PDA

View Full Version : Qantas "New" Advertising Tag

Ken Borough
6th Nov 2008, 08:56
Has anyone noticed Qantas's new 'original' advertising tag? Instead of using 'The Spirit of Australia', they now dub themselves 'The World's Most Experienced Airline'. The young people that now surround Qantas and its retainers have probably never heard of Pan Am but didn't Pan Am bill itself as 'The World's Most Experienced Airline'. And those who have heard of Pan Am know what happened to Pan Am!! Is the same end in store for Qantas? :}:}:E:E

PS Apologies if this has already been discussed.

packrat
6th Nov 2008, 09:15
Pan Am died because it failed to develop a domestic feeder network for its international operation.
The new Qantas tag is just marketing at its worst.
Qantas marketing has gone down hill in innovation under Scrotum Faces tenure.This latest effort indicates that they are bereft of any original creativity.
If you have a marketing degree and cant cut it in the real world get a job with Qantas where no one will notice you are incompetent

walaper
6th Nov 2008, 09:17
Perhaps they are counting on the technicality that KLM merged into Air France a few years ago but hey what the hell they also invented the wheel didn't they :}:}

Buster Hyman
6th Nov 2008, 09:27
I dunno...it kinda reminds me of Worlds oldest profession for some reason...:confused:

Keg
6th Nov 2008, 10:38
It has been done before (both the discussion and the tag line). I suspect that the geniuses in marketing are either too young to have heard the tag before or don't reckon that most people under the age of 50 know the original context.

Either way, it's a really crap tag line and opens us up for that famous old PA by BA when taxiing past a Pan Am aircraft that had something go awry:

There is the world's most experienced airline having another 'experience'

:{

Mstr Caution
6th Nov 2008, 10:51
Crappy like "Go your own Way"

FlexibleResponse
6th Nov 2008, 11:13
You would think that someone in Qantas advertising would be able to at least check Google?

Pan Am: The World's Most Experienced Airline
YouTube - Pan Am: The World's Most Experienced Airline (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_XlSsLVEI)

Perhaps a few more slogans to copy later on...

Pan American World Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_World_Airways)
Company slogan “The System of the Flying Clippers” (1946-1953)
"The World's Most Experienced Airline" (1953-early 1970s)
“Experience makes the difference” (early 1970s)
“America's airline to the world” (late 1970s)
“You can't beat the experience” (1980s)
“Die Flügel Berlins” (1980s, only in Germany)

Avid Aviator
6th Nov 2008, 11:21
Crappy like "Go your own Way"

Absolutely!

teresa green
7th Nov 2008, 05:13
Pandemonium Scareways (Pam Am) was a great old airline with a interesting history, sadly it was poorly maintained. In fact I remember a LAME telling me once when one broke down in SYD and QF had the dubious honour of fixing it, he remembers opening the oil cock and nothing came out, in fact he used a long spatula to have a dig around to see what was in there. Just solidified oil. He was amazed.Made the comment that the 747/200 with Pratt and Whitneys was like the old Holden car, just kept going no matter how much you abused it. Anyway when bits started falling of it in every possible way in went the way of a lot of airlines. If you can get a book about it, it would be a good read. A lot of history there.

Wod
7th Nov 2008, 06:27
Either way, it's a really crap tag line and opens us up for that famous old PA by BA when taxiing past a Pan Am aircraft that had something go awry:

Quote:
There is the world's most experienced airline having another 'experience'

Agreed. Made me very uneasy when I first saw the new tag line. I remember PA colliding with Bali, and the line about "another experience" ran around QF - more in the sense of black humour than a snide remark.

(QF in my experience of 30 years always acknowledged "there but for the grace of God" whenever anybody had a bad experience - only the odd clown tried to make mileage out of the fortuitous Jet accident history)

P.S. Keg - if you can start a petition or the like to have QF withdraw it, I'm sure I can find at least 100 retirees to sign up. In fact I'll start acting independently.

blow.n.gasket
7th Nov 2008, 07:53
What's the conservative estimate for the screening of Jetstar vs Qantas ads at the moment? 100:1 ??:bored:

Shlonghaul
8th Nov 2008, 03:38
What's the conservative estimate for the screening of Jetstar vs Qantas ads at the moment? 100:1 ??

Thought it was more like a 1000:1 !!!!!!! Until the A380s arrival I can't remember the last time I saw a tv ad for Qantas. It's all Geoffstar this and Geoffstar that when it comes to advertising. :ugh:

I say bring back the feeling Qantastic ads!! :E

whatever6719
8th Nov 2008, 05:12
I would love to see the Qantastic ad again!
I think I remember seeing it at the QF Heritage Museum at SYD.
There are a few golden oldies on Youtube which are worth checking out.
Just enter QF Ads in the search bar and they should come up. Some great ones of when the 747B first came out. Really nostalgic stuff!!

Don Esson
8th Nov 2008, 11:38
Is it true that the RESA at the end of 25 at Sydney is in fact a memorial to 'The World's Greatest Airline'? :}:}

teresa green
9th Nov 2008, 03:45
Just saw the new QF ad, so when did the pilots start flying around in their hats and no headsets. Or has the world progressed so much since I ceased flying that their headsets are actually in their hats! I suppose it covers up that bald spot you have been trying to hide from that georgous little new hostie down the back!:E

Howard Hughes
9th Nov 2008, 04:48
People don't need headsets any more, because despite all the focus on modern CRM techniques, they don't bother to communicate with each other!:E

Qantas just hasn't been the same since they stopped the 'Qantastic' series of ads...;)

http://www.oceans.com.au/qantas.jpg

Now that's an airline ad!:ok:

CYRILJGROOVE
9th Nov 2008, 09:55
Queers And Nuts Tarts And Sluts

Spinnerhead
9th Nov 2008, 21:43
If it were all Tarts and Sluts down the back - I wouldn't mind being called Queer and Nuts!

Wod
9th Nov 2008, 23:51
Is it true that the RESA at the end of 25 at Sydney is in fact a memorial to 'The World's Greatest Airline'?

That fits my recollection of a nosewheel on terrafirma and a cockpit over the water.

(Of course my recollection is not to be relied upon:\)

packrat
10th Nov 2008, 00:11
An outstanding contribution to the thread from someone who obviously is in posession of only half a neuron.

Razor
10th Nov 2008, 06:49
Interesting to see Jetstar is the official airline of the Rugby League World Cup whilst Qantas supports the Wallabies.
No thong-footed warriors at the Ra Ras please? Now off down the road you lot in the thongs there is a game of argy bargy down there......

Going Boeing
10th Nov 2008, 08:02
Jetstar may be the official carrier for the League World Cup but I doubt that many teams will fly around to the venues on Jetstar as the seat pitch would be "uncomfortable" for those of bigger stature.

CYRILJGROOVE
10th Nov 2008, 21:54
Packrat is That You Warren

teresa green
11th Nov 2008, 01:32
The average league supporter would never understand Rugby rules for a start. The fact that a scrum should be packed down properly, would go right over their heads, as for rucking and mauling...............I would swim with White Pointers to get to watch a game of Rugby, loved it as a kid and still have the cauliflower ears, from the second row, to this day. Hope QF continue to support it for a long time to come. (This post is not meant to start a football war from the cross country basketballers down south):oh:

max autobrakes
16th Nov 2008, 23:20
Hows this for an advertising campaign.

"The world's most experienced Airline,also has the world's most "experienced" aircraft".:ok:

Hugh Jarse
17th Nov 2008, 05:38
What a cracker! :}

Easy to pick Qantas - "PISS ORF", and the horse.:8

There were a few other easily recognisable airlines thrown in as well :E

Ka.Boom
18th Nov 2008, 10:22
Had another "experience" today at Avalon
Marketing has also had to withdraw an ad in the UK.
Seems they were a bit naughty about the seats they depicted on Qantas Aircraft.
At present QF operates 744s to the UK.The seat they used was from an A380 which wont be operating in that direction for a while.
Tsk Tsk

What-ho Squiffy!
18th Nov 2008, 21:47
And where are the suggestions for a better tag-line from the chorus of whining, carping peanut gallery?

Wod
18th Nov 2008, 23:10
And where are the suggestions for a better tag-line from the chorus of whining, carping peanut gallery?

Spirit of Australia and The Australian Airline for two.

(Pass the peanuts)

Ken Borough
19th Nov 2008, 09:56
Peanuts, but prefer cashew nuts, for me too! Don't know if it's been used before but what would be wrong with "QANTAS - THE Australian Airline"?

sthaussiepilot
19th Nov 2008, 10:09
To be honest I liked the previous slogan...

"The Spirit Of Australia" :ok:

But then again I suppose they had to change when they lost their spirit...:(

max autobrakes
19th Nov 2008, 21:41
No, just had to remove any references to being a part of Australia prior to changes in the Qantas Sale Act to allow management to Off-shore and "flag of convenience" carrier the whole group!:mad:

Ka.Boom
20th Nov 2008, 00:30
Qantas now no longer satisfies the criteria necessary to be accepted as a
Premium Carrier.
It will be soon rebranded as Qantas The Crackerjack airline....with the tag line of "less bang for your buck".This will apply to all aircraft in the fleet except the "manila folder"....which, as we all know, has definitely provided customers with more bang for their buck.
Qantas mainline will become the LCC of the Qantas Group and Jet* will assume the mantle of Premium Carrier in the Group.
Was this the intention all along?
If so "operation crackerjack" has been a resounding success.
Congratulations and well done to Scrotum Face and his team

teresa green
21st Nov 2008, 10:35
Its only by the grace of God/Budda/Allah/whatever, thats it not called McRoo right now, and up the proberbial creek without a paddle:*

argusmoon
24th Nov 2008, 07:44
How do you rebuild a brand that has been so badly trashed?
Where do you start?
Before you advertise anything make sure you can deliver.
Get the product right first and then promote it hard.
Problem is......its going to take a long time to get the product right.
In tandem you should try getting the employees back on side.
At Qantas there is a wellspring of good will from staff just waiting to be tapped.
Lets hope the new Qantas Queen has some balls.

prunezeuss
24th Nov 2008, 11:18
When you have a crap product and you want to position yourself in the premium market.
As has been said the QF mainline product is rubbish.They need to fix it before advertising.
You get an expectation differential.ie.advertising a product as premium when in actual fact it sux= Qantas