PDA

View Full Version : Does being a sim instructor help?

aviationluver
4th Nov 2008, 23:07
Mates,

I have the opportunity to apply for some sim jobs in the states. If accepted I could be teaching in some sims such as the B744, B757/767. I am NOT type rated in any of these aircraft. I do not think the hiring company would type rate me. Oddly, the companies do not state that a type rating is required for the job. So, my question is: Will sim instruction in heavy jet sims help me in getting a job with carriers that use jets such as the B757, B767, etc.? Do you know how Cathay, Emirates, etc. look at this type of stuff?

Hope to hear from you. :ok:

BelArgUSA
5th Nov 2008, 11:44
Definitely is a help to be an airline instructor.
xxx
I do simulator instruction, but should mention that I started as a line pilot first, then, instructing first in classrooms, then later, in simulators and finally as line captain as well, when I was with PanAm. When PanAm got Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 1991, I got a job with another airline overseas, and got hired as management pilot (so, not subject to seniority), instructor and examiner and ended as their 747 pilot training manager. You certainly could qualify the same way.
xxx
As far as getting qualified in simulator, well YOU can qualify for type ratings as well, if you hold pilot licences or certificates. A few years ago, I "qualified" myself in 737 simulators, yet never flew one, just so that I can always teach 737 trainees as well when they are short of instructors.
xxx
All the best to you -
:ok:
Happy contrails

SunShine23
5th Nov 2008, 17:17
Errr...could you explain how is it possible being an sim instructor on B 757...without getting the type rating ??
Do you have other experience ? JAR25 etc ?
My question is a little bit different but I wonder if FI/IRI would help for a carreer too...

and after I would be interested in simulator fi. How did you get this position aviationluver ?

adverse-bump
7th Nov 2008, 13:03
You've got to be having a laugh.

Firstly, why would any company take you on as a TRi when you have never flown anything bigger than a seneca? (im assuming your low hour as your in this forum )

And what do you think you could teach to a 744 captain with 30 + years experience on his next OPC? even if you did get a job you would be a laughing stock.

4Screwaircrew
7th Nov 2008, 16:03
As an instructor he would not be conducting an OPC; for that you have to be an examiner or check airman.

BitMoreRightRudder
7th Nov 2008, 16:32
Oddly, the companies do not state that a type rating is required for the job

Maybe not but surely they will expect applicants to have plenty of jet experience. I mean you can't teach someone to fly a jet if you have never flown one yourself! Or am I missing something?

Callsign Kilo
7th Nov 2008, 19:20
In my airline you must have 1500hrs JAR 25 time (737 in our case) before you can become an SFI. Definetly a great qualification, however I can't see anyone walking into this line of work without some reasonable experience.

aviationluver
14th Nov 2008, 20:36
Adverse bump,
Why do you assume that I haven't flown anything larger than a Seneca? I've got 2000 hours Part 121 jet time.

adverse-bump
14th Nov 2008, 21:05
Why do you assume that I haven't flown anything larger than a Seneca? I've got 2000 hours Part 121 jet time.

This Forum is NOT for Job-hunting Experienced Pilots!
...it is only for Wannabes trying to get their very first professional employment. So please do not clutter this forum up with requests for information about airlines and subjects of no value to Wannabes. We, of course, welcome contributions from experienced pilots who are here with the intention of informing and helping our wannabes.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Scroggs

Any Questions?