with the Historical Flight at Hullavington if I may. I might wait until there is a little less ice and salt on our roads though!! Not so clever when on 2 wheels!

Tim Perry