PDA

View Full Version : French Airport Security

OFSO
7th Nov 2008, 07:17
At Perpignan airport yesterday I noticed in the window of the one-and-only shop, which is in the main coucourse by the entrance door, a notice which said:

"Wine purchased in this shop can be carried through security checks onto the aircraft. The wine will be placed in a sealed bag with a copy of your boarding card. Only wine purchased in this shop may be carried onto your flight in this way."

Just supposing that liquid explosives do present a risk, has Perpignan not thought that one could purchase wine, take it out to the car park, open the "sealed" bag (not difficult from what I saw), replace the bottle, reseal it, and carry it back onto the flight ?

Incidently both Fois Gras and Camembert are security no-nos and cannot be taken on the aircraft at Perpignan, so "they " are still protecting us, partially.....

Katamarino
7th Nov 2008, 09:40
It's the same at Schipol. Seems trivially easy to abuse this system, but stopping sales would interfere with the airport's primary purpose, which is to make money. Safety is not at the top of the list of priorities (although I am sure its close to the top), anyone who thinks it is is probably kidding themselves :bored:

VAFFPAX
7th Nov 2008, 10:04
Provided you have access to their specific sealable bags, yes, you could theoretically do that. But don't you think they'd look at you twice if you asked for a second bag, with seal strip still in place? Why on earth would you want a second bag that was not sealed yet?

The seal strips on such bags are usually glued such that once sealed, you would have to tamper with the bag to open it (i.e. cut it open, rip it open). The US has similar security, although generally the shops hang on to the bag with alcohol and tobacco and deliver it to the gate so you don't even have time to tamper.

S.

BelArgUSA
7th Nov 2008, 10:39
All you need is "151 proof" rum - and a match...
In a sealed bottle, of course.
Brand of rum is up to the preference of terrorist.
Works great on floor carpets and seat fabrics.
xxx
:*
Happy contrails

ZFT
7th Nov 2008, 20:46
Too true. IIRC, G-ASGO was destroyed wih nothing more than booze

LH2
7th Nov 2008, 20:58
Just supposing that liquid explosives do present a risk

Whether they do or not has no relevance or relation whatsoever to the current "security" theatre, so why should the Perpignan Commerce Chamber waste any money on it? They still need to go through the moves more or less like everyone else, so that's why there are any bags at all, but that's it.

el #
7th Nov 2008, 21:07
The bags have been introduced because now you can use them to handcarry booze in another airport, supposedly in the same trip:

TSA: Duty-Free Travel Information (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/duty_free_travel_alert.shtm)

I've linked the US version, just because it's more nicely written than the pathetic EU website.

Evidently, airport shop owners complained about diminished sales after liquids ban, and promptly got a solution.